Jake707

What Surf Rope Handle Type Do You Prefer

Jake707    171

Over the weekend I had a little party and after a few drinks the pooh talking started, cuz that's what friends do, and one of the guys there has been on my boat a couple times and never got up on the board last summer yet claimed to have got up no problem on our other buddies Supreme. He noted that the main difference was I use the surf rope with just a thick braided end while on the other boat they use a short T handle style rope and that the T handle made it easier for him to get up. Ive never used one with a handle but once we learned how to pop up on take off we have never had problems getting up. Wanted to see what peoples feed back was on their preferred handle especially if you have rode with both. Obviously I want everyone to have a good time when they come out with us and getting dragged through the water until your hands give out usually just ends up frustrating people for the rest of the day so if buying a different style handle makes it easier it makes sense.

Edited by Jake707

Bongo Fury    640

We have both styles and have only used the handle style for the past 4 or 5 years.   I think it makes it easier to get up especially for bigger/heaver folks.

InfinitySurf    302

Have not had a T-handle...but have braided rope and the kind with single hand handle (like wakeboard but not as wide). Have had a few people struggle with the braided rope, usually bigger guys or women/kids that don't have the grip strength or balance required to hold a rope while you are dragged out of water. Takes a few times for them to get the hang of just standing up so they are not dragged...some dont get it at all. Takes all kinds to make the world go around

Darkside    248

As a bigger guy I love the handle.  Single hand triangle style.  The handle has a downside though,  if you fall accross it, you gonna get a NASTY BRUISE.   

RhuntIII    555

I do like the handles better than the rope end. I feel like I can square up my shoulders better with a handle than just a knotted rope end. 

Cwazy1    89

Small handle > t bar > braided rope. 

Some people just don't have the grip strength for a braided rope. T bar just looks weird. But get a small handle and never consider anything bigger than 8-10 inches. Thats too much risk for beginners. 

I hate bungees. They tend to shoot back at the transom of the boat, or back into the boat and worse hit someone in the head. Absolutely worst invention ever. I get it, it makes the sudden jerk of the rider on the wave easier to manage, but they either need to learn to deal with it or just fall. Not worth damage to boat or potentially injuring the crew. 

• Like 1

stoked    1,039

X5 on the "triangle" handle, we also have the inland surfer one to match the boat. I have a T handle and a Triangle, and we never touch the T. It's too difficult to hold on to with two hands and like everyone points out, it's very hard for bigger people to use. We have a 300lber in our crew who can't even get out of the water with the T

RhuntIII    555
3 hours ago, Cwazy1 said:

Small handle > t bar > braided rope. 

Some people just don't have the grip strength for a braided rope. T bar just looks weird. But get a small handle and never consider anything bigger than 8-10 inches. Thats too much risk for beginners. 

I hate bungees. They tend to shoot back at the transom of the boat, or back into the boat and worse hit someone in the head. Absolutely worst invention ever. I get it, it makes the sudden jerk of the rider on the wave easier to manage, but they either need to learn to deal with it or just fall. Not worth damage to boat or potentially injuring the crew. 

Thanks for the heads-up on the bungee. I thought is was kind of a gimmick but I do like the handle and the rope does match my boat. 

DrNate    426

Yep, triangle handle is the way to go

Cwazy1    89
7 hours ago, RhuntIII said:

Thanks for the heads-up on the bungee. I thought is was kind of a gimmick but I do like the handle and the rope does match my boat. 

Usually they can be removed as another section of the rope. Is yours fully integrated into the primary length of the rope?

Cwazy1    89

If it is, and the bungee is on the leading edge of the rope closer to the attachment on the pylon, I'd just tie a knot around it and avoid using it. 

RhuntIII    555
8 hours ago, Cwazy1 said:

Usually they can be removed as another section of the rope. Is yours fully integrated into the primary length of the rope?

No, It is a 18" section that can be removed. 

• Like 1

MFaso    56

I have the same inland surfer mentioned above. Fits both hands but is snug. Never bothered with just the rope or a T handle. Never used the wakeboarding rope because It's so much wider and I don't want anyone to get hurt.

We toss the rope on the other side of the wake and then someone in the boat pulls it in, or it stays there. I threw it back to my 6 year old who thought she was going to catch it and it hit her in the face, so now they all duck if I go to throw it back to the boat...:)

Anyway, the inland surfer rope seems to be quality and I can tell it's going to last. I shortened it a bit though. It's a little long stock but sections can be removed.

Nick213    583
1 hour ago, MFaso said:

Anyway, the inland surfer rope seems to be quality and I can tell it's going to last. I shortened it a bit though. It's a little long stock but sections can be removed.

You need a longer wave my friend :lol: Just kidding with you, it is a pretty long rope and most riders pull themselves in a bit but myself and a few of my friends can still find push in the wave at the end of the rope. 

Jake707    171

So if I'm reading it correctly I must have superior grip strength and riding skills to do so well with the rope haha    I think I will get that rope Nick I like the multiple grip angles it has so you're not limited to just the square handle even though the one that matches my color scheme is the more expensive version haha

• Like 1

MFaso    56
50 minutes ago, Nick213 said:

You need a longer wave my friend :lol: Just kidding with you, it is a pretty long rope and most riders pull themselves in a bit but myself and a few of my friends can still find push in the wave at the end of the rope. 

I can get about 15 feet back but I was seeing that a shorter rope pulls new people out of the water much better. The angle changes and it seemed to help them get up.

Nick213    583
3 minutes ago, MFaso said:

I can get about 15 feet back but I was seeing that a shorter rope pulls new people out of the water much better. The angle changes and it seemed to help them get up.

I've never tried shortening the rope for beginners. That's a good tip I'll try it next time I'm teaching someone.

InfinitySurf    302

My weekly surf partner has a bungee style rope, its built-in close to where it hooks to tower. Its the only bungee style rope I have seen in person, it is pretty thick and does not rebound much that I can tell. I don't notice much difference in it over mine actually.