sdawes

2017 Ri 237 vs LSV25

sdawes    19
17 hours ago, RhuntIII said:

@sdawes, curious as to what the boys were saying over on the Malibu forum? We’re you over there asking the same questions? Fabulous choice BTW. 

@RhuntIIINo, haven't been on the Malibu forum... but I bet it would have been interesting. 

• Like 1

Wakeballast    12

19430115_10211547134369026_126703687374834239_n.jpg.76e890538cb93f6353b86ace1a4e2a34.jpgafter owning 2 Malibu/Axis I can tell you, if surfing is the main focus, go centurion RI.

• Like 2

Gdmatson    25

The LSV is sold and we have a March 8th spray date. Bring on the Ri!!! Delivery mid to late April.

• Like 1

HutchCanada    4

Nice boat.  I was going to say the Raptor motor in the Bu is a deal breaker.  Just too damn loud.  PCM all the way

InfinitySurf    302

I have same opinion. Raptor is dealbreaker for me in any boat and the Malibu's are very nice, but much louder at interior. Lot of people say its the gear noise that gets so loud....not sure but would think they would insulate it better. Love Centurion but will admit I am very interested in the Supra SL cause of the backup redundant switches, the power tower and excellent wave and layout....the Raptor engine would be a huge problem for me tho and not sure that Supra will hold resale like Centurion either even tho they have gotten a lot better in last couple years. When I upgrade, will likely be an FI to save a little money and its such a sexy boat. I love the layout/look of that boat and am a fan of the single screen. No flip up lounge seats is only option FI does not have that I really wanted

Congrats on the new RI, incredible boats

Gdmatson    25

As am I. I had a lot of warranty issues with my 15 LSV and they only came with a 3 year. With that expiring, the warranty was one of the issues to look at a new boat. Mine came with a Indmar Monsoon GM 6.0L like the PCM. The current Bu’s have the raptor Ford motors and that combined with the diminishing quality everywhere else, drove me to look at other brands. After looking at all options and a few demo’s, we’re super excited to take delivery of the Ri237. We think it’s the perfect fit for our needs and expectations!

• Like 1

InfinitySurf    302
4 hours ago, Gdmatson said:

As am I. I had a lot of warranty issues with my 15 LSV and they only came with a 3 year. With that expiring, the warranty was one of the issues to look at a new boat. Mine came with a Indmar Monsoon GM 6.0L like the PCM. The current Bu’s have the raptor Ford motors and that combined with the diminishing quality everywhere else, drove me to look at other brands. After looking at all options and a few demo’s, we’re super excited to take delivery of the Ri237. We think it’s the perfect fit for our needs and expectations!

Any of your warranty issues motor related? (know you said it was not a Raptor, just curious). My ZR409 has not given me a single issue and been super happy with it in all areas, dont hear of too many issues with that engine, its been out a while now.

Biggest known downer to me about Raptor is how they say that you have to "hot lap" them after surfing to burn off the carbon cause they are a "performance" engine and made to run high rpm. To me that makes no sense when primary use for many people IS surfing....so why would you want an engine not designed to run at that rpm and load without having to run it at WOT for 15mins when you are heading home every time.... Know there have been O2 sensor issues as well due to that issue, think it has something to do with water or moisture getting to the sensors but understand that issues a little less. You would think they would be addressing and fixing these issues and telling people what they are doing, instead its VERY hard to find data on the Raptors that is translatable to a guy like me who is not a mechanic and just knows enough to maintain my stuff and keep it in good shape.

Gdmatson    25

Zero issues with the motor. A hydraulic line to the trans was not tightened properly from the factory, so the trans was replaced and 5 or 6 dash display replacements. The displays basically controls all boat functions, so that really sucked. They finally got it right and no issues last season. That made me comfortable to sell it. That 409 motor did a great job! Malibu has made some bad decisions and going from GM to Ford and back to GM next year, is a big one. 

Darkside    248

Quality issues from Tennessee,  is a fairly recurring theme.   I don't believe the Indmar motor/tranny combo is as well built as the PCM powertrain is.   Which is why Axis seems to have less issues than BU also...I had numerous issues with my 2015, including a blown tranny,  actual gears breaking type stuff.  Full on grenade!   Screen issues are the Achilles heel of BU.  I only had 3 screens replaced between 2 boats in 2 years.   The small 7" screen is horrible!

Everyone has issues, just seams more prevelent with some manufacturers.   

Edited by Darkside

HutchCanada    4

I've spoken to several techs over the last few years and pretty much all of them said the Raptor was a good motor but PCM the best.  And to stay away from Ilmor!  This is from guys who work on inboard engines on a daily basis.  I too was really impressed with the Supra SA. Overall a great boat and a fantastic wakeboarding wake.  Surf wake - it needed another 1500 on top of the max stock ballast.  That Raptor motor though...had to yell to talk over it!  I have had the PCM 343 and the 409 and both were problem free and ran beautifully.   Very DIY owner friendly for oil, belt and impeller changes, winterizing. 

Edited by HutchCanada

PharmD29    0

Why do people talk so much about Supras having better fit and finish than centurions? I've watched video demos and it just seems the hexagon vinyl looks so much better but again I've never been in one. Just curious as I am looking between Supra, Centurion, and Malibu. Took an M240 out the other day, absolutely decked out and honestly fit and finish on that as "okay", not really sure what i was expecting but something more considering it was 225k.