sdawes

2017 Ri 237 vs LSV25

sdawes    19

Hello everyone!

I am new to centurion crew, but not as a Centurion owner (have a 2015 Enzo SS210 w/quick surf). I am about to pull the trigger on upgrading to either a 2017 Ri237 or a Malibu 25 LSV. Both are priced at $117K, which levels the price playing field. Options are all pretty identical (ideologically) with surf systems, heaters, ballast (per model) and MSPR. Any thoughts on which way I should lean?

Thanks!

wheels    151
1 hour ago, sdawes said:

Hello everyone!

I am new to centurion crew, but not as a Centurion owner (have a 2015 Enzo SS210 w/quick surf). I am about to pull the trigger on upgrading to either a 2017 Ri237 or a Malibu 25 LSV. Both are priced at $117K, which levels the price playing field. Options are all pretty identical (ideologically) with surf systems, heaters, ballast (per model) and MSPR. Any thoughts on which way I should lean?

Thanks!

What will your primary use of the boat be?

sdawes    19

70% Surf/30% wakeboard. Mainly rivers and inland lakes in NORCAL.

carguy79ta    67

demo them both.  I have surfed a 237..it has a great wave...similar to the m235.  I would think the lsv25 would have an inferior wave than both the m235 and he RI237.

h20king    794

Demo both and you will go Centurion. The build the ride the wake and fuel economy  all go to centurion interior space goes to Malibu 

Darkside    248

First way different boats!  There are several of us on here who came from Malibu, and are NOT GOING BACK!

@BoardCo has some really good info on their blog, about different surf systems, etc.   http://www.mmwatersports.com/blog/

All surf systems are not equal.   Surfgate produces a very picturesque wave but lacks the power/push/ firmness of a Centurion wave.  There is also next to no adjustability, you have wedge settings and that's it.   Nothing like what the RI offers.   The RI can create a Malibu wave shape, but the LSV can't create an RI wave.  The wave from the RI will also be more consistent with push from the curl to platform. 

Other things to pay attention to if you demo both.   Interior noise,  the RI is really quiet,  if you get silent stinger it's super quiet.   With Surf wave going the RI will track straight and true,  the surfgate boats pull really hard.   Change surf sides while running.   The RI is great,  with a BU you better be ready! 

Inside quality is also very different,  the bu will have plastic inserts,  and drop in cup holders,  the RI cup holders are  finished with billet.   The sub "box" is terrible in the BU, in the RI it's literally part of the hull.   Vinyl on the RI is over 2x thicker vs the LSV.   The RI comes standard with GPS mapping,  and reversible pumps.   Malibu uses cheap aerator pumps,  so fill and drain times are 2x as long.  I could go on and on and on,  but you get the point.  All things considered the RI is just a better boat.   

Also being as your used to wakeboarding with CATS, the only way to balance the wake in the LSV is moving people around or filling/ draining ballast.  Whereas CATS cleans either side in just a couple seconds. 

Edited by Darkside
  • Like 2

wheels    151

Darkside pretty much nailed it. I will add that you will never get a wave over the bow on an ri, Malibu, very easy to do even with an experienced driver. Also there is no way to surf without using the wedge on the Malibu and it is by far my least favourite thing to drive with the wedge down on the Malibu. It feels like you are dragging a 2000lb anchor behind you dragging you down and make the motor scream. 

They are both very nice boats and we are not trying to slag the Malibu but demo both and take notice to what we are saying and decide for yourself. There is a good reason a bunch of us left Malibu behind when the ri and now the fi is out, centurion has upped their game in leaps and bounds in the last few years. 

• Like 1

sdawes    19

Thanks everyone for the feedback! We did drive both, the BU first and then the Ri. Definitely noticed a lot of what darkside & wheels talked about, but sometimes you get wrapped up in the mystique of a new boat and need a reality check! 

Gdmatson    25

My LSV is for sale. Headed to a Ri237 for all the above reasons.

• Like 1

Darkside    248
2 hours ago, Gdmatson said:

My LSV is for sale. Headed to a Ri237 for all the above reasons.

The RI is amazing,  you will be blown away.   It will take an outing or two to get used to the adjustability.  Make no mistake they can be as simple as press surf left and go.   However once you start playing with the knobs,  you will get a new appreciation for how good these boats are.    

Riding through chop smooth,  not worrying about chili dipping the bow, they are just awesome. 

• Like 1

RhuntIII    555

@sdawes, curious as to what the boys were saying over on the Malibu forum? We’re you over there asking the same questions? Fabulous choice BTW. 

• Like 1

ryno726    16

I recognize that face, lol.

All joking aside, if that's who I think it is, you're working with an awesome dealership!

• Like 1

Gdmatson    25
22 hours ago, Darkside said:

The RI is amazing,  you will be blown away.   It will take an outing or two to get used to the adjustability.  Make no mistake they can be as simple as press surf left and go.   However once you start playing with the knobs,  you will get a new appreciation for how good these boats are.    

Riding through chop smooth,  not worrying about chili dipping the bow, they are just awesome. 

Totally agree. The first time I was impressed by the fit/finished and smooth ride over my Malibu, but the wave felt strange to me. It was dialed in by a new dealer who hadn’t yet learned to set it up properly and it was different than the LSV. The second time, Ashley Kidd was sent up to help them out. I literally cannot wait until this summer. The LSV although a really nice boat, it’s just not in the same league!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Mrwick    65
30 minutes ago, Gdmatson said:

Totally agree. The first time I was impressed by the fit/finished and smooth ride over my Malibu, but the wave felt strange to me. It was dialed in by a new dealer who hadn’t yet learned to set it up properly and it was different than the LSV. The second time, Ashley Kidd was sent up to help them out. I literally cannot wait until this summer. The LSV although a really nice boat, it’s just not in the same league!

Beautiful boat and the right choice!  Plus, the ride with Ashley had to be worth the price of the new RI!   Lol.  ?

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Darkside    248
2 hours ago, Gdmatson said:

It's not tough,  but with all the adjustability you can create ANY wave shape.   You want flat Malibu style, list it and turn CATS into the wave.   You want super steep and barreling, set tabs lower and face CATS away from the wave.  Or any combination in between.  

• Like 1
  • Like 1