InfinitySurf

NY wake laws coming into effect

stoked    1,039

We're dealing with this on Lake Anna in VA. I'm mixed on my feelings. On Lake Anna they want 200ft (600 is RIDICULOUS!) and cite the same reasons. Current law is 100 (or 150, can't remember), but I've never seen them enforce it. I'd like to see them enforce the current laws first, then look to extend if erosion or other issues are still happening.

We're on both sides of the argument, we surf, but we also have a house on the lake with a boat house and little beach for my 2 year old daughter all within a no wake zone. Some people in our cove like to surf and buzz the no wake line staying on the legal side, but it's still a MASSIVE wave when it gets to her that would easily pick her up and slam her against the retaining wall or rip-rap. So needless to say, we don't let her play in an area that we built for her to play in. In this situation I'd love to see the surf boat get ticketed, I'd also like to see better driver awareness and responsibility.

An unpopular opinion for this site is that we're doing this to ourselves. We're trying to make bigger and better waves to surf. Bigger boats that hold more ballast, more water, with better systems to make even bigger waves, but we're not thinking about the repercussions. The damage to shore lines, other boats, and God forbid a little kid gets killed because of our our scenario above. There will be a breaking point, and we're starting to see it now.

• Like 1

carguy79ta    67

yeah on my lake the WP told me my wave is bigger than any he' s seen on our lake.  I am very aware of where the wave goes.  I basically throw it onto the shore.   we have a Corp lake so no improvements on the shore line.  the WP told me to not throw it in the direction of the marina.  we were 300 to 400yards away, but were the only boat out there when he pulled us over.  my saving grace uses are the most sober boat out there.  also dont surf if area is full of bassholes fishing.

• Like 1

RhuntIII    555

Someone need to quickly make a motion to set up markers/buoys that identify a no water ballast zone just the same as a no wake or no boating zone. Marking buoys need to be set along the shore with in visible sight of each other so to mark the 600 feet.

Cdifranco    463

Living waterfront I have more qualms with tubers than surfers. I find surfers pass my house once or twice and head down the lake, the tubers will just circle and figure 8 and circle by the house until all 8 kids get a ride. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

MFaso    56

The lake I'm in is half NJ and half NY. I surf both sides. I try and stay closer to the shore line because it doesn't both other boaters. We have a bunch of people who like to go out to the MIDDLE and drop their anchor and hang for hours. So, I try to be nice and not circle them surfing. But, if it's between the law and them, they'll need to anchor closer to shore, out of the way of boats that are moving.

600 is huge though. It looks like it's in the early stages. Hopefully that gets knocked down to at 200ft.

How do I measure anyway? Eye it up and hope my eye is better than the police? As the distance gets longer, that gets harder to do. They should put markers up if this goes into effect like Rhunt said...

stoked    1,039

They’re already putting up “no wake surf” buoys on Lake Anna

A4F8C377-038A-422D-8ADC-2C7E65CD069C.jpeg.4144590b5d8130ce7246500ec15b25cb.jpeg

Cdifranco    463
25 minutes ago, stoked said:

They’re already putting up “no wake surf” buoys on Lake Anna

A4F8C377-038A-422D-8ADC-2C7E65CD069C.jpeg.4144590b5d8130ce7246500ec15b25cb.jpeg

Put the house up for sale, you don’t need that negativity in your life. 

nailem    29
9 hours ago, MFaso said:

The lake I'm in is half NJ and half NY. I surf both sides. I try and stay closer to the shore line because it doesn't both other boaters. We have a bunch of people who like to go out to the MIDDLE and drop their anchor and hang for hours. So, I try to be nice and not circle them surfing. But, if it's between the law and them, they'll need to anchor closer to shore, out of the way of boats that are moving.

600 is huge though. It looks like it's in the early stages. Hopefully that gets knocked down to at 200ft.

How do I measure anyway? Eye it up and hope my eye is better than the police? As the distance gets longer, that gets harder to do. They should put markers up if this goes into effect like Rhunt said...

I would rather have people anchor close to shore and leave the open water for wakeboarding and surfing. 

I live on the lake and can't stand when any one buzzes the docks. Especially when they can stay 100 feet off with no problem.  

I also have found I can share a cove with two boats surfing and a boat wakeboarding then some a-hole pulling a tube comes in and destroys the cove. My kids lime to tube but I always do it in the main channel.

• Like 1

Cwazy1    89

This is where I'm glad the two lakes near me are either so heavily dominated by water sports (lake sammamish) or have wind swells bigger than any yacht wake (lake washington) that no one even bats an eye to our small wakesurf waves. 

• Like 1

stoked    1,039
19 hours ago, Cdifranco said:

Put the house up for sale, you don’t need that negativity in your life. 

Haha! Luckily it's not on our side of the lake, we're in wide open waters. I do wish they'd put it in our cove though... That and ''No tubing".

In similar news I made a potato gun this past fall. If I can hit you with a potato from our back porch, you're too close. 

stoked    1,039
15 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

how far can potato gun shoot?

I stuck with a 1.5 chamber to barrel ratio and that gets me about 300 yards with a 4 foot barrel. I can hit 100ft on the other side of the no wake buoy from our back porch with a 5 second spray of Aquanet... 

Disclaimer: Of course we don't aim at or shoot at any boats or any other objects on the water.

Jake707    171

Dam!!!! the Aquanet though?! they still sell that? My grandma had Aquanet right next to her Virginia Slims haha

stoked    1,039
47 minutes ago, Jake707 said:

Dam!!!! the Aquanet though?! they still sell that? My grandma had Aquanet right next to her Virginia Slims haha

I couldn't believe it either! https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Net-Professional-Hairspray-Unscented/dp/B003C6B48Q

You haven't lived unless you had your eyes and lungs coated in AquaNet...

Some dude did an entire comparison of potato gun fuel, AquaNet beat everything else out by far, it's probably what's keeping them in business.

Jake707    171

I believe it. I remember learning how flammable it was with a lighter as a kid........ and quickly learning that you shouldn't hold the spray down too long because the plastic cap will eventually melt and create a dam fire bomb haha

• Haha 1