Uglyduck17

Hurricane vs Avalanche vs Elite

Uglyduck17    0

Hey all, I was originally looking at purchasing a early 2000's Avalanche, upgrading from a mid 90's lapoint direct drive. Family is getting into every water sport and want a boat that can do everything but realize the compromise is, is that it won't do everything well, ski,surf,board etc.  We need something bigger than our old direct drive and therefore I raise the dreaded question, which centurion boat in the early 2000's would be right for me?  Avalanche, Hurricane, Elite or even Concourse?  I was looking at a Sky Supreme but noticed it is quite a bit narrower than the Hurricane which is narrower than the Avalanche.  What are your suggestions and thoughts?

RhuntIII    555

Absolutely loved my Avy and now that you mentioned family... get the biggest boat you can which in your group is the Avy. Once you start looking at the Avys, my opinion would be to get a C-4 and stay away from the walk through transom. Happy hunting and post up pics.

Troy    234

Go for the longest/widest boat you can afford. We love our Avy! Wish we had a bigger boat but our Avy is awesome. 

Jake707    171

I have an Elite and while I love it I would prefer the Avy. Both are general 22' boats but I think the Avy is 6" or so longer, but the big difference between the Avy is it has the wider 100" beam Hull while the Elite and Hurricane have the 95" beam. Your price range will be the main dictator though due to there usually being about a $10-15K difference between  an Elite and Avy. In Nor Cal mid 2000s Avys go for 35-45 depending on options while Elites are 17-25.  Either way I would suggest the C4 seating option instead of the walkthrough as well. If you can find one and its in your budget I would suggest looking for a Typhoon. Its the 23' long version of the Avy so its best of both worlds. All of them will but out a more than strong enough surf wave when set up right, the wakeboard wake is good but not very clean if you want to try and clear the wake (but lets be real who the hell wakeboards nowadays? People who have wake surfed yet that's who) and tubing and skiing its great.  There are Sky supremes with the wider beam V232 maybe or something like that and they feel huge inside but their wake surf wakes are meh at best. I have a friend with one and he swore by his until we went camping and he finally got into my Elite, which isn't even on par with most Avys.

Bigcatpt    408

The Avy is going to give you the most room.  Be careful on the Typhoon.  It is one foot bigger than the Avy....but the early 2000 models had the dreaded hull cut outs in the rear that are bad for the surf wave.

I know I am outnumbered here...but I really liked the walk-thru on my 2003 Avy.  I could still get a great surf wave on that side with the right sac configuration.  And it was really convenient to fish out of that side.  LOL Was that my out loud voice?  Am I even allowed to say that four letter "F" word on this site.  Admin please don't ban me!  LMAO!     

• Haha 1

Nick213    583

That was awesome bigcatpt, I fish off my boat to!

Obviously not hardcore but I'll definitely pick a hangout spot I might be able to catch a bass in hehe ? 

Edited by Nick213

Uglyduck17    0

He all thanks for the input. Question, how do tell what boat you are getting if all the stickers have been removed off of the boat.  I found an 2004 Avy that I may go check out, or at least I think it may be an Avy but I do not see the words Avy anywhere?  Is it on the Title?

RhuntIII    555

Post up pics and we can guide you through. There is also an Escalade which has the same hull as an Avy but less add ons and extras. 

Uglyduck17    0

Ahhh, Boat I was interested in sold.  Anyone ski behind a concourse? I know it's a big boat, but can you slalom behind it?

Bongo Fury    640

If you want to ski and surf suggest you look for a Falcon V.  Its only a 21 foot boat but has the 102" beam and was one of the first centurions to have the cab forward design..  It feels bigger than either the Avy or Elite in my opinion.   It has a cross over hull design.  My wife skied behind ours and we had it set up to make a sweet surf wave but it did take some weight to get there.  There are some good Falcon V threads on this site.  I loved my Falcon V.