HutchCanada

'15 FS33 dry weight: 4600 OR 5400?

HutchCanada    4

So I'm trying to find a definitive answer on the actual dry weight of the FS33 - its posted either 4600 or 53/5400 on the web. Anyone know for sure before I just go out and weigh it on a scale?

Cdifranco    463

I think my SV211 is around 4600. Would imagine the FS to easily weigh more. 

Keef    6

The dry weight of the FS33 was a mystery to me too.  My dealer confirmed 5400lbs and approx 6800lb on trailer.

lovetosurf    48
2 hours ago, Keef said:

The dry weight of the FS33 was a mystery to me too.  My dealer confirmed 5400lbs and approx 6800lb on trailer.

X2

InfinitySurf    302

my 2014 SV244 is either 5600 or 5800 dry weight....cant remember which one and sure the FS33 would be close to same.

I figure with fuel, batteries, tower, speakers, etc.....its pushing 7000lbs with gear, plus tandem trailer of 1200-1500. I need to put on scale sometime to verify too.

DjOM21    59

I find it doubtful that a FS33 is 5600#. 4600# Makes more sense. An Ri 237 is #5500 dry and that is a much bigger boat.

HutchCanada    4

Well folks - went by the local truck scale here in Canada today.  Here are the weights.  Boat had a 1/2 tank of fuel.  No other crap on the boat like boards, PFDs, coolers, etc.  Bimini top removed.  Mooring cover on.  Boat has all options except Quick Surf.

Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L crew cab with full tank of gas + '15 FS33 (1/2 tank gas) and Boatmate tandem axle trailer = 13000lbs

Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L crew cab with full tank of gas = 5852lbs

So 13000 - 5852 = 7148lbs actual towing weight

Actual "wet" boat weight 7148 - 1500 trailer = 5648lbs.  Didn't weigh the trailer without the boat (!!!) so have to go with Boatmate's posted tandem axle trailer weight for the FS33.   

There you have it - the actual "dry weight" of the FS33 is around 4600 lbs NOT 5400.  Typically you add 20% to the dry weight to get actual weight.  4600 +20% = 5520lbs.  My boat had just gone through a massive downpour so that could account for the extra weight.  The FS33 DOES NOT have a dry weight of 5400 lbs as posted on many sites.  Sorry Keef but your dealer was off by 800 lbs.

Edited by HutchCanada
  • Thanks 1

Keef    6
59 minutes ago, HutchCanada said:

Thanks for posting Hutch and am very happy that my dealer was off by 800lbs! I was concerned that I was a little over my max towing capacity of the GLS.  I have only pulled the boat about 5 miles with her, so the jury is still out...
Looks like this Saturday is going to be in the upper 60's may take a short road trip to Granbury Lake. :)

HutchCanada    4

I suppose weights can vary from boat to boat.  The only sure way to know is to weigh it at a scale.  Pretty much all city waste and recycling transfer stations (the really big ones) will have scales. Took a minute to weigh the truck/boat/trailer, and another minute to weigh just the truck.  Due to tongue weight you have to detach the trailer completely 

Jake707    171

Question I have is why would anyone care about dry weight when its not a practical measure? Real world scenarios would involve a "wet" boat, meaning all fluids included.

• Thanks 1

Dreamer    96
15 hours ago, HutchCanada said:

Well folks - went by the local truck scale here in Canada today.  Here are the weights.  Boat had a 1/2 tank of fuel.  No other crap on the boat like boards, PFDs, coolers, etc.  Bimini top removed.  Mooring cover on.  Boat has all options except Quick Surf.

Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L crew cab with full tank of gas + '15 FS33 (1/2 tank gas) and Boatmate tandem axle trailer = 13000lbs

Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L crew cab with full tank of gas = 5852lbs

So 13000 - 5852 = 7148lbs actual towing weight

Actual "wet" boat weight 7148 - 1500 trailer = 5648lbs.  Didn't weigh the trailer without the boat (!!!) so have to go with Boatmate's posted tandem axle trailer weight for the FS33.   

There you have it - the actual "dry weight" of the FS33 is around 4600 lbs NOT 5400.  Typically you add 20% to the dry weight to get actual weight.  4600 +20% = 5520lbs.  My boat had just gone through a massive downpour so that could account for the extra weight.  The FS33 DOES NOT have a dry weight of 5400 lbs as posted on many sites.  Sorry Keef but your dealer was off by 800 lbs.

Your numbers are close to my 2014 SV244. There was no gear in the boat but with half a tank of gas and a little water left in one of the ballast bags, four Icon 8 tower speakers, 12" sub, etc. it was 7194#'s on the trailer.

InfinitySurf    302

Good to know, appreciate you posting that info. Makes me feel a little better too since my truck is rated at 9300lbs and the 8500 I thought I was around, was pushing it IMO tho I have no issues with acceleration or braking. So nice to know its more like the 7200 you weighed yours at...tho I haul all my gear, full fuel tank and 400lbs of lead in mine so still probably around 7800-7900 when said and done. Still....I can rest easier now knowing the trailer is  not maxed either.

Keef    6

Took the FS33 to a CAT Scale today.

The boat was just about loaded as I would tow for the exception of our 2 wakeboards and 1 surf (35lbs), ropes, and consumables. Boat currently has a little less that 1/4 tank per the needle. All life jackets (total of 12), 4 boat fenders, a Danforth anchor, Box anchor, safety/first aid box.

Here are the numbers.

Boat/trailer weight = 7,480 lbs
Tongue weigh = 480 lbs

Attached is the report.  If any lives on the south side of Dallas, TX  and wants to weigh their rig; the Loves Truck Stop in Midlothian is very accommodating.  They charged me a total of $13 - $11 for the first weight and 2 for the re-weigh.

I am now debating on downgrading the vehicle and finding a more suitable vehicle for towing.  With boards I am about I am a little over the towing capacity, but tongue weight I am under by 120lbs.

Decisions, decisions....

MB450 Weight.jpg

MB450 FS33 Weight.jpg

Edited by Keef
updated images

wheels    151
7 hours ago, Keef said:

Took the FS33 to a CAT Scale today.

The boat was just about loaded as I would tow for the exception of our 2 wakeboards and 1 surf (35lbs), ropes, and consumables. Boat currently has a little less that 1/4 tank per the needle. All life jackets (total of 12), 4 boat fenders, a Danforth anchor, Box anchor, safety/first aid box.

Here are the numbers.

Boat/trailer weight = 7,480 lbs
Tongue weigh = 480 lbs

Attached is the report.  If any lives on the south side of Dallas, TX  and wants to weigh their rig; the Loves Truck Stop in Midlothian is very accommodating.  They charged me a total of $13 - $11 for the first weight and 2 for the re-weigh.

I am now debating on downgrading the vehicle and finding a more suitable vehicle for towing.  With boards I am about I am a little over the towing capacity, but tongue weight I am under by 120lbs.

Decisions, decisions....

MB450 Weight.jpg

MB450 FS33 Weight.jpg

What are you towing with?

Keef    6

Hey Wheels

My tow vehicle is a Mercedes GLS 450.  It pulls like a champ and have already pulled the boat out of the lake with ease.  Yesterday, the vehicle floated more than I liked on the highway when I would drive over dips in the road.  I noticed this morning that my tire pressure was about 4lbs lower than recommend  for towing.  I am guessing this was the cause...

I pulled my Craz from Dallas to Hot Spring last year and was completely comfortable.  The V6 biturbo did great pulling uphill into Hot Springs.

I believe that the Craz was about 300lbs lighter than the FS33. I just to be more aware of my tire pressure.  Probably need to add to my check list.