wesblake

Elite c4 surf and value?

wesblake    8

Okay off, I'm buying my first boat for myself and I could really use some help. Hopefully some quick info since I'm out of town on this option!

I've been looking for a centurion because I've heard that it's the best used boat to buy and get a great surf wake out of it without too much trouble. I put down a deposit on a boat I found while out of town because it's extremely low hours, only 60.

http://www.boulderboats.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?veh=4948244

First of all, how do I value this? The salesman of course gave me the pitch and told me it should have been listed at 32 or 33 so it's a super great deal. NADA says 27 for high retail, 22 for low, but gives no fields for hours, and a lot of other things are not considered either. Such as level of stereo, accessories, Etc. Just searching boats.com and the like I get prices that are all over the place.

So in general, from the century and experts I hope, what would you all considered a great purchase price for this? Then the important question, I'm looking at something I can still do everything with since I grew up waterskiing. I water ski a couple times a year still, mostly wakesurf, little bit of wakeskating. This seems like a hole that will do both still. So, how is the surf wake on this boat? It has the built-in Center ballast and I'm willing to add the wakemakers locker bags, and some sort of wedge or system if I need to, I just want to know that I can make a good surf wake with it. My parents have a Sanger v210 and it's been a great multipurpose boat but it's sometimes difficult to get a big surf wake out of.

Thanks!

wesblake    8

I should mention it's pretty much bare. There are board racks but they need new bungies, it has 4 speakers and a deck but it likely has to all be replaced. I'm going to have to do perfect pass still and tunes.

DrNate    426

I have surfed behind an Elite V and the surf wave was absolutely huge, it actually surprised me.  But I will say that this particular boat was SLAMMED, and I mean like rub rail under the water slammed.  So it will put out a good wave but it does like weight.  Should be no problem skiing or wakeskating behind it.  I have now idea how the Elite V's do with a wake shaper on them.  Maybe someone will chime in.  

As far as value, NADA is pretty accurate and I would think that you could expect to pay above "low retail" on this boat because it looks so clean and has hardly any hours.  For your price range, you could surely find an older Avalanche also and they surf great also.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

wesblake    8

Thanks! Sounds like a good multi purpose setup for me. I'm hearing that even the expensive new surf models are being heavily sacked for commercials and such so I can't get away from it, as long as I can do it without walking over bags. There was a V210 next to it and it does appear to me a much deeper V on the Centurion.

I'm still not sure where I'm supposed to go with price, you saying something in the middle like 25? Want the best deal I can but don't want to low ball either.

dreikorncr    7

DrNate threw some good information your way. They can put out a great wave and will be good overall for wakeboarding and even skiing. My advice is to ask if the hours are low just due to low use, or because the block has been replaced and these are the hours on the new motor just to know what you are getting yourself into (not that a replacement motor is a bad thing). Also, that price range will get you into a gently used Avalanche, which is a little bigger and I can tell you from personal experience owning two that they will throw great waves, wakeboard wakes, and are solid boats all around. However, that is a great clean slate and will make for a great first boat! 

wesblake    8

Thanks. I did ask about the motor. He verifies it's original hours. It's actually his brothers boat who simply hasn't had time. Said he kept it in his barn and just didn't get any time on it. Interior, carpet, hull all look like 60, barely touched. Had a picture of his brother with the boat when he got it. I'm thinking given its much like a new boat for the year, it would be fair to try for nada high, 27.

I've looked for Enzos and Avalanche too but most have 4-600 on these years like the family Sanger, so this seemed to be a great find to get going.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

06warrior    1

I have an 06 same model and surfs great,wakeboard is good with strategic placed weight.overall I love it so far,had it three seasons now and got mine with 80hrs

InfinitySurf    302

Low hours on a boat can SOMETIMES be problematic...only cause they are made to be used. Low hours is no issue if properly stored. Check fuel lines to be sure no ethenol in system (will eat away the inside of the fuel line)....unless it can be proven that entire boat was gone thru recently, make sure you change ALL fluids, impeller, etc. You will want to look at plugs, wires, rotor and cap. Basically, all the wear items need to be checked. Dont take any chances on the impeller since that is the one thing that will cause it to overheat for sure and can cause much bigger issues. The good thing about it being basically stock is there is good chance it was never run hard and will last you a long time if you properly service it before using it. FYI....you can have boat checked out thoroughly for around $300 to get compression tests, etc. Guess it depends on how much you currently know about inboard boats.

Best thing you can do is educate yourself about the boat so you can maintain it yourself. Not only will you save money, but doing it yourself ensures it is done right. This site is a great source of info...I have learned TONS since joining this forum. For $30, you can become a supporting member which helps keep this site up and running for everyone and the first time you get help it will pay for itself 3 times over. With a great boat like this, my bet is you will be on here often getting everything fixed up like you want it for the Spring. IMO, Centurion is the best boat out there. I have done the research and am no "fan boy", just calling it like I see it as I have looking into every brand out there, new and older. From what I have seen, you are on the right track regarding the money, stay respectful and you may be able to feel them out a little better to see what their bottom line is, I have seen these go for $30k and its worth what the buyer is willing to pay. This is one of the rare times of the year that its a little more of a buyers market tho not by a lot depending on where you live...lot of it depends on condition (which seems excellent)...and the options like you said. Some things like Perfect Pass, you will want to add for sure! Good luck man, let us know how it goes.

Darkside    248

Infinity is correct.  I would be less concerned with a boat with 500 hours in 12 years than one with 60.  Only because these things need to be used.  I would suspect you will have a long list of things that need to be checked.

Impeller, both raw water and ballast pumps, all belts and hoses, trailer tires, etc.  All of these things are now 12 years old and have not been ran,  they may work,  but may also fail soon.  

That being said if the compression test is solid, and you dont mind doing the basics, your getting a basically new boat.

prorider17    30

Seems like a really clean Elite-V! For its age, it looks like it's in incredible condition. Those are super low hours. I would ensure it's been mechanically gone through. The Elite-V and Lightning C4 are identical. I run roughly 2,000lbs of ballast in mine & the ronix shaper.. puts out a great wave on both sides... more than enough to go ropeless for my 230lb body with just my wife in the boat. I have the 750lb Fly-High bags in the lockers and will tuck another bag under the seat on the surf side

I would say they're fantastic boats for the money. They're long & big enough where you're not stretched for storage. It also has the black scorpion and a great tower. Perfectpass will be the best thing you did, especially if you're surfing. 

Perhaps my favorite thing with the Centurions of the mid-2000s is the fully gel coated floors. All the other manufacturers followed after what Centurion did. My prior non-inboard had it and was the best feature. Now, I'm trying to get rid of my snap-in carpet and go full SeaDek or GatorStep.

As far as price goes, I'd beat them up a little more considering you're coming up on the off-season, or have them throw in bags and perfect pass. Stereos are stereos.. they're not big selling items as much as a rear wake/trim plate and fully automated ballast would be in my mind. But... I'm more of a function vs. audio guy. 

Plugs, wires, impeller and fresh oil change are definitely things you should ensure are done along with a compression test and some hours of the boat running to ensure no bad fuel.

The Avalanche C4s are great too, but budget is important. 

If you have any questions, feel free to message me. I have some video of both of my surf waves.

• Like 1

wesblake    8

Thanks everyone. I don't believe it was completely out of used, just not used often enough. The shop said they did a full test anyways, compression and all that, and have a sheet showing all the test results. They would also set up a demo to try the boat anyways. However, I I communicated about a demo tomorrow and interest at 27, and he pretty much said if I'm still interested at the asking price to let them know. 30 just feels hot a bit high for a 2005 either way, but that's why I'm here asking you all. I basically have 33 for a boat, and of course this one will need a few thousand more in perfect pass and bags. Maybe I'll skip it then, kind of stinks because I'm out of town, and I absolutely have to get back to pick my kids up tomorrow afternoon, so it's a go or no-go tomorrow morning.

06warrior    1

Buy it,or spend twice that to do the same thing in a newer boat..no brainer,that price doesn’t exist anymore for anything decent

InfinitySurf    302

Cant imagine they are gonna turn away a cash offer $3k away from the ask at this time of year knowing if you pass, its likely they will be storing it all winter...but guess you never know. If you feel its the boat for you...maybe split the difference with them and tell them you are firm and to take it or leave it. If it falls thru....you are looking at right time of year, you will find another one and have the whole winter to do it. Boats don't start getting "hot" again till around April. Just gotta keep your eyes open and be ready to move when the right opportunity comes.

• Like 1

prorider17    30

There has to be some wiggle room in that price. There always is! And if they don't budge, have them throw in the bags and PP. 

Jake707    171

Not going to reiterate that you need to completely go through and change all fluids and wear parts as it has sat unused too long since a few people have already (although I believe I just did in fact reiterate the need......mind blown)

the boat will surf well, plenty good enough for beginners to intermediate, I personally use a homemade wake shaper and sink it evenly.

That boat looks clean however looks stock so plan on buying sacs and throw over ballast pumps at the min or spend about 1,000 to automate a ballast system. Plus any stereo upgrades which is a price range of your choice from mild to wild. Just calling these out since the price of mid to high 20s usually includes these options in my area for the Elite and Avys usually in the low to mid 30s. Also if you plan on surfing on the goofy side then you will def want an A-plate which adds a wing to the starboard side of the trim tab plate on the stern to help clean up that wave

Jake707    171

The Air Warrior was just a package option you could add to most models. It includes the tower, a 250# midship ballast tank, decals and maybe perfect pass but Im not sure on that one.

That's a good comp for the OP for sure. Has stereo upgrade and perfect pass (which looking at the pictures it appears his potential purchase might as well).

InfinitySurf    302

Check tower...bet he pulls that tube around by the tower all the time. Check it carefully to be sure not small stress cracks at gelcoat or on tower. Looked pretty clean.