Donnieb

Store Boat With or Without Seat Cushions?

With or Without Seat Cushions?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you store your boat for the winter WITH or WITHOUT the seat cushions? I live in the Seattle area and have typically taken my seat cushions out of the boat and put them in my attic before taking the boat to an off-site heated storage barn. I've done this for the past 5-6 years to ensure great air-flow in the boat and prevent mold. Is this overkill? What do you do?

• Store boat WITH seat cushions
    • Store boat WITHOUT seat cushions

Donnieb    0

Do you store your boat for the winter WITH or WITHOUT the seat cushions?  

I live in the Seattle area and have typically taken my seat cushions out of the boat and put them in my attic before taking the boat to an off-site heated storage barn.  I've done this for the past 5-6 years to ensure great air-flow in the boat and prevent mold.  

Is this overkill?  

What do you do?  

pedelh    0

I'm in seattle too...currently a Malibu owner trying to find a great used centurion to trade in.  But I absolutely do the same thing.  i take out every removable cushion and the snap out carpet and store it up in my garage loft.

Jlagos    23

I store without cushions but my boat is exposed to the outdoor elements (with boat cover on). If it were to stay in a heated storage barn, then I would leave them in but keep storage bins etc cracked open to allow for some air movement. If the boat is DRY then no need to open compartments. I would say its likely overkill in heated barn. 

Nick213    583

I pull all my removable cushions and carpet as well. Fully charge the batteries, fill up with fuel, add fuel stabilizer, clean and dry everything, wax the hull and trailer, put dehumidifiers in.

InfinitySurf    302

I leave cushion's in boat...but crack them so I have airflow under seats and also leave a fan in boat that gets run a couple times a week to provide airflow. Mine is under roof at house without cover over it, but not in heated space...doesn't get extremely cold here tho.

truekaotik    458

We leave In if your inside and it's away from animals and the weather. 

Darkside    248

Cushions in, but moisture isn't a huge issue in AZ.... also boat is stored in HVAC equipped garage.  

@pedelh what version of centurion are you looking for?  A lot of former Malibu owners on here.  

MobEnzo    51

I’ve always left in, and prop open. I’m planning to pull them out this year for better ventilation and hoping better to keep mice out. I’ve had a minor mouse problem past two winters... I also pull the carpet.

prorider17    30

I live in good ol' muggy Florida. If I cover and put my boat away with any type of moisture in it, I remove the seats. Had to clean them up before. Now, I remove the carpet and have a better (more flowing) cover. I hope to do aquatraction or GatorStep in the near future to take care of my wet carpet issue.

Bongo Fury    640

We take cushions, carpet and bags out.  

pedelh    0

@Nick213 I'm definitely looking at that one.  What's the tradeoff of the H5?  It's hard to find any performance info.  I use it primarily for surfing, and I'm at sea level.  

Have folks had an issue with the h5?  

pedelh    0

I just found some more posts on here about the H5.  Most of them were from before the boat was released and referencing it in other boats.  For surf use at sea level will I be disappointed with the H5?  It sounds like it is really fuel efficient which would be great...

InfinitySurf    302

You would just have to take one out with an H5, slam it and see what happens. Some people talk crap about the H5 "having" to be under powered for a boat that size, but seems most of those people actually haven't been out on one and just 'think" that must be the case. Personally I have no idea. I know of several G21 boats with that motor and no complaints. If you surf mostly....make sure it has surf prop when you demo it. If its gonna work good anywhere, it will be at sea level. I am guessing you will be fine but consider that when you sell, the buyer will be thinking the same thing, so would think your deal would need to be good enough to account for that.

I know people have compared the H5 to the ZR409...even tho H5 has less HP its supposed to have a similar torque curve to the ZR (I don't really understand such things to be honest)....but the ZR409 is what I have in my SV244. I am at 800ft elevation, regularly run 4,800lbs of ballast with 4-6 people.....with #1433 prop and have never had a single issue. Still has power to spare running 11.2mph at 3400rpm....and I average 4.5GPH.....I can easily hit 13mph fully weighted as mentioned. You should try it.

I think @CO Surfer has an H5 in his SV233. He could probably say more

CO Surfer    289

I would have zero issues buying a Ri with the H5 at sea level.  I boat at 6,070' with the H5 in my boat and love it.