Willy.Fire

06 Avalanche C4 storm

Willy.Fire    6

Hi. Looking into a 06 Avalanche c4 storm series. What are some things I need to look for on this boat? I’ve been looking at a lot of v-drives but anything special I need to pay attention to with this boat?  From what I’ve read the c4 is the better option for interior room.

Has manual wedge no perfect pass. Some Spider cracking around tower. 

5.7 black scorpion with really low hours 

3 hard ballast tanks

thanks

Bigcatpt    408

Have the motor, transmission, and V-drive checked out by a merc mechanic and engine compression tested.

Spider cracking around tower and stress points is fairly normal in that age boat.

Plan in your budget to upgrade to perfect pass (marriage saver)  and full ballast system upgrade.  

The Avy is a great boat that throws a great surf wave with correct ballast system.  

Take her for a test drive and make sure she checks out well and is water worthy.   

Willy.Fire    6

Is the gel coat cracking common on centurions of this age? I have now seen 3 with the exact same issue yet the other brands tige, malibu and sanger  i have only seen 1 out of around 8 boats with the cracking. Where can I find a list of available options from that year to see what it has and what it does not to help with negotiating. Things I know is side swipe exhaust but not sure on others like if hydraulic wake plate was a option on centurion. 

Can this surf stock with just the wedge and ballasts it has? I will not be planning on upgrading im just going to be a average surfer and overall it will be a multi purpose boat.

InfinitySurf    302

So many variables that can contribute to the spider cracking, its hard to say what is "normal". It can be fixed if you want to, Centurion has one of the best gel coats of any brand.

The Avy is gonna put out an excellent wave and ride great in rougher conditions. Yes, it will still surf without "upgraded" ballast, but you are underestimating how addicting this sport is...you will end up adding ballast. No matter what you get, its smart to have a boat mechanic look at everything like BigCatpt mentioned.

Willy.Fire    6

Yes I’ve bought enough boats never a inboard though but I know what to look for and will not buy without a pre-purchase inspection unless it’s a price that I could take the chance on and in that case I would still do my own compression test and check as much as I could on my own. History usually is one of the best signs of condition. 

How is difficult is it to self install perfect pass? I’m fairly mechanical and could tackle smaller things is this a diy winter job? Have not looked into what it would take. 

Edited by Willy.Fire

dreikorncr    7

We installed a Perfect Pass on our last 06 Avalanche (which we just sold Monday) and it was an easy job. All of the instructions are very detailed and theres even a few DIY videos I found after some googling. I think you can handle it! 

Willy.Fire    6

Well Im going to bring this up again. I haven't really spent a lot of time looking recently but a few options have came up and this 06 centurion avalanche has dropped in price again which is not surprising since its full on winter here. Right now im seriously thinking about making the 7 hour trip to look at this and a 06 mb b-52 that is available at the same price. Im leaning towards the mb it has similar hours but the larger 6.0 engine and has gps perfect pass option that the centurion doesn't have. Interiors are similar condition the mb includes surf boards ropes life jackets and a bunch or other things which really help in the deal. Being a Centurion forum will i be dispointed in a mb over avalanche?  I need this for a multi use boat yet want to start to get into the surfing thing which we have never tried. 

bomoseen avy    45

not sure what kind of wave u get with the MB. You get a great wave with the Avy and it's rep has stood the test of time

Troy    234

My avy wave is pretty killer if you ask me. Haven't surfed an MB.

jtryon    24

i've never been a fan of the older MB graphics--flames are a love/hate thing.  they are good boats however, but i'd probably go centurion unless you don't get a good feeling about it once you go look at it.

Willy.Fire    6

Ya the dated MB tribal graphics Im not a fan of at all. Hopefully can make a decision soon. Being in Canada what would a great price be for this Avalanche be any thoughts I just want to see other opinions on price..

InfinitySurf    302

Depends on so many things...condition of vinyl, boat and gel.... hours, good or bad previous maintenance, how many options it has, etc. Look at other similar boats to get an idea of going price. I don't know the currency exchange. In USA, would guess that boat is gonna be around 30k in good condition

Willy.Fire    6

Well finalized the deal on this Avy just need to go pick it up so if everything goes as planned I should be a centurion owner soon. Thanks for the help everyone. Ill post pics when I get it! Would you guys recommend the perfect pass thats sold on this site that is centurion specific or can I find a better price if I look around? Have not decided for sure if I will order pp right away or try without for the 1st part of summer. With exchange rate looks like it will be around 1500 cad for just the wake edition. 

Willy.Fire    6

On another note has anyone had any experience towing a boat in winter? I'm hoping the highways are dry the day I go get it but if recent snow there could be sand and salt on the roads. I plan on washing at as soon as i get it back but any ideas on how to keep as much off? Would wrapping it with packaging plastic wrap be something worth trying? Ill have a 7-8 hour trip. 

IMG-4659.JPG

InfinitySurf    302

Congrats man, gonna be a great boat. Did you get to test or see it run, hard to do in snow cause they you gotta winterize, but.... If you do wrap in plastic, make sure its not something that can flap in wind or it may do a number on the gelcoat...and stop and check things frequently. If it was me, think I would tow as is and just clean it when I got home. With a tow that long, make sure you check the air in tires and have a spare, I don't see one on the boat. Not something you want sitting on side of the road and a spare is something you will want anyway.

Willy.Fire    6

Good point on the spare I do have a extra here ill take with me just in case. Im buying without running but I have spoke to the marine shop that has serviced it twice a year for a number of years and they just had it in getting winterized and a inspection so im confident it will be all good since they just recently looked it over in November they helped a lot.  

RhuntIII    555

You need to have a spare tire, a good floor jack, road flares, find out what kind of bearings she has and if they are bearing buddies get an extra hub and grease gun. 

bomoseen avy    45

I like trailer aid which may work in place of jack

http://www.trailer-aid.com/

Get the perfect pass. They don't call it the marriage saver for nothing. You will enjoy the new purchase infinitely more especially if you are surfing

Willy.Fire    6

Officially a centurion owner our 1st surf boat and I’m pretty happy. Winter cooperated and I had clean and dry roads all the way home. 

Couple questions and I’m sure I will have more before I get it out for it’s 1st voyage in the spring. 

Has the perko dual battery switch the batteries were out I looked quick at the wiring but wanted to check if this is correct. Perko has 2 positives that go out to each battery then there is a negative from boat that connects to one of the batteries and then the negatives are hooked together between batteries?

Did not have a bow filler cushion anyone have any suggestions where I could look for one?

8F96E8FF-BA7B-4347-8D5C-1C0A0E26D2B9.jpeg

1F7E3B65-78C0-431C-9D18-6E91CB190C56.jpeg

0515C27E-47CF-4BC3-9B96-7F4FA9E32A7D.jpeg

• Like 1

InfinitySurf    302

Congrats. Sucks they did not mark the wires for you when they disconnected the batteries, @Wylie_Tunes would know. You will probably have to post up some pics tho.

My boat did not come with bow filler either and I could not find a used one. I ended up making my own. Used cardboard to make the template so I could get it perfect (mine curved slightly on sides)....then ordered a piece of HDPE online at Interstate Plastics, traced template on it with sharpie and cut it out....and then had my local upholstery shop provide and install the foam and vinyl.

Not sure how far back Fineline keeps templates and vinyl, they did offer to make one for my boat. Would have been $600 and roughly 2 months to make.

Resized bow filler cushion.jpg

• Like 1