ReSession

'17 Ri237 with Gen 5 (409 hp) engine - question about speed/efficiency

ReSession    165

Guys,

I have a buddy looking to pick up a 2017 Ri237 and wanted to get the crew's opinion...my head is stuck thinking that this is a bigger boat than his current one, yet going to get a boat considerably bigger/heavier with the same size engine that's in my 233. I understand that the transmission was geared differently, but can any 237 owners out there comment on the plus/negatives to going with the Gen 5 (versus a bigger engine)? My guess is there's got to be a loss of top speed...thought I read around 32-34 mph? 

Also, what's up with the prop change? Were there issues with the 2017's? 

Last question is...did you guys have any warranty issues with your 237's that you needed to have fixed? This dealer is several states away (closest is in NH, but he's looking in Georgia). 

I just want to help him get the right boat when spending this type of dough!

chowder2016    110

I had a '17 237 with the H5 engine.  I though it was underpowered, and under full ballast at sea level it was very tough to get the boat to surf speeds especially if you didn't level out the weight a bit.  It did not like all the weight in the back needed bow weight to even try to get up to speed.