tkrieger

Winterization concern for -5 degrees celsius (23 F)

tkrieger    0

Just heard the weather forecast for tonight...  Supposed to get down to - 5 degrees celsius (28 F) tonight... Boat isn't going into the Shop for winterization for a couple days yet...  Is there something I should be doing or concerned with for freezing?  I.e. draining block or adding antifreeze???  Dealer has informed me the winterization has to done in the correct order / process, but has neglected to let me know what this is...  Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Thanks

Troy    234

Drain the water out the block and you should be fine for that temp. Mercrusier engines have Blue drain plugs to unscrew and let the water out the block. 

InfinitySurf    302

no guarantees it works (I have done this in past)....but you can put a heater in engine compartment for a few nights. Supposed to be UL ignition protected so gas fumes cannot ignite due to spark. Other thing to consider is if you have a heater or shower....then you also may need a heater somewhere else, heater lines are usually orange I believe and you can disconnect and blow them out with compressed air, or your mouth if needed. You boat may have closed cooled heater too tho which would make it something you dont have to worry about if the case. My ZR409 has closed cooled heater (not water cooled)...think the H5 and H6 do not from a thread I read on PN a while ago (if I am remembering correctly)...which would mean you do either need to drain the heater/shower or keep heat under dash. (heater with fan under cover?)

DjOM21    59

As mentioned. Pull all the blue drain plugs and remove your hose for you heater and then blow down the line to get all the water out of your heater core. Also, read through your PCM engine manual, it should say the same thing. 

Cover up and wait for some warmer weather - we can get a few more surf runs in. I mean sunny and 15C Ambient  and 58C Water Temp is nice right? As long as the Damn wind stays away. 

stoked    1,039

Electric blanket over the engine works like a champ as well. My father-in-law just hangs a drop light with like a 100w bulb in it in the engine bay of his sea ray, it puts off a good amount of heat. 

Cwazy1    89

Agree, I use two safety lights in a pinch. One in engine bay and one under helm for the heater core. 

Shaka    146

I use a drop light as well. I stuck a digital thermometer in with it and it kept my engine compartment well above freezing. I've pulled the engine dividers and used space heaters a time or two.

Chexi    35

If it is just one day, you can run the boat and warm the engine up.   It will stay warm for a day. -5 below freezing is nothing.  If you have a heater though, that might not hold the heat in as well as the engine.

If you use the 100 watt bulb thing, be sure your drop bulb is a metal cage and not plastic.  a 100 watt bulb will melt a plastic one (and anything it touches like a divider).  Don't ask me how I know.

gravity12    83

I have always wondered if the blanket idea could ignite.  With the fumes and whatnot in the bildge.  Probaly just overly cautious? If it is safe i would try it to keep the boat im the water earlier and later in tje season. 

InfinitySurf    302

I used an electric blanket early this spring. Doesn't take much electric and it kept the engine area toasty. I didn't use it in combination with anything else, so nothing to ignite it

Keef    6

Bit late in the post here....

Last year I purchase an extreme heater for my Craz.  It is probably over kill here (south side of DFW metroplex) and alittle $$$, but it is a drop in the bucket compared to a cracked block.  It also, keeps me from worrying at night.

I have the 450w (medium) heater which fit nicely in the Craz engine bay.  The FS33 looks a bit tighter, so may be a little more challenging.  The heater only kicks on at 40 deg f and off at I believe 50 deg f.  It also circulates the air while on...

http://www.xtremeheaters.com/