DjOM21

18 Ri 237 VS 17 Ri 237

DjOM21    59

Curious if the surf wave is impacted by the change  to the Opti-V hull on the Ri 237 for 2018?

I understand that the efficiency and RPMs have improved with the hull changes and the move to a larger prop - but has this changed the wave? 

Darkside    248

The wave likely did chance a bit, however they changed it to mimic the 257 so i wouldn't be too concerned.  

enzo on LI    79

From what I have seen the wave is not impacted. The wakeboard wake is much improved though?

BoardCo    110

The surf wave is improved, though not dramatically. The biggest difference is the wave is easier to set up and doesn't require as much tweaking to be absolutely insane. If you are comparing a totally dialed 17 to an 18 you will notice a wave with a bit of an increase in power and length but overall not a huge difference. 

DjOM21    59

Good info gents.

The whole motivation for the question is to decide if a 18 is worth it over a 17. With the price increases and depreciation factored in I lean to a demo 2017 with a 16" prop if the surf waves are comparable.

Fivebar2    176

I will say from personal experience (I owned the previous model 237 and have surfed the 2018) that boardco is right in the money. The waves are both very similar. 

Edited by Fivebar2

DjOM21    59

So how about a 2017 with H6 and CATS vs  a  2018 with HO 6.0 and No CATS? 

InfinitySurf    302

I don't know how important CATS is to the RI hull, I have heard it is not used as much without listing and why its become optional in all models for 2018... but I rarely use CATS on my 2014 SV244, but I run mostly level using suck gate and very slight list to surf side. In fact the only time I use CATS is when someone is surfing goofy (I put at -20) and it gives the wave a bit more curl....that is rare tho as I don't have many goofy friends, lol

On 6.0 engine...assume you are talking about the ZR409. I have that engine in my boat and love it. I average 4.5 GPH no matter what I do, but mostly heavily ballasted surfing at 11mph @ 3400rpm is what I do. Engine has never had a single issue since new and plenty of power. I am at 800ft elevation and run a 1433 prop....but I can slam boat will all 5000lbs of ballast plus 6-8 people and I still have zero issues with power to surf speed....I usually have to drop some ballast with that many people cause wave will get so big it will crash over sundeck....the more weight I run in bow the longer it gets (and its still huge)....normally I have 500lb bow bag plus 300lbs of lead in front. With 2-4 people I run zero trim plate and with more people I usually have 1 adult in bow to keep from having to use trim plate since it knocks the size of wave down slightly, tho up to 30% does not effect it much. Just like it a little better without center plate but I have FAE and the more plate I have, starts a little spray....when at zero I have no spray so that is secondary reason I do that. FAE is supposed to send me a "fix" for that over this winter. I really think part of the spray issue is the deep V hull creating a small air pocket and that pocket combined with the FAE sticking down is what creates the spray. Anyway, getting off track here.

I suppose it comes down to your elevation on whether or not you need the extra horsepower of the H6. I have been in several boats with the H6, 2017 RI237 and RI217. Had great power but I would not have known it was the H6 if I had not looked, did not feel more powerful than my ZR409 tho obviously there are some benefits to that engine or they would not have made it. If you do get the H5, or the H6 make sure the belt tensioner has been replaced, they issued a service bulletin about it breaking (which leaves you dead in the water of course) and dealers with those engines are supposed to replace it before selling.

Personally I would hold out for 2018 since that "Opti-V" hull is also supposed to be more fuel efficient. Not sure about the H6, but know the ZR409 is timed for 87 octane. Those 2 things alone (87 octane and better fuel efficiency) can be a significant savings over a year of buying fuel for the boat. I know when spending over $100k you are not supposed to care about fuel costs....but I do factor that into my decision.

Brandon161    26

Not to steal your thread.....   what is the difference between a 2016 RI 237 and 2017 RI 237?

Darkside    248
On 10/21/2017 at 10:33 AM, DjOM21 said:

So how about a 2017 with H6 and CATS vs  a  2018 with HO 6.0 and No CATS? 

I use CATS a lot.  Even with RI257.  Cats does a couple things.  First for wakeboarding or even cruising it allows you to level the boat without adding/draining weight or moving people around.    For surfing it is the final knob.  1. Get ballast right. (Slight list) 2.  Get your tabs set (QS and stinger)  3 adjust CATS for final shaping. 

CATS is one of the features if you never had it you wont miss it.  Others have it and rarely use it.  I use mine a lot.

On 10/21/2017 at 7:35 PM, Brandon161 said:

Not to steal your thread.....   what is the difference between a 2016 RI 237 and 2017 RI 237?

Prop shaft angle.  8" interior speakers vs 6".

pedelh    0

@Brandon161I've been looking at 2016 vs. 2017 as well, and there are a few other differences that I've found.  

- The sliding seat does NOT have backrests, and apparently you can't add them because the mounting points are not on the '16

- On the '17 they carried the Gatorstep on to the vertical surfaces of the seat bases (vs. '16 when it was just on the floor

- The '17 added the option for a Silent Stinger plate

Darkside    248

The vertical gatorstep was an option, just like deck.  Neither deck nor seat bases come standard with gator step