Looking at buying a new 2017 s238.  What kind of discount off of MSRP should one expect to pay.  Also what kind of dealer goodies could you expect them to kick in on the sale?  Any reason to buy the 2018 at approx 16k more for the identical boat specs?

Edited by Dieselbreath

Cwazy1    89
2 hours ago, Dieselbreath said:

Looking at buying a new 2017 s238.  What kind of discount off of MSRP should one expect to pay.  Also what kind of dealer goodies could you expect them to kick in on the sale?  Any reason to buy the 2018 at approx 16k more for the identical boat specs?

'17 and '18 are virtually the same. '16 is where the differences are. I'd probably get a '17 just to save some money. 

Brandon161    26

Probably about 10k off or so.  I wouldn't expect much for "goodies" though.

MFaso    56

I love my 17 s238. Looks like the 18 is pretty much the same with a different graphic and the odd ski pole option that will make toy break a toe. :)

The 16 has no screen, different tower and different windshield. I like my tower and windshield. Some don't, although they haven't even tried it.

Id say 10-15k off if you could settle for what they have on the lot in November. There are dealers here who may have more info but they don't post much. Where are you located? I can pass you my dealer's info if you are on the east coast.(northeast) 

InfinitySurf    302

All depends, sometimes you can get "goodies" throw in if you know what you want when you go in and negotiate it as part of your purchase. Just depends on what you are wanting to get. Extra's usually have a healthy markup, so should be something the dealer can work with you on. There will be better prices on 17's now that 18 models are out....but best price on the 17's (if they still have any left then), are at the boat shows in winter/spring of 2018 cause they want them gone so they can order 18's to put on the floor and meet their sales goals.

Located in Washington.  Found a pretty nice 17 with options that I would't even care about normally, that seems priced fairly well.  When you compare it to the 18's coming out it is substantially less money.  Any thoughts on the goodies a new boat owner would want or need in the near future.  I have had many a boats slow and fast big and small.  This will be a whole new game now with family and friends chilling on the water together.  Have not been out yet for a demo or I may have pulled the trigger yesterday, but really hard to make that decision till you have had the chance to play with it first.

Cwazy1    89

You'll 100% need upgraded ballast as well as some lead bags. Beyond that you'll just need surfboards! 

MFaso    56
7 hours ago, Cwazy1 said:

You'll 100% need upgraded ballast as well as some lead bags. Beyond that you'll just need surfboards! 

Agreed! Tell them to throw in a board or two as well!

xj1514    13

I assume wakeboarding is not high on your list? Its an ok surf boat, but leaves alot to be desired for wake. 

In my opinion the Supreme line is falling behind as most boats now have a surf option with tabs, gates etc. and wakeboard much better than Supreme while throwing a comparable surf wave. Just something to consider. 

Supreme has an ok pricepoint, just be sure you demo to get what you are wanting for wakes and waves with any boat.  

MFaso    56
41 minutes ago, xj1514 said:

I assume wakeboarding is not high on your list? Its an ok surf boat, but leaves alot to be desired for wake. 

In my opinion the Supreme line is falling behind as most boats now have a surf option with tabs, gates etc. and wakeboard much better than Supreme while throwing a comparable surf wave. Just something to consider. 

Supreme has an ok pricepoint, just be sure you demo to get what you are wanting for wakes and waves with any boat.  

Isn't Quick surf a "surf option with tabs"?

xj1514    13
4 hours ago, MFaso said:

Isn't Quick surf a "surf option with tabs"?

Exactly. Just saying that most have them these days so the playing field is somewhat more equitable across the board. However, some of the "surf" boats dont do crossover very well. Just my observation. 

The Supreme is a good surf boat for the pricepoint. 

Nobody in my family does either surfing or wake boarding.  Not that we wouldn't get into at some point, we are really looking for a quality build that is a fair buy.  We will spend a good percentage of our time at this point doing cruises or swimming, tubing.  Just a good way to get family and friends out building memories.  

What is an expected price one could expect?

Freebies that one could ask for with purchase?

Cwazy1    89
56 minutes ago, Dieselbreath said:

What is an expected price one could expect?

Freebies that one could ask for with purchase?

I don't think anyone is going to give you any exact numbers here. Best to contact your local dealer for a quote on a new boat. 

You can ask for a diamond ring or a cheeseburger. What you can ask for is likely dependent on what your dealer sells out of their showroom. 

MFaso    56

The prices are REALLY odd... For example, the same boat I purchased here on the east coast with the same options could end up maybe 10-15k higher on the west coast because of the tax rate and who knows what else.

Also, if you are buying a surf boat, when you finally drop that rope, you will never look back.

On the other hand, if your focus isn't surfing or even wake boarding, you could get a very nice family boat for less then the s238 will cost you. Surf and wake board specific boats are more expensive because of the technology for those specific sports.

Freebies with boats are normally anchor, buoys, rope, life jackets. All things that will probably cost you another 500-1k out of pocket. For this boat, it's probably going to be you working in the lighting package or maybe a ballast upgrade. It's not far from buying a car...

• Like 1

rrd525    40

I would see about upgraded PNP bags. maybe first 25 hour service included, or winterization. Or like Mfaso mentioned, a few  life jackets, fire extinguisher, ropes...
Once you surf or Wakeboard though, the hours spent just floating and swimming seem to get fewer and fewer. Surfing is a pretty social activity right behind the boat, so you definitely get the family time and memories.

• Like 1

Brandon161    26

I am not being a smartass. But if you don't really plan to surf or wakeboard.....  why would you want a wake / surf boat?   Why not just get a pontoon?   More room and you can just cruise and lounge around.

With that being said. I love my supreme.  It's an awesome surf boat. And fair wake boat.

• Like 2

xj1514    13
2 hours ago, Brandon161 said:

I am not being a smartass. But if you don't really plan to surf or wakeboard.....  why would you want a wake / surf boat?   Why not just get a pontoon?   More room and you can just cruise and lounge around.

With that being said. I love my supreme.  It's an awesome surf boat. And fair wake boat.

Agreed. I had one, very low maintenance and inexpensive. And you can bbq on the boat. 

If you want to cruise the lake and tube a bit, a run about, i/o would be a far less expensive option and they are easier to handle, ie, loading, trailering, and maneuvering. 

All of the above are things we have been thinking about.  Momma bear is not a pontoon fan in any way, shape or form, it was a thought.  The I/O's we have looked at in our area we have not been impressed.  My GOAL is to get out surfing and also to get the kids out doing the same, at this point in time we have never done it with nobody having a boat to surf behind but it is a GOAL.  We all love the water and the family time, so just another way to get family and friends together to have a good time.

• Like 2

MFaso    56
7 minutes ago, Dieselbreath said:

All of the above are things we have been thinking about.  Momma bear is not a pontoon fan in any way, shape or form, it was a thought.  The I/O's we have looked at in our area we have not been impressed.  My GOAL is to get out surfing and also to get the kids out doing the same, at this point in time we have never done it with nobody having a boat to surf behind but it is a GOAL.  We all love the water and the family time, so just another way to get family and friends together to have a good time.

Once you surf that wave(especially ropeless) you will be hooked. My wife and I aren't pontoon fans at all. They are docks with engines. Lame in my opinion. It's hardly a boat...

This was our first summer with a surf boat and although we have had boats for years, I've never had so much fun than this summer. Depending on your weight and board riding skill(have you ever snowboarded?) it will take a few trips to drop the rope. Most of my surfing (3-4x per week) is with just my wife driving the boat and my kids playing and yelling things to me. I throw a few dabs while I surf and they crack up.(They are little, 5 and 9) The memories this summer have been great.

I don't think you will regret the s238 purchase. It's more of a surf boat than a wakeboard boat but unless you think you are going to go pro there is nothing wrong with wakeboarding. I used to wake board and knee bord off of a bass boat and had a great time. Your price point for a 2017 238 is somewhere between 75k-90k depending on where you live and how long you wait. If you look in November and take whats on the lot, you will probably get a good price. BUT, you won't be able to demo in November if you have a REAL winter where you are from. Just demo now.

Best of luck!

Brandon161    26

Well if you don't want a pontoon or I/O then go for the Supreme. It's a badass boat.  It's my third boat and by far my favorite. Best build quality and best wave in its price point.  IMO.   

I have zero regrets with it. To get started surfing it's good. Once you figure that out.  Add lead, bigger ballast bags and you will unleash the big boy wave it's capable of.

• Like 1
  • Like 1