TayTay

Bad time to sell a boat?

TayTay    6

I just posted my boat for sale last weekend as I'm expecting to move this fall to a place that doesn't look like there is much boating. I know it's late in the season and not the best time to sell, but I haven't got 1 call on the thing. I'm wondering if it's overpriced? I priced it just over low NADA book price. I have it on here, onlyinboards, and the local craigslist. Any ideas on other places to list it, or should I consider lower my asking price a bit? I know it's only been a week but I figured I'd get a call or two other than from the "let me help you sell your boat people" Thanks for any feedback. 

lakerat    70

I would suggest adding more detail about surf setup like ballast (bags,pumps,etc) and some pics of your surf wave.

You might also consider keeping it.  I know it's hard when you've lived close to the water but I have to drive 1.5 hrs. in any direction to suitable water and it's not that big of a deal.

Nick213    583

^^^ I agree with him^^^^^

i posted mine on onlyinboards and boat trader with plenty of pic's and a good explanation a week before Labor Day weekend and my boat sold the following day.

As a matter a fact the buyer is picking it up today and I already picked up my avy's replacement!

Make sure you post on the add EVERY upgrade you've done. Also it helps to pay for the most expensive add they offer for a quick sale.

Cdifranco    463

I think where you're located helps or hurts.. listed mine back in June and haven't had much interest. Everyone I have talked to just keeps saying we have a 2 month season blah blah. 

TayTay    6

Thanks for the input. I live in an area with 4 seasons, but a pretty big water sports scene in the summer. Unfortunately for surfing, I didn't get around to setting that part up since I've owned the boat. This was our first boat after having kids and we didn't really use it as much as I'd like and my first priority was upgrading the stereo and some other things before I got to surfing and ballast... I know I should check my priorities ;-). So it's all stock in the ballast arena. I didn't post it on Boat Trader and just did the free ad on onlyinboards. I was hoping my local craigslist ad would be enough. I'll looking into beefing up the marketing and maybe talk about the potential the boat has as a surf boat, because I don't have the setup dialed in as it sits today.  Thanks for the feedback. 

InfinitySurf    302

The more detail/pics you provide....along with maintenance details (how often you changed oil, etc) will tell people you took care of it and know all the details about it, which makes them feel comfortable and "worth more".

Also, you rather sit on it till next summer and lose money....or spend a little money on the good ads that will reach the people serious about buying? I would put on all the good sites and pay a little now. Some dealers will also sell on consignment, you lose some....but you may also sell for more. Just a thought

strev    26
8 hours ago, Nick213 said:

^^^ I agree with him^^^^^

i posted mine on onlyinboards and boat trader with plenty of pic's and a good explanation a week before Labor Day weekend and my boat sold the following day.

As a matter a fact the buyer is picking it up today and I already picked up my avy's replacement!

Make sure you post on the add EVERY upgrade you've done. Also it helps to pay for the most expensive add they offer for a quick sale.

Not sure if I missed it or you haven't posted it yet, what did you upgrade to nick?

carguy79ta    67

I sold my 15 A22 on consignment....sold in 4 days.  was the middle of the summer tho.  I can't run people out for wet tests etc. so I had my dealer sell it.

• Like 1

strev    26
22 hours ago, Nick213 said:

A 13 SV244

This was the first I've mentioned of it.

IMG_5356.JPG

Very nice Nick, congratulations!

• Like 1

InfinitySurf    302

Nice boat, get the Nauticurl suck gate...works excellent with that hull.

• Like 1

Bongo Fury    640
On September 15, 2017 at 7:59 AM, Nick213 said:

A 13 SV244

This was the first I've mentioned of it.

IMG_5356.JPG

Very Nice Nick!!  Congrats!!!   She looks familiar ....Long Beach?

• Like 1