gravity12    83

Up against tiga's biggest boat. I really need to see one of these in real life.  It dwarfs the other boats 

FB_IMG_1505266792534.jpg

• Like 1

Darkside    248

As big as the boat is....the wave is where it truly sets itself apart.  Nothing else comes close.

carguy79ta    67

because it is so big and can hold so much ballast...total gross weight is more than any other surf boat...that is what creates the massive wave and sets it apart from all other surf boats. I think the heaviest combination that comes close is the M235 and a tige and a supra at 12000.  weight matters.

Darkside    248

It's not simply the weight, but also the draft/hull shape.   The 257 fully weighted has a draft of almost 4'!  So even though a M235 displacement, wave is not in the same league.  Nothing out there has similar hieght, length and push.   Most can at best get 2 of the 3.  

Jake707    171

Is it just timing or current set up? Why does the bow sit so much higher than the others in the pic? I would think that would deter some buyers.

carguy79ta    67

you can't see ii in the pic but the rest of the boat is about 30in of freeboard.  ..when not ballasted.. my wife and I sat in the bow of my son's supra launch and the bow was less than a foot above water.  I moved back.

Cwazy1    89

Its the biggest wave I've ever ridden, huge and heavy. Is it necessary? no. If you suck and riding, you'll still suck at riding :p 

Darkside    248
1 hour ago, Jake707 said:

Is it just timing or current set up? Why does the bow sit so much higher than the others in the pic? I would think that would deter some buyers.

The whole boat is bigger, and higher out of the water.  It's great when you have crappy conditions.  I have not been able to get water over the bow, even with intentional bad driving, turning into my own wave, etc.  So it's a huge benefit,  just a dryer ride all the way around...

InfinitySurf    302

Funny...The 257 shown in first pic is the exact 2017 model I looked at today at my dealer, same on they have used in all their advertising brochures. Seeing it in person and climbing thru it makes you realize how massive that boat is. I know standard engine is the H6....I know some of you have gotten the supercharged engine and talked about how awesome it is, and does decent on fuel. Is the H6 plenty of power with full ballast, lead and 10 people to still do everything it does...long as not too high elevation?

carguy79ta    67

the H6 works for me...all ballast full and override.  plus 1000lbs lead 4 crew plus coolers and gear.  75% throttle with a 16x15 prop. if I had the "surf prop" (16×13)there would be no probs whatsoever.  with my longlegged prop..I planed out with 6000 lbs ballast just to see if I could.. messed with quick launch and center tab. I surf at 3400 rpm.

• Thanks 1

Darkside    248
4 hours ago, InfinitySurf said:

Funny...The 257 shown in first pic is the exact 2017 model I looked at today at my dealer, same on they have used in all their advertising brochures. Seeing it in person and climbing thru it makes you realize how massive that boat is. I know standard engine is the H6....I know some of you have gotten the supercharged engine and talked about how awesome it is, and does decent on fuel. Is the H6 plenty of power with full ballast, lead and 10 people to still do everything it does...long as not too high elevation?

The H6 Works for me at 2100'

Capdoogie    2

No replacement for displacement! Or HP/Torque.   I've been thru every engine possible and the supercharged motor is far superior to any of these other motor options.   My wave forms and Is ready to surf instantaneously.  You could sink my boat full of water and the motor never struggles,  even at altitude.  I've been demoing ri237, G23. Etc.   the 450 DI is good but still nothing like my supercharged motor when it comes to the time it takes to get a fully slammed boat up to speed and wave formation.  And since it doesn't have a catalytic it's not prone to O2 sensor problems and misc engine warnings when surfing all day.   If you have the finances it's the best option out. IMO.

• Like 1

Fivebar2    176
53 minutes ago, Capdoogie said:

No replacement for displacement! Or HP/Torque.   I've been thru every engine possible and the supercharged motor is far superior to any of these other motor options.   My wave forms and Is ready to surf instantaneously.  You could sink my boat full of water and the motor never struggles,  even at altitude.  I've been demoing ri237, G23. Etc.   the 450 DI is good but still nothing like my supercharged motor when it comes to the time it takes to get a fully slammed boat up to speed and wave formation.  And since it doesn't have a catalytic it's not prone to O2 sensor problems and misc engine warnings when surfing all day.   If you have the finances it's the best option out. IMO.

Another consideration is to make sure you have access to premium fuel if you are going supercharged. There is none on the water where I moor my boat. 

Darkside    248

I did not order XR7 this time as it was $$$$ and i was not certain how the boat would perform, and i had some resale value concerns.  Having lost a boat load of cash on Malibu's, (with SC motor), i went much more conservative this time.

No doubt the XR7 would be better for cruising, as my cruise speed is 22/23 with the 16x13.  However my lakes are small and the 16x13 with H6 does fantastic.  If i were on bigger lake i would see much more benefit.  

I plan to keep 3 years, if this continues to be reliable, my 2020 Ri257 will likely have the XR7, but i am also content with out it.

• Like 1

NW Boat Sports    232
15 hours ago, Capdoogie said:

Agreed, but PCM doesn't have O2 sensor problems and misc warnings. Indmar sure does tho :)

• Like 1