nvsteve    0

New guy here, purchased 98 Centurion Elite V-drive two months ago.  Steering is stiff,  mechanic says new cable needed.  My boat has an odd second (small) rudder that's positioned just forward of the three skegs.  My mechanic says the small rudder has a second cable that he cannot find a part # for.  My question is does anyone know the part number or how to get it?  Never seen a design like this so kind of at a loss as to how it all works and how it affects the handling of the boat.

Thanks for any help!

nvsteve    0

ok so I just discovered that this is the early version of the CATS.  But I don't see any indication on how its controlled by the driver.  Anyone with a 98 like mine have any information on this?

rhino89523    34

No idea on how your system works but if it were me I would figure out how the cable attaches to the rudder and then just chase it back to whatever it hooks to and you would be able to figure out the control. My guess is if it isn't obvious you probably have some sort of a switch somewhere that is momentary on, off, momentary on running to an actuator. Most of the cables are made by Teleflex and they stamp the numbers on the cables. If it is a teleflex cable or has teleflex ends you can just order one by length or by the number.

nvsteve    0

so now it's clear it is not the CATS that my boat has, its indeed a second small steering rudder with a separate cable thats  located on the centerline just forward of the skegs.  Here's photos.  I've not seen this before, wondering if there are other Elite owners with this same design? It's connected to the main rudder with a cable.

What is it intended to do?

ruddder at stern 2.jpg

Jake707    171

Do you have any pics of the underside? I have never seen or heard of a second mid ship steering rudder.

rhino89523    34

I'm no help on your set up or why it is there, how it is supposed to work etc, but the cable looks like a standard issue Teleflex. If you pull it out they usually have a part number printed on them or you can go by length. Since this is hooked to your main rudder I assume this must just help with turning and maneuvering your boat, or that was the idea anyway. You could get creative and disconnect the cable make a new mount where the current cable mounting is and put a lenco actuator in there then you could control it individually, or you could probably just make a solid strut and have it not turn like the rest of our boats....just throwing out some ideas, but getting the cable should be a piece on cake I'd install a new main steering cable while I was in there and the thing will turn like butter.

chenige    84

Call centurion. 

RMassa187    1

The cable is an Utraflex CPTOX10. They custom build only 3 or so per year. They can be ordered at boatingsolutions.com. Many calls to figure this one out.

• Like 1

slvrbulit    6

Hey Rmassa187,  I think you are looking for this cable for my boat!  I sure appreciate it.

slvrbulit    6

New cables installed and the boat turns like its brand new.

On 9/12/2017 at 5:08 PM, nvsteve said:

New guy here, purchased 98 Centurion Elite V-drive two months ago.  Steering is stiff,  mechanic says new cable needed.  My boat has an odd second (small) rudder that's positioned just forward of the three skegs.  My mechanic says the small rudder has a second cable that he cannot find a part # for.  My question is does anyone know the part number or how to get it?  Never seen a design like this so kind of at a loss as to how it all works and how it affects the handling of the boat.

Thanks for any help!

Hi! I’m having this same issue on the same boat. How did you fix it? I’ve took it to a shop, and they’re at a loss and said they won’t touch it because it’s a liability. It has the second rudder in the front (the mechanic had never seen before. he thought it was added by a previous owner) the front and back rudder are turning the same way, and he thinks that’s the problem. The boat when driving in the water turns itself violently to the right no matter how fast I’m going. The first time it did it it bout threw us all out. 

Edited by AlainaMcMillan02