My engine started overheating at the end of the day and I killed the engine and let it cool down.  I got it out with no other issue and assume it's the impeller.   I was wondering if there is a way to bypass the impeller so I can winterize it and change out the impeller in the spring.   I have a 04 cyclone with a mercruiser 350 5.7.

InfinitySurf    302

Don't know what you mean by "bypass"...the impeller is what sucks the water in and cools down the engine. You can still winterize the engine by draining all water out of engine, just maybe not want to start it up to run stabil thru fuel system and to pull antifreeze into the cooling system if its not working right, if it shredded impeller, every time you run it you are putting more debris pieces in your system...so you need to remove impeller or at least check it. If you can afford the $40 to buy impeller now, you should do it so you ensure the safety of engine. If you live in Michigan, its gonna freeze and IMO you will want the RV antifreeze in cooling system of engine as extra protection...

rhino89523    34

I'm with infinity, buy an impeller now, if you wanted to try to bypass the impeller you would have to pressurize antifreeze into the system, I guess it could be done with a fake a lake and some kind of a pump but I think your best bet is to replace the impeller and be ready for next season.

Wylie_Tunes    146

You can certainly protect the engine from winter without an impeller and without running the engine, but you may not be able to perform your complete fall layup procedure. To effectively change the oil, you need to run the engine to operating temp, then run another minute after new oil and filter is in. Will not be able to cycle fuel treatment into the fuel rail without running. 

IMO, I Would want to be able to complete a full layup as well as confirm my overheating issue is resolved and with no further damage. Id replace the impeller now and not worry about it being in there over winter. 

Thanks for the input. I will change the impeller. By bypass, I meant hook a hose to the line off the impeller to the engine.

On 9/7/2017 at 1:22 PM, Wylie_Tunes said:

You can certainly protect the engine from winter without an impeller and without running the engine, but you may not be able to perform your complete fall layup procedure. To effectively change the oil, you need to run the engine to operating temp, then run another minute after new oil and filter is in. Will not be able to cycle fuel treatment into the fuel rail without running. 

IMO, I Would want to be able to complete a full layup as well as confirm my overheating issue is resolved and with no further damage. Id replace the impeller now and not worry about it being in there over winter. 

Is there anything you guys would use to coat the impeller during the winter?  Grease,  oil,  Vaseline? 

Wylie_Tunes    146

its not necessary IMO. However, if you choose, do no use anything thats petroleum based. 100% silicone. 

Shaka    146

Agree with Wylie_Tunes. Change your impeller now and don't worry about pulling it out for the winter. Pulling the impeller IMHO after winterization is unnecessary.