rhino89523

Changing out hard tank center ballast to fuel.

rhino89523    34

Just wondering if anyone has done it. I have a 2005 Avalanche and we have been surfing it a lot. Over labor day we surfed nonstop from about 10:00am until around 5:30 when we ran out of gas. Few breaks in there but none longer than maybe 10 minutes. I could have gone till dark but didn't have the fuel. When we were in Powell I was running around everywhere with 5, five gallon kickers in the walkway. Has me thinking about getting rid of the center ballast and using that as a fuel tank. Not sure how I would do it yet because I need to pull the floor to get at it but it's just an idea.....anyone done it? I figure they call it a 250lb so 250/8.34 equals about 30 gallons....30 gallons of additional fuel would get the job done for sure.

Edited by rhino89523

Bigcatpt    408

Rhino,

My 2003 Avy has the 2nd fuel tank.  I did not do the conversion.  I believe it was the previous owner or maybe even done at the factory.  

It looks like to me that they just converted the center ballast tank into a fuel tank.  Added some fill hose and vent line, fuel line to the manual switch in the engine compartment, and then a sending unit to the dash.    

I have two fuel fills.  Both of them on the starboard side.  One just forward of the steering console.  One about even with the seat backs of the rear seat.  

Inside the engine compartment there is a manual switch to choose front (34 gallon) or rear (30 gallon) tanks.  

At the helm I have a toggle switch on the switch panel which controls which fuel tank sending unit registers on the dash display.  

I hope that helps.  I can send pics if it would help.  

I can't imagine having any other set up on my boat.  34 gallons is just not enough for a long day of boating and especially not at Lake Powell!  I LOVE it!   For normal single day boating trips I always make sure that both tanks are full for ballast reasons.  I always use fuel out of the front tank first for ballast reasons.  

While gas doesn't weigh quite as much as H2O, I would rather have the fuel capacity any day.  

Good luck!  

centuridude    9

I am interested in this too for my 2009 Avy.  In fact, I had already contacted Centurion to see if I could buy the tank from them.  They did not have any in stock and referred me to the manufacturer, Moeller.  I contacted Moeller, and they said that the tank was a custom part and was no longer made.  They gave me a part number of FT2334, which I believe is a 23 gallon tank.  They also sent me a drawing of the tank, which I am happy to share if anyone would like it.

Bigcatpt - I would be interested in seeing some pics of your setup.  My understanding is that if the second tank were fitted, you would change over to it via a mechanical valve located via the circular hatch located in the floor (my boat has this hatch).  It sounds like your setup is a little different as your access is through the engine compartment.

I have also thought about pulling both the gas tank and and the center ballast tank and replacing them with a single, larger tank.  That would make things much easier as you wouldn't need to switch between the tanks, add a second fill inlet, etc. 

rhino89523    34

I'm playing with the same ideas, I definitely do not want a second fill port, I want to fill through the single inlet. A larger tank would work I just want more fuel so I can run 12+ hours of surfing.