Sign in to follow this  
chenige

2000 elite idle?

chenige    84

What should the idle RPM be?

chenige    84

It is idling when warm at about 1100 per boat tach. There seems to be no mechanical adjustment. MPI fuel injection  

Ideas?  If not I will have the mechanic look at it this winter. 

beau t    8

looking at a manual for a MPI EFI 5.7(assuming its the correct manual)  it saying 600 to 700rpm  when warm 

there are a couple different things to look at,  comp temp sensor, Throttle PositionSensor, idle air control are a couple i can think of but I'm no use in giving any direction on how to check (sorry)     

chenige    84

Yea, it is running a little fast so docking is tough. And it says 600 on top of the motor. 

Edited by chenige

Jake707    171

Mine idles around 700 ish or in that area, def not 1100 so If youre sure the tach is correct or it sounds high to you in person then I would look around and check for a vacuum leak first. That can be a good cause for rapid or rough idle. Next could be that throttle position sensor that seems to be the hot topic this summer for a lot of people.

chenige    84

Not sure if the dash tach is correct. Just know it is very hard to dock. Cannot go slow enough. 

InfinitySurf    302

Mine idles at 600 or so and I gotta click in and out of neutral to dock slowly. You could put digital idle guage on motor to find out the real rpm. Most mechanics have one

rhino89523    34

Most new timing lights have RPM built in, find a buddy with one and just hook it up to a wire and positive negative and it will verify functional tach. I have to jog in and out of gear to dock as well.

Jake707    171

You should be able to hear the difference between 1100 and 6-700 especially if it used to idle correctly and now is higher.

chenige    84

Boat is out of the water for the season. Gonna ask the mechanic to check the rpm. 

Jake707    171

Sorry I pulled the CA douche bag move and assumed everyone was still on the water haha. It will be 94 this weekend

CO Surfer    289

Still have another month here in SW Colorado.  Looking forward to this weekend as 80% of the boats that were on the lake last weekend will be gone.

InfinitySurf    302

I can usually be comfortable till end of Oct in NC....then wetsuit in Nov till Thanksgiving. That is usually when I winterize unless we get weird weather.

chenige    84

Kids are in school and it is all over til we rake the leaves. 

Mrwick    65

A vacuum leak can cause high idle as well....vacuum line, intake manifold gasket, etc......   you can spray a little carb spray around the intake while the engine is idling and if you have a leak, you should hear a change in rpm's.....I'm not sure what engine you have, but some models are prone to have intake problems.