Willy.Fire

2006 T5 Air Warrior

Willy.Fire    6

Hi all. Looking to purchase a 06 T5 Air warrior. Has 110 hours. 350 mag mpi. Needs a little tlc but mostly just lights, speedo, rpm gauges not working little trailer rust but nothing that I have found major. Any good or bad reviews about this boat. I have never owned a direct drive or vdrive. Would be replacing  a Tahoe 19.5' sterndrive without tower 220 hp merc mpi.  We are a younger family with 3 kids 4-6-8 and love water sports. Would be using for tubing, skiing (adults and kids) wakeboarding and hopefully we can all learn to surf. Really like our Tahoe but I feel like we would enjoy a boat with tower and something that we could surf behind but cannot afford the newer boats. Anyways just looking for help on what to look for before I go thru with it. Thanks 

InfinitySurf    302

That is very low hours for a 2006 boat....if you get it the first thing you should do is replace every fluid and filter in boat, and of course replace the impeller. I can tell you for sure you will not regret going from I/O to an inboard. So much more that boat can do and they make perfect family boats.

I don't personally know a lot about the Air Warrior (too give a review), but sure you could have her surfing pretty quick by adding a suck gate and likely some ballast bags (depending on how its set up now). Again...doesn't matter what previous owner says, unless he has paper documentation showing someone just did it, replace that impeller and all fluids, including fuel filters. Biggest issue with low hour boats are that they sit for long periods. You may even want to drain gas tank if regular ethenol fuel was ever used. Good luck man, sounds like a good boat for you and your family. Sure others will chime in with more specific info on that year.

Willy.Fire    6

Thank you for your reply. Previous owner has videos of them surfing. Only has the stock 350lbs ballast and looked ok. I'm not ever going to be a extreme surfer so it looks perfect. I'm very familiar with used boats so I'm comfortable with what to look for as far as engine maintenance. I would also have a merc tech check official hours to make sure they match the dash. Only problem is this boat is 5 hours away so want as much info before I make the trip to look it over in person. Sounds like a perfect multi purpose boat for us. 

CO Surfer    289

T5 is a direct drive.  Not going to be a very good surf boat compared to other Centurions.

Willy.Fire    6

I cant find a bigger wake V drive within 10k of this though. And we are maxed out at the price of this. Like i say it really is going to be a multi use boat. Id guess i would use to surf 1 out of 10 time out. I dont even have time to wakeboard right now the kids use up all the time haha.

Willy.Fire    6

I was about to pull the pin on this t5 with 105 hours and a 03 Centurion Avalanche 22' v drive with 375 hours has came up for right around the same price. it needs a little tlc has a good mechanical history and spoke with the dealer who just did a full service on it and seems ok as far as the engine. has some stress cracks on front of tower mounts but only gel coat. needs some vinyl work and just a good cleaning.  Any good or bad on a avalanche over t5? 

carguy79ta    67

I cant talk to the goods or bads of the Avy.  but a lot of people here surf them. however..as a v drive it will prolly surf better.  surfing is addicting...you can add sacks as budgets allow.  have fun!

Jake707    171

My vote is if they're close in price get the Avy as long as its mechanically sound. Way more potential to grow into and with little ones the wrap around seating is much better than a direct drive. Also if you want to learn to surf the direct drive is pretty much a no go in that category. Vinyl can be replaced for around 4-5K for the full boat and isn't a necessity but rather something you can do a year or two down the road if needed so I wouldn't really factor that against the Avy. Like I said as long as the Avy is mechanically sound I would go with that hands down.  You can put all the lipstick in the world on a pig but at the end of the day its still a pig, not saying the T5 is a pig necessarily but when compared to an equally conditioned Avy....... lets just say its the step sister of the family.

direct drives have their place and it is almost exclusively in competition style skiing .

• Like 1

Jlagos    23

Go with the Avy if you "know" it's a solid boat. The vdrive configuration will give way more space. Also your children's legs are going to start stretching real soon and space will become tighter. In the 21- 22 ft range, the foot difference is very significant and will likely feel like 2 feet when compared to the direct drive. Have you thought where you'll put the cooler in the T5?

Skibumm    184

It would depend on what you are looking to do.  If you are wanting to surf mainly then the avy for sure.  If your wanting to ski then the T5.  You will have more room in the Avy but as an owner of a slalom tug that is not even an open bow you can still get people into them and have a fun day just not as roomy.  You can also surf a direct drive but it is not its design and you will be working just to stay in the pocket that is the size of a dime.  So my two cents from a skier is that the Avy is a better fit unless you are going to be chasing bouys in a course

Willy.Fire    6

great points and thanks for the advise. The owner is taking the time to do a full facetime video of the 03 avalanche with me this morning to show the cosmetic issues and so i can get a better feel for it overall. If good Ill have him take to get a pre-purchace inspection done and go from there. It does need a bimini and I can not find where to get used or new ones any suggestions where to look? Im in canada 

Willy.Fire    6

Im a recreational skier at best haha. Will never be in a course but usually if time slalom each time we are out just for exercise. As far as surfing I have never had the opportunity to try but love water sports and think we would love it. We have 9-10 people on board regularly 5 adults and younger kids so room is important.  

Nick213    583

Wow, I wouldn't even consider the T5 if you plan on 9-10 people on the boat. Even in my avy if I have 9 people we might surf but don't fill the bags all the way and leave the lead at home. When I have 9+ people we are going to party cove and hanging out all day.

Willy.Fire    6

We have managed with this amount in our 19.5 i/o all summer. Its not great but gets us out there. We do drop some of on beach but are on the water with this amount lots. I hope this avalanche checks out. 

Jlagos    23

Nice. If you have a long trek with it back home it's nice to have a dual axle however be careful with tires they appear as if they maybe older. How does the cover look? It's another expense that can creep up on you quickly. Other than a bimini hopefully she's mechanically sound and you can get some time on the water with it prior to the cold season. iboats.com is one of many sites that will have new biminis. $300-400 depending on quality you choose. 

Edited by Jlagos

Willy.Fire    6

He said cover is ok but will need replaced hard to tell until I see I though. Trailer has been well used. Tires are about 50%. I have no problem doing my own wheel bearings if they need done. Fenders need sanded and repainted but all little cosmetic things.  Still waiting on the video. 

Troy    234

My vote would be the Avy. Once you start surfing you will only want to surf. LOL

• Like 2

Willy.Fire    6

cover is ok but he suggested needs replaced. trailer has been well used. im ok changing my own wheel bearing and those small things if needed. tires are 50%.

IMG_4419.JPG

IMG_4409.JPG