Has anyone tried the 2017 Eight.3 Ronix Wakesurf Shaper on a 2016/17 S238 Supreme. I'm wondering if they are worth the investment and curious about the reliability/durability of the Velcro attachment system? Also do they work and improve an already decent wake for wakesurfing? They aren't cheap once bought in CDN $! :-(

https://www.wakemakers.com/eight3-wakesurf-shaper.html

Cheers....Blair

InfinitySurf    302

Have not checked out that system cause I dont like sticking velcro to boat and it seems overpriced. From what I have seen, almost all the suck gates effect the wave almost the same. I love mine and personally use the Nauticurl and it does a great job. Floating model is $230 and they have some discount codes on WW forum right now...think like $20 off.

Nauticurl.com

Cdifranco    463

Get a suction cup one.. any of them 

• Like 1

DarksideR    1,679
5 hours ago, Cdifranco said:

Get a suction cup one.. any of them 

Get this one... it'll make me some gas money!

Works great on my buddies s226.

https://www.perfectwake.ca/

MFaso    56

I'm not sure why you need that on a 16/17 s238. Are you running stock ballast? I thought these things were for boats without surf systems or ballast. I see no need for it on my 17 s238.

Cdifranco    463
5 hours ago, MFaso said:

I'm not sure why you need that on a 16/17 s238. Are you running stock ballast? I thought these things were for boats without surf systems or ballast. I see no need for it on my 17 s238.

None of us "need" it. But it's an option. 

Nolance    18

I've been experimenting with the swell on my 16' 226 and I have to say that with a small crew it works pretty well.  I can easily surf 15ft with a ton of push...the only i don't like is that the lip is a little washed out.  Nice to have options...

MFaso    56

my normal crew is my wife driving and 2(little) kids. :)

But, because of that I do put a 450 sumo on the floor. Now I'm just so used to it that I fill the sack even when I have 3 guys on the boat. I guess once you start something that works or makes it better, you just keep doing it. Sounds like the surf devices are no different. I'm going to stay away from it though. I've been REALLY happy with my boat and wake since figuring things out.

Hein    63

We are CNCing a simple suck gate and offering it for $50. You purchase your own suction handle, cut out the handle part, drill some holes and mount. Or we can do all that for $100.  Please contact us through DIYvan.com.

suck_gate_v3_4shots.jpg

Edited by Hein

On 8/17/2017 at 8:34 PM, Nolance said:

I've been experimenting with the swell on my 16' 226 and I have to say that with a small crew it works pretty well.  I can easily surf 15ft with a ton of push...the only i don't like is that the lip is a little washed out.  Nice to have options...

I've got a couple of them I can borrow.  I tried one for an afternoon and we found the same thing.  It takes the lip off and makes it hard to get air.   I found that it does give a little wider play area and worked well for skimming.   For surf style I like the boat heavily weighted/listed.   I'll have to try it for Goofy riders.  We typically don't have any goofies on board but we're messing around on both sides of the wake so it would be a quick change over if we can get enough wave to make it worth doing.  More testing...

rhino89523    34

Any of the gates that are not automated can be made in minutes for minimal dollars, Go over to wake garage, lots of guys building all kinds of stuff, even automated systems. The Ronix system can be copied with $10 worth of velcro and a $20 plastic skateboard ramp from Amazon, I personally don't want velcro on the side of my boat and currently have a homemade suck gate that took less than an hour and about $30 bucks to build.

I like the ease with which we can switch side to side and don't need to live mega listed. I still list slightly by simply moving people but I don't have to live all day Gangsta leaned. For the record I suck and so do most of my friends, we are fairly fresh to the surfing game and really don't know what we are doing. I also don't have the super new boat with all the surf gizmos and my ballast system is mostly homebrew not the factory surf setups, we are still playing with it and tweaking it to get the longest pocket etc. so my words are by no means gospel....but currently we like the gate

Jake707    171

I agree Rhino. I spent almost a full week at work reading through the 100 plus pages about the suckgate on a thread in the Mastercraft forum a couple years back then built one at home and have loved it ever since.  Havent made any changes to it since originally building it and love being evenly weighted and myself and everyone that comes with us don't know the difference in wave so its perfect.

Thanks to everyone for the great comments. Don't get me wrong, our 2016 S238 Supreme throws a pretty mean wake but we are just looking into ways to improve upon it and make it abit longer so we can ride further back, in other words, more push further back I guess. I don't know the proper terms yet for describing the wake. We are very new to this whole wakesurfing thing but man do we ever like it. My eldest son (27) is a really good wakesurfer and does flips and 360's etc so he is a perfectionist and looking for ways to improve the wake for wakesurfing as well so he can finish his 360's without needing a rope thrown back quickly. LOL

I think I may give the nauticurl a try and perhaps I won't have to list the boat quite as much.  We are also considering the ~$400 upgrade to swap out our rear plug-n-play corner sacs for larger ones. I understand that there are larger sacs that fit in these compartments then what comes with the boat, not sure why Supreme doesn't install then right from the factory. hmmmm   Does anyone have any knowledge of these larger sacs for the back plug-n-play corners of the S238 Supreme?

Cheers everyone!

MFaso    56
43 minutes ago, Blair Goldade said:

Thanks to everyone for the great comments. Don't get me wrong, our 2016 S238 Supreme throws a pretty mean wake but we are just looking into ways to improve upon it and make it abit longer so we can ride further back, in other words, more push further back I guess. I don't know the proper terms yet for describing the wake. We are very new to this whole wakesurfing thing but man do we ever like it. My eldest son (27) is a really good wakesurfer and does flips and 360's etc so he is a perfectionist and looking for ways to improve the wake for wakesurfing as well so he can finish his 360's without needing a rope thrown back quickly. LOL

I think I may give the nauticurl a try and perhaps I won't have to list the boat quite as much.  We are also considering the ~$400 upgrade to swap out our rear plug-n-play corner sacs for larger ones. I understand that there are larger sacs that fit in these compartments then what comes with the boat, not sure why Supreme doesn't install then right from the factory. hmmmm   Does anyone have any knowledge of these larger sacs for the back plug-n-play corners of the S238 Supreme?

Cheers everyone!

I'm new to all this as well but was asking the same questions last Christmas. I couldn't understand why they wouldn't just put the most weight possible and why an expensive machine doesn't have what it needs. There are a few reasons and some may be speculation. First and most important, if and when you add all the extra weight, you are definitely over the weight capacity, and technically illegal. Although no one is going to weigh your boat, the manufactures can't send boats out knowing the weight is over what it should be.

Anyway, the stock wave even with 3-4 people on the boat is nothing compared to the upgraded wave. I have the wakemakers upgrade, which bumps the rear sacks to 700s and adds midship bags that are about 350, I think. I also have 500lbs of lead in the rear. When it's just me, my wife and kids(they are little), and 1 friend, I also fill a 450lb sumo sack and put it on the floor. It becomes an addiction QUICK. I had a bunch of people out last night and didn't fill the sumo sack because my buddy weights about 280 and we had another 5 people onboard.

The wake with the upgrades is awesome. The boat doesn't struggle at all and we have had some insane surf nights this summer. Check wakemakers. I don't think you can get much for $400, that will really make the difference you are looking for, unfortunately. Personally, I'd save on the nauticurl and put that money into bigger rear sacks and lead. I don't feel like I wasted any money upgrading and buying lead. If you think the wake is nice now, then the upgraded wake will blow your mind. The difference is VERY noticeable.

MFaso    56
20 minutes ago, Blair Goldade said:

Thanks MFaso, great information!!! When does too much weight in the boat sink it?? LOL

My rubrail is about an inch from the water and my platform is probably almost knee deep or just below it. The boat is perfectly fine. It would take 3-5x more weight to really cause a problem. the boat is built for this stuff. I surf at 11.1mph. The midship bags are key to not having to drive with the bow in the air. I can see in front of me still without an issue.

There are guys here who have 1100s in the rear lockers. My 700s fill it. the 1100s can't even fill all the way and they also push against the wall and eventually break it, which is more of a problem and more likely than sinking the boat because of too much weight.

rhino89523    34

I don't know about your boat at all, I have an Avy with the walkthrough on the Starboard side. I have one of those enzo style sacks that fills up the compartment and under the seat on port, on starboard we have a 325 in the compartment and an 800 laid in the walkway. I fill to level on port. Depending on people sometimes I put a bag up front unless I have people up there. I don't use my factory center tank as I can move a few people around without it and get a baby list going. Then put the homemade suction gate on there whatever side we are not surfing and it has my fat tush having to stomp the brakes to avoid bashing into the swim step and a long enough pocket I am amazed at what I can pump back and recover from....helps if the driver throws a quick crank of the wheel in there for a second when I'm in no mans land. I am at 6000ft with a torquer prop on there, if I weight the back without putting anything up front it wont get the job done with the 315 MPI I have in there, it will ride all nose high and the wave wont form, with weight up front it pulls it no problem. The center ballast seemed to balance it so much we couldn't get a baby list going and seemed to just make the motor work harder for minimal results in the wave department.

We are still playing with it every time out, we had a great wave working Wednesday night and hope to replicate that this weekend. It seems more weight is where its at, the cheapest way to get there is invite more people and make them pay for gas...haha. Get some sacs, we like my $30 suck gate and just keep playing with it. It gets better every time out and for me messing with stuff is half of the fun.