Jake707

Towing with Toyota Highlander

Jake707    171

Im looking to let my 97 Tahoe go and getting a 2012 Toyota Highlander with the Toyota "Tow Package". The internet seems to be all over the place on if they can really pull 5K lbs like their rating. Does anyone have any experience with one towing? I think my Elite and trailer come in around 4500 so it should be inline, hell my Tahoe is only rated at 5K too and gets half the gas mileage the highlander would get so since I will also now be using the vehicle to commute to work I was looking for some first hand experiences before I pull the plug 

Bongo Fury    640

Get more than you need!!!   My 07 Sequoia is only rated at 6200lbs...It was fine with my Falcon V but with my 233 I wont go farther than my lift to the dealer on the other side of the lake and back.  Wish I had more but at this point I'm not going to drop the cash for a new tow rig....just keep it very close to home.  Better to buy the right one now than having to do it again if you ever upgrade the boat.  JMTC

• Like 1

rrd525    40

I doubt you would enjoy towing as much.  The Toyouta will have less weight, less wheelbase, and less torque.

Jake707    171

Well we looked into it a bit more and decided that we need to lower my "new" car budget and use that difference toward our 70' retaining wall and 1100 sf paver patio project instead. Funny how that didn't come up last year when we bought her new car but now that its my car oh it makes more sense........ haha   So Ill just be getting another commuter for now and we will keep the Tahoe.  Maybe Ill just plan to buy Nicks boat and a newer Tahoe next year haha   only if one of this lotto tickets hit.

for future reference was I inline at my estimate of 4500 for my Elite V and trailer? Specs online put the boat at 3000 dry so I figure with gas and fluids that's maybe another 500 and that trailer couldn't weigh more than 1000 right?

Nick213    583

Wish I could tell you that's a good plan but if I still have my avy next year my wife will divorce me.... Yes she's a great wife!

Jake707    171

We could do like Deebo from the movie Friday........ "Itll be like both our boat we will just keep it at my house"   haha

Mrwick    65

My buddy uses a newer Highlander to pull his Lund 1850 tyee.   That boat with gear is probably 3500 pound or so (just guessing).   It pulls the boat ok but doesn’t like steep boat ramps.  It’s pretty sketchy!

Jake707    171

I ended up getting a highlander and keeping the Tahoe for now. I like the Toyota to commute to work in but at the end of the day a Toyota V6 aint going to pull like my chevy 350 haha  plus the front vs rear wheel drive and unibody vs frame all pointed to keeping the Tahoe until we decide to upgrade it. 

I would love a Silverado 3500 but I don't have 40+K sitting in my pocket ready to go haha

Nick213    583

40+K..... I wish bud, if they were I'd have 2!

there 60+K all day?

Bongo Fury    640

Yup....the rig we looked at was going to be around $70K out the door with tax etc.......thats why I cant justify buying one to pull my boat around the lake twice a year.   My 07 Sequoia can do the annual trips to Hillside and storage and back to the lift,  but no road trips.   Just put my boat in storage yesterday in fact.  Sad day!

rrd525    40

You won't want to see the price of trucks in Canada.

My 1500 Silverado could tow pretty reasonably, and well within tow limits. It failed on payload. I swayed back and forth on upgrading to a 3500 Duramax, but after the first pull knew we made the right choice. No sway from wind,  and endless engine braking and torque for hills.  7 months of the year it is unnecessary for me, but it costs me the same to run in diesel as the gas truck did. Including the def fluid. The resale will be better as well, unless it hits some major malfunction usually tied to emissions.

FB_IMG_1495377422555.jpg

FB_IMG_1495414985076.jpg

• Like 1

carguy79ta    67

can' go wrong with 2500 Diesel, you pick the brand.  I have a 2500 Ram Diesel. deleted, etc. love it. My wife drives a new Duramax.  nice truck but I prefer Ram for diesels.