rrd525

Bags Self Draining

xj1514    13

I lost 3/4 of a bag yesterday while sitting and eating lunch. Bags were full, shut lids, ate lunch, test run for wake since its a finicky boat, and realized something was amiss, starboard pnp was only 1/4 full. 

stoked    1,039

Did your bilge pump run at all in that period? That's a heck of a siphon

xj1514    13

No it didnt. I looked in the bilge as well, dry. Guess I'll get some corks for next weekend. 

MFaso    56

I only see some spill when we first start and it's because I max it out until I see it "pee" out the side.(that's what we call it.) Haven't seen anything other than that. Mine are 700s though. I'm not sure how much larger the 1100s are or where the drain hose is.

InfinitySurf    302

I have a friend I ride with that has a VLX...he has same issue and bought rubber corks to stop them up from draining. Last time we went out he used them and it worked good for him, lost no water. Luckily, I don't have that issue on mine but run a good amount of bow weight to keep nose down, so maybe that is why it does not happen on my boat. Mine are not cross vented either, but the vent are further forward  at front of locker and up high, so even if I ran bow high, don't think they would drain out.

Wylie_Tunes    146

We have seen this issue more and more with taller, larger ballast sacs. First step is isolating which plumbing circuit the passive draining is occurring through. Depending on the pump system, it could fill, drain, vent or any combo of them. Once you isolate the offending circuit, the fix depends on the pump system, ballast layout and how the boat is uses. Crossing the vents and drain lines work for a listed surf boat, but not for those evenly weighted and using a surf apparatus.  Check valves can work, again depending on other factors. Manual valves can certainly stock passive draining, but now you no longer have an automated ballast system. id prefer to not use them. Vented loops can work, however, in a vent line application, a vented loop would put the vent line dipping well below the top of the sac. This can create venting issue. 

• Like 1

Mrwick    65

Ok, lakerat, ever since I have read this thread I have been noticing my boats purging of water while underway...... Mine comes from the drain pump circuit on my rear hard tanks that are piggybacked to my under seat sacs.  I'm trying the redneck cork thing this weekend!

xj1514    13

Got the corks, plugged the holes, and it still lost water. So confused. 

InfinitySurf    302

Here is another thot...a few weeks ago, I noticed I was losing water from bags but not draining out of the sides. I pulled them and realized that water was coming out around my threads and fittings were a little loose. I used the white "pipe dope" thread sealant on the male threads, screwed them back in nice and tight and that fixed my issue. Perhaps something similar is happening to you? Could be leaking on the back fitting where you cannot see it and water would go straight to bilge without you seeing it

Mrwick    65

Corks work........there's got to be a better way!   It's hard to explain to the fat cats with the new RZX's and G's that I have to drink 2 bottles of wine to plug my drains before I can surf?

• Haha 1

rrd525    40

Rubber corks work great in the sides.  No more puking water. Our bags lose water out the pumps though, so that means time to change the impellers.

Bongo Fury    640
20 hours ago, InfinitySurf said:

Here is another thot...a few weeks ago, I noticed I was losing water from bags but not draining out of the sides. I pulled them and realized that water was coming out around my threads and fittings were a little loose. I used the white "pipe dope" thread sealant on the male threads, screwed them back in nice and tight and that fixed my issue. Perhaps something similar is happening to you? Could be leaking on the back fitting where you cannot see it and water would go straight to bilge without you seeing it

Good point here......Pretty sure this is exactly what is happening to me on my port pro bag....been trying like heck to isolate it and this looks to be the issue.

Mrwick    65

IMG_4544.JPG

• Like 1

xj1514    13
On 9/3/2017 at 9:55 PM, rrd525 said:

Rubber corks work great in the sides.  No more puking water. Our bags lose water out the pumps though, so that means time to change the impellers.

This is what mine has been doing since new. Got to be an impellar issue from the factory. 

InfinitySurf    302

I bought replacement impellers from wakemakers, they were running a sale on the green synthetic ones...normally $35, on sale for $25 each. I hear those last longer and are designed to run dry for a while without hurting them.

Wylie_Tunes    146

Surprised green is being sold. Both Jonson and Jabsco started installing orange impeller in their pumps 2-3 years ago and stopped using green.  Green was in use 3-4 year prior so I would be surprised if a 2014 boat didnt already have green or orange. 

InfinitySurf    302

They may have green or orange in there already, I have not pulled them yet to look, since I am still taking boat out every week and have not taken the time to replace them....I just top them off every 30 mins. I am going out Weds again since LKN is still decent on far South side near Blythe Landing, reads mid 70's. I went surfing on Friday a little further North and it was close to being chilly enough to want a wetsuit.

Since the 2 PnP bags in lockers are not on timers, they run dry for a minute or 2 every time I empty and I have left them running more than a few times for probably around 10mins to long, since I was cruising back while emptying and could not hear them change pitch and forgot about them :-( Figure 3 full summers is not bad for a pump impeller tho

gravity12    83

They can drain out of the fill line if you are using areators. Mine was until i put some check valves on the lines. 

xj1514    13
11 hours ago, gravity12 said:

They can drain out of the fill line if you are using areators. Mine was until i put some check valves on the lines. 

Explain more please, Im not familiar with areators?

Wylie_Tunes    146
58 minutes ago, xj1514 said:

Explain more please, Im not familiar with areators?

Live well aerator pumps as opposed to reversible impeller pumps.