InfinitySurf

Suck gate wave pics on SV244

InfinitySurf    302

Anyone else running suckgate on SV244/SV233? Would love to see pics of your results too!

Loving the amount of push and how long the surfable area of wave is with Nauticurl suck gate, easily 15-20ft back. Even without adding any lead, have been very impressed with just 1-2 people in boat. ZR409 engine, 11mph @ 3400rpm, center trim plate @ 50...#1433 prop (14.25 X 14.25). CATS does not seem to do much when boat is not listed, so I leave it centered at 50. Been averaging 4-5 GPH of fuel which makes me very happy... Put 30hrs on clock so far this summer, last 10hrs using suck gate. With extra ballast it increases my rpm by 200 but has not noticeably changed fuel consumption and I have run calculations at every fill up this summer simply out of curiosity. When I bought boat, I expected to spend WAY more on fuel, so its been a nice surprise.

100% Ramfill = 2500lbs. 100% PnP in rear lockers = 1400lbs. Full bow sac = 500lbs. (Sometimes spread 500lbs of lead too..but not in any of these pics cause really not needed).

Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg

Surfing resized.jpg

Wave pic. resized.jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

• Like 2

Cdifranco    463

I  run one on my SV211 when it's choppy out or if we're constantly switching sides. Waves great

bluesman280    99

Was testing our old homemade suck gate from last year on our SV 233. QF full, PnP full, pro ballast full, no bow weight, 2 people in the boat. We also have 90# of lead on each side. Had to dump a little weight out of the QF on the fly to bring the bow down a little, probably due to the extra lead. Wish we had an extra body or bag for the bow. Had a couple bags but we rarely use them so I forgot to grab the pump out of the rope bag we left in the truck. 

No cats, and still playing with the trim. Port side was a great wave, longer, flatter, more push. Bumped speed up to 11.4 - 11.6 mph. I'm 250# and can surf no problem on the Trident, with or without the suck gate, but definitely had more push with the gate. The wave is quite different, I really like the faster feel of the steeper listed wave, but think I could easily get used to the suck gate wave.

We have a couple goofy riders as well, so quick change overs is nice. 

We don't have the A plate, so we just couldn't get the lip to clean up on the goofy side. Normally I can clean the listed goofy wave up with the port QF 2/3 full and 30% trim, but no luck with the suck gate. My son did like the extra push, and thought it was a better wave than our listed wave.

Sorry no pics. Did take a couple vids, but the water was a bit choppy today so the vid doesn't do the wave justice.

JJOcean    30

Not the best pic, but here the goofy wake off my 244 with a Swell attached.  Ramfill, PNP & Bow all full.  Trim 40, CATS 20 11.2 mph.

No lead in that pic, but I've been experimenting recently with about 300 lbs of lead in the bow.  Weather wasbad this weekend, so was just looking at it vs. riding.

rsz_swell_goofy_sv244.jpg

InfinitySurf    302

Bluesman...try adding some weight to the bow or moving your lead up there instead, it really lengthened my wave. Other thing you can do is add more on your trim. I usually run trim at 50 when I don't add lead to the bow (still always have my 500lb bow sac full...and with light crew I will also add 400-500lbs of lead to bow on calmer days)...but I have even run trim plate at 70 when I fill the back and dont add the lead and it still was a great wave. It takes away some of the steepness of the wave running the trim plate vs adding bow ballast, but push was still great.

JJOcean, nice looking goofy wave. I have not gone goofy yet since I only have one guy that surfs with me that rides goofy and he has not been out since I have been using the suck gate.

JJOcean    30
5 hours ago, Jakelegg said:

wave looks great!   cant clean my goofy up!

Do you have an asymmetrical trim plate?  If so, I'd think with some minor adjustments you should get the same with your 244.  My goofy wake looks much better at 11.2-11.4 mph vs 10.8-10.9 mph, so experiment with your speed.  My listed goofy wake (non Swell) is almost the same as that pic - debatable in the difference.  I run the Swell mostly because I'm goofy and my son rides regular, so its like 30 seconds to switch the Swell vs. minutes for a listed switch.

InfinitySurf - you think the extra lead in the bow made a big difference for you?  I haven't surfed my wave yet with the lead, but it doesn't look too different from the quick dry runs I did this past weekend.  Looks can be deceiving though.  I will get out behind it this weekend and tell for sure.

InfinitySurf    302

At first, I would have sworn that the lead made a huge difference (think a large part was also cause that was first time I took the time to exactly set up my suck gate wave tho which allowed me to max out entire boat and it was easily the best wave I had ever been on and the long time surfers with me agreed), since then tho I have been out 6-8 times without lead either cause it was really windy/choppy...or kids were with me who like to tube, SUP board and swim a lot, so knew I would only get a few sets surfing and didn't want to deal with the hassle of dragging it with me. I was still able to get a great wave without lead with great push. It seems to me that the lead in bow adds a little push and does extend the wave some on length (cleaner than using trim tab to push down bow) so when its just me and 1-2 surfing friends where all we are doing is surf.....I take the lead. But I can do without it as well. If I did not have so much available water ballast on boat, I think lead would be more of a necessity, guess the difference between 4400lbs and 4900lbs with the lead doesn't make it incredibly different. One of the things I like most about suck gate is that no matter the conditions, you slam ballast and go with maybe a couple minor tweaks that may take 5mins...listing always required me playing with settings since conditions changed the setting that worked and I work way to much, so when i get on boat I wanna get straight to surfing, not spend 20-30mins getting it perfect.

Jacklegg...if you don't have the asymmetrical trim plate.....I believe it was either Stoked or Nick213 who knows someone who can make one for you for a few hundred, saw one of them post a contact not long ago. Makes a big difference on cleaning up the goofy side.

bluesman280    99
16 hours ago, InfinitySurf said:

Bluesman...try adding some weight to the bow or moving your lead up there instead, it really lengthened my wave. Other thing you can do is add more on your trim. I usually run trim at 50 when I don't add lead to the bow (still always have my 500lb bow sac full...and with light crew I will also add 400-500lbs of lead to bow on calmer days)...but I have even run trim plate at 70 when I fill the back and dont add the lead and it still was a great wave. It takes away some of the steepness of the wave running the trim plate vs adding bow ballast, but push was still great.

Yep, figured I was probably going to need more bow weight. We were running a light crew. One body in the bow helped but still felt like we needed more weight up there. The lead was buried deep under the full ballast bags in the rear lockers or we would have moved them. That's the plan for the next time out. I love the steep, fast wave we normally get without the suck gate, but I think we have more push and a way longer pocket with the suck gate, and that was without spending much time fine tuning the wave. With me at 250#, more push is always a good thing. We messed with the trim, found having it at 100% helped get up to surf speed after the launch and then backed it down to between 30 - 50%.

bluesman280    99
On 6/26/2017 at 7:37 AM, JJOcean said:

Not the best pic, but here the goofy wake off my 244 with a Swell attached.  Ramfill, PNP & Bow all full.  Trim 40, CATS 20 11.2 mph.

rsz_swell_goofy_sv244.jpg

Definitely a cleaner goofy wave than we get. Do you have the A plate? I keep saying I need to get one, but still havent. We can get a nice clean wave listed, but not with the suck gate. 

JJOcean    30
53 minutes ago, bluesman280 said:

Definitely a cleaner goofy wave than we get. Do you have the A plate? I keep saying I need to get one, but still havent. We can get a nice clean wave listed, but not with the suck gate. 

Yes, I have an A plate.

• Like 1

Jakelegg    6

thanks guys... does anyone know where to get an  A Plate?

I was given this guy by Nick123 but he wont return my email....  emilescobar@yahoo.com

Cdifranco    463

Suck gate. Port and starboard, tough pics I know. Only filled quick fill and pro bags 

goofy waves not as clean as listed. But has solid push,m

IMG_4326.PNG

IMG_4327.PNG

Edited by Cdifranco
Pics
  • Like 2

Jake707    171

Man Im def jealous. Your guys' waves have a much longer pocket than my Elite.

Edited by Jake707

bluesman280    99

A few pics of the wave today with our suck gate in action. Used it all day today.

IMG_20170702_191611.jpg

IMG_20170702_191545.jpg

IMG_20170702_170518.jpg

bluesman280    99

I get a kick out of watching our regular crew surfing the suck gate for the first time. They don't realize how much longer the pocket is.  It takes them a bit to realize they don't need to keep pumping the board to catch up to the wave. Once they relax and let the wave do it's thing they are pretty amazed at the new wave. We have it dialed in for a much longer wave with much more push and I think we can get it even better with a bit more weight in the bow. That was 225# ballast and 180# person in the bow. Hopefully we get back out tomorrow. Hoping to try 500 - 575# in the bow.

Myself I find it to be a slower wave than the fast steep listed wave I have become accustomed to, but with 2 min change overs just to move the suck gate, it means way more surfing and less time waisted swapping ballast. With a couple goofy riders on the crew, the suck gate is going to get a lot of action this summer. It probably doesn't hurt that my son thinks he likes the suck gate wave better on the goofy side.

IMG_20170625_190655.jpg

IMG_20170625_190658.jpg

carguy79ta    67

like your gate.  am thinking about trying one on my 257.  my Axis A22 with surfgate and 3500lbs put out a very surfable wave(210# can battle back from 15').  the RI257 with rears and transom, Ramfill...etc full has enough push to keep me on the brakes to prevent being thrown into the back of the of the boat..but since I learned with surfgate..I want to try it on the 257.  why not? always looking for the max wave.

CO Surfer    289

A suckgate on a Ri257?  You have to be kidding, right?

• Like 1

carguy79ta    67

nope going to do it.  if I knew someone who had one I would borrow it.  will prolly fab one up.  don't want to buy one just for an experiment.  when I do it I will post up vids.