Brandon161

Towing a 238 with the cover on?

Brandon161    26

Is anybody towing their boat down the highway with the cover on?  If so,  are you noticing any wear marks on the boat from it?

InfinitySurf    302

I hear that as long as you have the ratchet straps so it tightens really well on sides to keep it from flapping since that is what can cause the wear....and boat/cover is at least 2014 or newer, that you can tow with cover...tho if you have the felt liner around sides its better. Some put put a large blown up beach ball or something in bow to support the cover (hold it up some)....and make sure you REMOVE any support poles as it can tear up cover as it "slaps" up and down. If you have a "hangtyte" support...dont have it tied up to tower when towing. This is all the stuff I have heard.

Personally I do not do it over 40mph, seems risky to me...I have done it a few times for short distance to keep rain out of boat going to or coming back from lake. I know quite a few people that tow with cover a lot tho.

CO Surfer    289

I tow with my cover but it's the new style Centurion cover with the TAPS poles that support the cover from billowing.  Not sure I would tow with it on without the poles.

daz28iroc    73

08 avalanche. I tow with cover in place up to 70mph. I make sure to move the clips down by the frame as i had one strap that left a rub mark i believe the weight / non-aerodynamics of the buckle caused the strap to flap around

Brandon161    26

Alright.  I appreciate the replies.  It's a 2016. I have always towed without a cover.  Just thinking of using to keep crap out 

NW Vettes    11

I've drove multiple long 8 hour stretches with the cover on. Just make sure you have the strap from cover to tower pole on and side straps tight. Never had any rubbing or damage even on my black gel coat. Also I've never used the supporting poles. Once under way it doesn't flap around. I'd use those when storing out side with rain

Edited by NW Vettes

qxbuzz    7

If I plan to tow long distances, I will use heavy duty Saran Wrap (Costco) from about the rub rail up, and just below it towards the bow where the cover comes down lower.  It just adds a little layer between the gel coat and cover. The cover doesn't seem to budge when tightened either.

viking    491

tow my 15 s226 with cover on almost exclusively.  I hardly ever tow without and usually as interstate speeds.

Never had an issue!!

RhuntIII    555

I just towed a 233, 2500 miles. I used painters tape on all the chrome and the front side of the tower. I put towels down on the most rear upward facing vinyl where the cover comes into contact. I had no problems except a tower speaker coming loose which has been repaired. Check those tower speakers on a long haul. Also the cover had some interior straps and poles to keep water from pooling. I had that installed for the road trip as well. 

Jake707    171

Pardon the ignorance here but is towing with the cover on only for long hauls to keep dust and debris out? I tow about 30 miles to the lake when we go and never thought about keeping the cover on. Don't see any real advantage other than maybe the slightest bit of dust from the road getting inside.

BrandinS21    11

Seems like it's personal preference. Some do some don't. I've hauled long distance with the cover just so all the gear doesn't fly out. But some advice would be to wrap the hull where the cover touches with shrink wrap to prevent rubbing your gel coat. The cover will damage the gel over time. Learned that lesson the hard way. 

Short trips with nothing that could fly out I personally would just leave it off. 

h20king    794

I do like above. I wrap with industrial cling wrap where the cover touches the boat and blue painters tape on top of windshield frame. Only tow with the cover on for long trips for local we go topless. 

rrd525    40

We go topless to the local lakes.  Cover on for long hauls to keep the road grime out of the boat.  No issues so far, but I think we will adopt the painters tape on the windshield and rub rail.