Nick610s

Help me set my 08 sv230 up please! (Surf)

InfinitySurf    302

awesome!

Steve leigh    0

Hey I've tried to install a home made wake gate on my 2006 sv230 and the rear of the hull has slight curved at the lower section of the hull preventing the suction cups from sucking to the hull.  Then when I stick the suction cup to the flat portion of the hull located directly above the previous location it sucks right onto the hull.  So I am wondering if the naticurl has smaller or better quality suction cups that suction on to the lower slightly curved portion section of the hull.  Any suggestions???

InfinitySurf    302

I just looked at my SV244, mine also has a slight curve to it below the flatter part of hull where I mount it, then it curves down again about 6" further. I don't know if the Nauticurl has better suction or not....but you gotta press really hard and I will "pump" my handle lightly while I press hard on the suction cups till I feel it "grab", and you can feel the difference once it secures down tight. You gotta make sure you get all air/water out from the suction cups but since I learned how to secure it right, it has never fallen off (first few times it did fall off but I realized I was not pressing hard enough and not getting all the air/water out first).

For reference, 2 pics below to see if your hull is similar. First one shows basically where I place the Nauticurl....the 2nd one, if you look at the rings against the hull, you can see where I place it (tho I dont surf goofy, was just the easiest side of boat to get too). and, I was even able to make the boat look dirty for you so you could see the rings on boat where suction cups go, lol. Actually, getting ready to give the boat a really good cleaning and wax job and hoping that does not effect the gripping power of these suction cups.

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

Nick610s    2
On 6/29/2017 at 8:28 PM, Steve leigh said:

Hey I've tried to install a home made wake gate on my 2006 sv230 and the rear of the hull has slight curved at the lower section of the hull preventing the suction cups from sucking to the hull.  Then when I stick the suction cup to the flat portion of the hull located directly above the previous location it sucks right onto the hull.  So I am wondering if the naticurl has smaller or better quality suction cups that suction on to the lower slightly curved portion section of the hull.  Any suggestions???

I stick mine on the portion of the hull directly in front of the sideswipe. But yes like the previous post, sometimes I have to pump the handle a time or two to get a solid lock. The suction cups are of pretty good quality on the nauticurl IMO. 

nailem    29

Just so you know if you weight the front it will make the wave longer but not as tall. Likewise faster is longer slower equals taller. You of course change the amount of push when making these adjustments. 

enzo on LI    79

I had the same boat for the last 8 years and honestly the last couple of years were the best...we quit over thinking things and literally ran a stock fly high Enzo sac on the port side and nothing more kept as much of the people weight as possible to that side also. The only other thing I did was put a slightly larger plate on the back as it was not adjustable. Seemed to help length. Had push about 15' back on the best days but 10' was normal

arono    0

I've got the same boat and just recently switched from a listed wave (1100lb port rear locker, 580lbs under port bench plus crew) and just couldn't get enough push in the wave. Now I'm running an 1100lb bag in each rear locker and a homemade suckgate and it made a huge difference. There's so much push now it's hard to slow down enough without getting right up on the swim platform. I just re-proped the boat because the Acme 537 that was on it was struggling to get to surf speeds without any bow weight but adding bow weight flatted out the wave and killed the push. Now that the Acme 1619 is on the boat (awesome prop btw) I'm going to play around with adding the 580 back into the mix but will likely start off with it in the center of the boat.  

arono    0
On 6/29/2017 at 11:28 PM, Steve leigh said:

Ran into a similar issue with mine but I replaced the Sideswipe with a FAE. One cup was higher because of the block off plate and I couldn't get the other cup to attach. Solved this by cutting off the handle so I had to individual cups and then reattached them together but with longer material in between each so I could get enough leverage to move and position the front cup to attach to the hull. 

TwistC3    7

I notice some of you say the vent is underwater some times, do you guys plug it, if so with what?  What about those deflectors that replace the vent covers?  Are these recommended?

Nick213    583
37 minutes ago, TwistC3 said:

I notice some of you say the vent is underwater some times, do you guys plug it, if so with what?  What about those deflectors that replace the vent covers?  Are these recommended?

I covered my port vent since we ride 90% of the time on the port side. I know the avy and Enzo vents are different but I think you should be able to use the same concept. I siliconed plastic to the vent and hull so no water can get in. My vent is fully submerged while underway, so if it wasn't fully covered we'd essentially be sinking and constantly taking on way to much water.

IMG_5042.JPG

Transporter    1

How low in the water are the backs of your boats when your all weighted down?let's see some pics.

Nick610s    2

So just a quick update, went out weekend before last, did not fill up the bow ballast bag 400#, still was able to ride port and stab with the nauticurl but did not have nearly as much push. total of 2350# ballast, I think I may fill up the last 400# and put it on top of the 650# bag by the back seat. thatll give me 2750 lbs total. hopefully sink it a bit more to get taller wave so I can go a touch faster and stretch out the pocket. sound like a good plan.?

TwistC3    7

I would not put anything in the bow, put as much weight on the side you plan to surf and to the back of the boat.

Nick610s    2
On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 9:15 PM, Transporter said:

How low in the water are the backs of your boats when your all weighted down?let's see some pics.

My teak board is 2-3" under water weighted down, apparently if you run listed, you want the back of the rub rail to be just under the water.

Nick610s    2
1 hour ago, TwistC3 said:

I would not put anything in the bow, put as much weight on the side you plan to surf and to the back of the boat.

Im not running listed, evenly weighted with a nauticurl, still new to surfing but as im getting more used to it im already noticing what the wave is doing with different ballast.

bomoseen avy    45

Finally tried Swell suckgate. New to me SV230+. Lake pretty rough so tired of being listed. As others have said both QF and rear lockers filled. PNP empty but leaded 240# in bow and about 240# each rear locker. Very impressed super long and clean. I will do this more often

GPTempDownload.jpg

nailem    29

Even with a suck gate you will still need to list it. Load up surf side, only put 250 give or take on the non surf side with the suck gate, no weight on the bow.

bomoseen avy    45

not that I'm doubting you but that's my set up for a listed wave. I was going off Cdifranco's SV setup

InfinitySurf    302

The SV230 may be a little different, but on my SV244....my wave gets longer for sure when I add weight to the bow (plus lowers rpm some, assuming cause angle of prop is better and it does not have to work quite as hard). I have 500lb bag in bow...plus add anywhere between 200-500lbs of lead in front depending on size of my crew. 700lbs in front seems to be the sweet spot for me to have a nice tall, long wave with tons of push. Course I have a lot of weight in rear and may be why my boat needs more bow weight. Rear is certainly MORE important....but since I have close to 4k lbs in rear, I need some in bow. Big boat, so takes more weight to sink it right. (I use Nauticurl suck gate so I do not list either)