xj1514

XJ's Official S238 thread...pictures

xj1514    13

Well here it is. After months of waiting I picked it up last night. I'm a little disappointed with the "glitter", it doesn't really catch the light as much as I was hoping, maybe when it's on the water it will refract light more. 

9B6620BF-0731-448B-9713-DD016F3721C2.jpg

Edited by xj1514

xj1514    13

So far for upgrades I've got 600 lbs of leadwake bags evenly distributed under the side seats towards the back. I had 1100 lb fly highs installed with locker reinforcements from Wakemakers. 

Going to put in the water today, break in the motor, and see if I can retime for fill and drain. 

I'll post pictures of the infamous pursuit of the perfect wave. 

Any tips for the engine break in?

NW Vettes    11

Nice colors and the metallic will sparkle more on the water. The engine break in will be a hot debate. Personally I take a couple hours is all driving around with out pulling or surfing changing the rpm's every so often and tend to not over rev during this time. I think the official break in hours they recommend is pretty high and way overboard. 

I have the 1100's too (timer set to around 8:30 minutes + can't remember) and 500 lbs of lead weight. Not impressed with wave with this set up yet with small crew so I'm going to install bags under the side benches now. 

I do recommend listing the boat some to get a cleaner pushy wave. Take time playing with the wave and write down settings you like. 

rrd525    40

We have a 2016, with 850's in the rear, along with 80 lbs of lead in the rear most corners. Another 50lbs of lead under each side seat against the partition. We fill the rear hard tanks, and probably 50 to 60% in the center tank. Typically only 3 or 4 of us out. Myself, wife and 2 teen boys. Our weights vary from 180 to 100lbs.

This year we have been playing with speeds from 11.4 to 11.8 depending on the board and rider. Last season we were more 10.4 to 11, with factory rear bags. We are going to play with the lower speeds next session out again.

Regular side is always phenomenal, goofy side we usually just drain the port hard tank a little to clean it up.

xj1514    13
2 hours ago, NW Vettes said:

Nice colors and the metallic will sparkle more on the water. The engine break in will be a hot debate. Personally I take a couple hours is all driving around with out pulling or surfing changing the rpm's every so often and tend to not over rev during this time. I think the official break in hours they recommend is pretty high and way overboard. 

I have the 1100's too (timer set to around 8:30 minutes + can't remember) and 500 lbs of lead weight. Not impressed with wave with this set up yet with small crew so I'm going to install bags under the side benches now. 

I do recommend listing the boat some to get a cleaner pushy wave. Take time playing with the wave and write down settings you like. 

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I tried to get side seat ballast but the sumo 250 is discontinued, so the only option I see is the bags from Wakemakers from their 238 system, but I'm not sure if they will sell it separately. 

Im a bit nervous with the wake, it seems to be hard to get dialed in. 

Engine break in is about what you said according to my dealer. A couple hours with basic ranges of rpm runs and that's about it. 

xj1514    13
16 minutes ago, rrd525 said:

We have a 2016, with 850's in the rear, along with 80 lbs of lead in the rear most corners. Another 50lbs of lead under each side seat against the partition. We fill the rear hard tanks, and probably 50 to 60% in the center tank. Typically only 3 or 4 of us out. Myself, wife and 2 teen boys. Our weights vary from 180 to 100lbs.

This year we have been playing with speeds from 11.4 to 11.8 depending on the board and rider. Last season we were more 10.4 to 11, with factory rear bags. We are going to play with the lower speeds next session out again.

Regular side is always phenomenal, goofy side we usually just drain the port hard tank a little to clean it up.

Maybe I'll have to learn to surf regular, or just ride the regular side goofy? 

NW Vettes    11
36 minutes ago, xj1514 said:

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I tried to get side seat ballast but the sumo 250 is discontinued, so the only option I see is the bags from Wakemakers from their 238 system, but I'm not sure if they will sell it separately. 

Im a bit nervous with the wake, it seems to be hard to get dialed in. 

Engine break in is about what you said according to my dealer. A couple hours with basic ranges of rpm runs and that's about it. 

These should fit. I'm going to measure tomorrow and order on Monday. Not sure why they charge so much for the upgrade kit because individually the bags and parts are much less even if the bags aren't these ones. 

https://www.wakemakers.com/universalfit-midship-ballast-bag.html

NorSask    16
8 hours ago, NW Vettes said:

Disappointed to hear that you aren't impressed with your set up. That's exactly what I am about to try out on days off, install my 1100's and 400 lbs of lead. Was really hoping this would be the ticket. I just completed my break in before I came back to work and am going to start trying to dial the wave in when I get home. Hope I can get it set up to the point we can enjoy the regular wave and do some surfing for a few days at the very least...then go from there.

8 hours ago, xj1514 said:

Well here it is. After months of waiting I picked it up last night. I'm a little disappointed with the "glitter", it doesn't really catch the light as much as I was hoping, maybe when it's on the water it will refract light more. 

9B6620BF-0731-448B-9713-DD016F3721C2.jpg

Great looking boat xj1514!!!

• Like 1

NW Vettes    11
11 minutes ago, NorSask said:

Disappointed to hear that you aren't impressed with your set up. That's exactly what I am about to try out on days off, install my 1100's and 400 lbs of lead. Was really hoping this would be the ticket. I just completed my break in before I came back to work and am going to start trying to dial the wave in when I get home. Hope I can get it set up to the point we can enjoy the regular wave and do some surfing for a few days at the very least...then go from there.

Great looking boat xj1514!!!

The wave is good but I have much higher hopes to dial it in better. The more weight the better on this big of boat

NorSask    16

Yah for sure. Can always be bigger and better haha. And yah these boats like their weight!  Do you mind sharing your setting that you have been using with the setup you are currently running?  Save me a little time getting to that point when I get home. Thanks!!

xj1514    13

Got a few hours on the boat today, I am not sure if it's the settings, not enough weight, I don't have the skill set, or I'm too heavy for my board, I can not go ropeless. 

I tried, what I feel is every combination on the settings. I've tried what members have posted on this forum, as well as experimented with my own. All I know is 70 is what the factory quick surf is for both sides, and that seems about as clean as it get for the wave. I tried listing it hard, all tanks empty on opposite side, and every increment from there. No weight in the bow, some and a lot. 

I have my 600 lbs of lead even right now in the side compartments stacked near the back. I'm going to put some of it under the 1100 sumo's and stack all the remaining on the surf side. 

I messed with full and drain times...

front pnp was way too full, pushed the seats up. 

For some reason the the starboard side (drivers side?) not sure on my lingo yet, is waaay slow to drain. The left side sucked flat in 7 min, and the right I had to keep hitting drain on the touch screen. Ive upped it to 9.5 min on the drain for the 1100's so will see. 

Got one speaker up front that goes in and out. Some gator step bubbling on my walk through, cup holders in rear need hose clamps, the 1100's are pushing them up. 

Found a lot of fiberglass under the mat, and in all compartments. 

Think that sums it up for now. 

Going out tomorrow, forgot to get vids or pics today. 

Do I want the wave crisp, or with some white wash? How do you get the pocket farther from the boat?

Cwazy1    89

never fill any bow or center ballast. 

xj1514    13
27 minutes ago, Cwazy1 said:

never fill any bow or center ballast. 

Really? Ok. I'll give er' a go. Thank you. 

Cwazy1    89

yup, and also adjust your quicksurf tab mounting point to be the furthest of the 3 holes from the boat. Put 200 of lead as far back in each locker as you can (literally against the back wall) and put 100 in each starboard/port bench seating- also as far back as you can. 

Then go about playing around with listing/settings. 

RhuntIII    555

Hey XJ check out this mod for cup holders.

xj1514    13
8 hours ago, Cwazy1 said:

yup, and also adjust your quicksurf tab mounting point to be the furthest of the 3 holes from the boat. Put 200 of lead as far back in each locker as you can (literally against the back wall) and put 100 in each starboard/port bench seating- also as far back as you can. 

Then go about playing around with listing/settings. 

Will do. Where do you run the the quicksurf, mine is about 70 to 85 for regular and goofy, even tried 100.

Also, the trim I have not really figured out yet. 100 for pulling out of the hole and then reduce to about 30, or am I all messed up? Couldn't really tell much on trim for cleaning up the wake  

Back to quick surf, any reason to have opposite surf tab down ever? It seems it just washes the wave out if I add any for the other side, so leave it at zero? 

xj1514    13
3 hours ago, RhuntIII said:

Hey XJ check out this mod for cup holders.

Is that a block of foam? I don't quite understand. Please enlighten me. I really don't want to lose a 86k $ cup holder lol. 

• Like 1

NW Vettes    11

First I've seen it too but the idea is to hollow out the foam where cup is and I'm guessing glue or Velcro maybe foam to underneath. This stops the bag from pushing up on the cup holder.