Cwazy1

Static from tower speakers when engine is off?

Cwazy1    89

My two pairs of REV8 tower speakers powered by a wetsounds syn-dx(4?) amp are outputting a lot of really loud static when I turn the key from off to accessory, or from off to electronics on. This never happens when I first turn on the boat and usually happens after we are surfing for a bit and are changing persons - at which time I turn off the engine and then flip the key to electronics on. I can make this go away by turning the rocker switch for stereo to off, starting the boat, putting it in idle, and then turning the rocker back on. At which point the stereo will have no issues. At the same time, this is maybe a 50% - 75% chance of it occurring.  

Since my head unit is paired with bluetooth, when I turn on the electronics, the amps power up, starts outputting static, and then the bluetooth says connected and starts playing my music as well. I can unpair bluetooth at this point or choose a different source, but it continues. I can also reboot the stereo through the rocker, but as long as the engine is off, it'll still be outputting lots of static. 

I would appreciate any feedback or help with this issue. I'm not very knowledgeable with audio, so I would appreciate it if it was explained to me like it was for a 12 year old lol. All the searching I've found online has been from static while the engine is on, not the other way around..

Thanks! 

Wylie_Tunes    146

First off, its not uncommon to have white noise through the speakers when streaming blue tooth, but no source paired or the source is paused. However, there are some things that can be checked/adjusted/rewired, that may reduce the white noise or static. Wet Sounds can be a great resource as well as your local retailer if not OEM installed. 

Cwazy1    89
5 hours ago, Wylie_Tunes said:

First off, its not uncommon to have white noise through the speakers when streaming blue tooth, but no source paired or the source is paused. However, there are some things that can be checked/adjusted/rewired, that may reduce the white noise or static. Wet Sounds can be a great resource as well as your local retailer if not OEM installed. 

Thanks for the response Wylie. I would not describe this as a normal amount of white noise or static, its insanely loud. When this occurs, the volume of the static is higher than the music. The volume of the static also does not change even when adjusting volume on the head unit. Only the music volume behind the static will change. 

I've had an older calabria that would output static when the engine was on. This is nothing like that. Its much louder and its not consistently on. 

I went through today and did a few things, all of which checked out

1. test voltage at battery terminals. all 12.4-12.5

2. test voltage at amp + and - terminals, also 12.3-12.4

3. adjusted my gain levels on the clarion head unit to as low as possible. amp does not have gain knobs. 

4. moved the RCA cable away from power cables

5. checked all the grounding connections, solid connections throughout. No loose bolts

Cwazy1    89

The biggest issue is that its not a consistently recurring issue. Thus making it difficult to troubleshoot.... 

Some of the things I need to test are 

1. running input as aux in and not bluetooth

seattlehd    9

Didn't you just get your boat this year Cwazy?  I have a similar problem on my 17 S238 and our dealership called me today and said it is a known issue with the Rev8/SYN-DX2 upgrade in the Supreme's and that the factory is working with Wet Sounds on a fix.  I think it might be a temperature issue with the amp as the problem was much worse when the ambient temp was 10 degrees warmer on Saturday.  That is just my uneducated guess.

Cwazy1    89

Yeah I've been talking to Brian about this for a little while now. Good to know you're one of the other few who have reported this to him 

I'm waiting on a resolution from factory now. 

DjOM21    59

I have the same problem on my 238. Will get the white noise after a little while listening to tunes. I pause the music and it is just static. I will be interested to see what the fix is

I also have a non functioning tower speaker.

Oh well, I will get he dealer to sort it at he 20/25 hour inspection if I don't get to annoyed first and drag it over there. Anyway, the stereo is great just need to get the bugs worked out.

NW Boat Sports    232

The amp is programmed at the factory or wet sounds. I gather from talking to a wet sounds rep that it's tuned at the factory. Anyway, my stereo guy says the gains on the tower speakers are programmed WAY too high, these providing the white noise and feedback you are hearing. It's a know problem. They are well aware now. 

Edited by NW Boat Sports

Wylie_Tunes    146

With the new DSP amps, the amp's tune was developed by Wet Sounds, for each model, and for each audio option. For example, the amp tune for a system with just in boats, would be a little different then a system with a sub. An amp tune with a single pair of tower speakers will be different then the same amp driving two pair of tower speakers. The tune is provided to the boat manufacturer in a digital format to be uploaded to each amp, based on the system. 

It could be that the tune needs tweaked. Could be that something at the factory changed in production, prior to the original tune being developed. Could be a case of the wrong tune for that application, being uploaded. 

• Like 1

I also am curious as to a fix to the problem. We recently bought a 2017 s238 and the static from the tower speakers are   obnoxious. Can't even listen to the radio at low volume while sitting for a rest. 

NW Boat Sports    232

King, you gotta turn the music up...lol... In all seriousness, it's a known problem as soon as there is a fix we will let you know...!

• Like 1

Cwazy1    89

Yeah we're all still waiting for a fix.. last I heard it was suppose to be some resistor.. :shrugs:

In the mean time, either turn stereo off when chillin, or disconnect tower speakers from battery and just run the cabin. 

Edited by Cwazy1

Cwazy1    89

The solution should be arriving at your local dealers now. Its a little dongle that plugs into each amp. Will be grabbing mine and testing it out tomorrow afternoon. Standby! 

Cwazy1    89

The resistor fix from factory was not successful. It did not resolve the static 

NW Boat Sports    232
7 hours ago, Cwazy1 said:

The resistor fix from factory was not successful. It did not resolve the static 

I talked to Brian about this today. Bummer...

DjOM21    59

Would be nice if this could get sorted. Sucks not to be able to enjoy this stereo. 

Cwazy1    89
5 hours ago, DjOM21 said:

Would be nice if this could get sorted. Sucks not to be able to enjoy this stereo. 

Yeah.. I've started to just turn off the stereo when not running the engine. 

DjOM21    59

Any update on this? 

Supreme sent my dealer a little dongle with a resistor on it. Yet to install and  may not even hassle with it if its the same part that did not fix the problem for Cwazy1.

Cwazy1    89
1 hour ago, DjOM21 said:

Any update on this? 

Supreme sent my dealer a little dongle with a resistor on it. Yet to install and  may not even hassle with it if its the same part that did not fix the problem for Cwazy1.

The dongle helped a little bit, I was going from a failure (loud static occurring) of nearly 100% down to about 75% when amp is warmed up and switched from engine on->off->accessory on. 

Since giving the dongle a try and reporting back that it was not an adequate fix, my dealer has been in contact with Wetsounds and they have sent a few 'reprogrammed' amps. The first one was actually a dud and died after a minute of running (considered this as a fluke), must have been dropped in shipping. The second one has been good so far. I got it installed last Friday and got to run it once on Saturday while floating around (ran it for ~1hour then switched it on and off a few times between engine on and engine off). I still need to put it through the full cycles of use during surfing to give a full assessment of whether its fixed or not. This includes an 'engine off, accessory on' period between each rider's set.