Brandon161

Weighting the 238.... Just a thought

Brandon161    26

I have a 2016 238.  However, I bought it in September last year. So I only took it out a few times. I haven't been out yet this year. So here is my thought / question.  We all seem to be loading the boats full of weight but it mostly in the back and some under the side seats.  Everyone knows these are huge boats and from what I understand you have to basically sink it to get the wave right.  But has anyone tried to evenly weight the boat from the front to the back so the whole boat goes down in the water evenly?  I haven't.  I am just curious if that would work better?  I have no idea. Just throwing it out there. Curious on people's thoughts.

h20king    794

Yep  tried everything when you fill the bow sack and get to much weight up front it knocks down wake height and takes away push from the wake.  But hey go try for yourself  that is half the fun 

• Like 1

Yup, if you are loaded a lot in the back you want to have the center and front full. If you have them empty, the engine works harder, you can't see over the windshield, the boat is generally more irritating to drive, and the wave won't stay as clean. I tried it both ways many of times.

Brandon161    26

How do you like to weight your boat race city marine?

MFaso    56

I'm new to all of this but I am knee deep in trial and error mode. I've tried a ton of suggestions from this forum and from facebook groups, and from my dealer. I've been in contact with a bunch of people in private conversations who really seem to know the boat as well.

The bow bag should be empty. It's more for the wake boarding wake. I found filling it depletes the wave AND causes rollers to swamp the front of the boat at low speeds...lol(getting everyone's shoes wet since I keep them up there. ;)

I have also found that it doesn't really ride nose high with all the weight in the back. the center tank helps a little but there are a bunch not using it often and when using it, only filling it 50% or less.

Like I said, I'm a total newbie but since I am so new, I've been asking more questions than these seasoned guys to EVERYONE and I've never had anyone tell me to fill the bow bag. Everyone says leave it empty and if people are sitting up there, get them in the back of the boat. :) Getting the wake right is definitely a science. Playing with it is growing on me but I wish it were simpler because I care about surfing more than playing with settings as of now.

Good luck!

NW Vettes    11
21 hours ago, MFaso said:

I'm new to all of this but I am knee deep in trial and error mode. I've tried a ton of suggestions from this forum and from facebook groups, and from my dealer. I've been in contact with a bunch of people in private conversations who really seem to know the boat as well.

The bow bag should be empty. It's more for the wake boarding wake. I found filling it depletes the wave AND causes rollers to swamp the front of the boat at low speeds...lol(getting everyone's shoes wet since I keep them up there. ;)

I have also found that it doesn't really ride nose high with all the weight in the back. the center tank helps a little but there are a bunch not using it often and when using it, only filling it 50% or less.

Like I said, I'm a total newbie but since I am so new, I've been asking more questions than these seasoned guys to EVERYONE and I've never had anyone tell me to fill the bow bag. Everyone says leave it empty and if people are sitting up there, get them in the back of the boat. :) Getting the wake right is definitely a science. Playing with it is growing on me but I wish it were simpler because I care about surfing more than playing with settings as of now.

Good luck!

I'm far from dialing in mine but I filled bows to 85% and had a great sized wave. Gave me enough push to let go once I got used to the new board. I didn't last long since I'm new to surfing...everyone but me gets to surf lol. Anyhow I listed the heavily at first and boy was the wave awesome but no way was it comfortable riding in boat all day like that.

port pnp 100%  

qf port 100%

qf starboard 100%

Starboard pnp 20%

center trim 50%

starboard QS 70%

85% bows

200# lead in each back locker plus 100 in port seat bench.

These are not ideal settings at all and nor did I play around at all to clean it up much. I'm going to reduce trim and QS next time and list boat a little more. Probably reduce the bow some too. 

Also to prevent rollers coming over now. As soon as surfer goes down, I go straight to neutral and let rollers go by. I say this but I was impatient, didn't wait, and had a roller come over now yesterday.

awhillia    3

Has anyone tried any of the suck gate devices to see how they work on an evenly weighted boat. Just curious more than anything. 

The regular side wake is pretty legit. Goofy side leaves a bit to be desired 

Brandon161    26

I haven't tried the gate.  However sticking pooh to my expensive Supreme bothers me.  Shouldn't need that crap for a "surf" boat.   I completely agree with you about the wave needing work.  I am still trying to find the perfect combo.  And of course I am regular foot and most of my crew is goofy

MFaso    56

I should add that I have the wakemakers upgrade so I have midship bags that keep the boat a little more level than JUST having everything in the rear of the boat. I could see needing the center tank if you have no midship bags to keep the bow down a little.

h20king    794
15 hours ago, Brandon161 said:

I haven't tried the gate.  However sticking pooh to my expensive Supreme bothers me.  Shouldn't need that crap for a "surf" boat.   I completely agree with you about the wave needing work.  I am still trying to find the perfect combo.  And of course I am regular foot and most of my crew is goofy

If you ever make it up to Portland give me a shout and we will take you out and show you how it's done I have both sides dialed 

Carter13    69
6 hours ago, h20king said:

If you ever make it up to Portland give me a shout and we will take you out and show you how it's done I have both sides dialed 

Brandon,

Now that is an offer you should not pass up. Harold knows how to set up his boats and you will burn more fuel on yours to try and dial it in than it would take for you to drive up and let him show you. Central Oregon is a hop, skip, jump to Portland.

Totally dig Central Oregon as we have vacation property in Deschutes County. 

Brandon161    26

Yes I have spoke to Harold.  However I am in southern Oregon.  So he is about 5 hrs from.  I may run into him at Shasta lake since that is where I will be all summer :-)

• Like 1