Chexi    35

Anyone try hydrofoiling with one?  On my old Super Air 210 (original hull), my FAE would create a dead pocket between the wakes (even 70' back).  I had to take it off.  I was a big supporter of FAE (that was my second boat I installed one on), but as foiling is my main and surf my alt, I could not deal with being sucked down within the wakes every time I crossed that magic spot.  I would love to add one to my Centurion, but not if I am going to have the same problem.  The FAE was really easy to take on and off on my SAN, but it sounds like that is not really an option on the SV233.

rrd525    40
On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 9:19 PM, DarksideR said:

So far, it's totally sturdy and showing no signs of loosening or anything. I'm going to email Larry and see if we can come up with a better solution. But for now, my mini beaver tail mudflap is doing the trick. Just looks ridiculous. 

Darksider was FAE able to create a solution for you?
My wife has asked me to look into putting an FAE on for this summer and I'm not too keen on it if it is not 100%. That, and with the double edge sword trim tab it will stick out a ways.
Really wish we could buy the RI stinger exhaust plate and tubing. Don't see why that setup wouldn't work. I would gladly pay a few more dollars to Fineline for that setup.  maybe it is as easy as buying the rubber exhaust tube from Fineline, and then fabricating a plate.

h20king    794

You can order the trim plate from your dealer it's 700$+ and make it work if you have the right exhaust tip on your boat 

rrd525    40
1 hour ago, h20king said:

You can order the trim plate from your dealer it's 700$+ and make it work if you have the right exhaust tip on your boat 

Would it have been a direct fit on your '16?
I came across this DIY design that was done on Wake Garage. Trim plate and FAE in one. Keeps the back end much cleaner.

untitled6.png

• Like 1

RhuntIII    555

Wow 525, pretty cool idea. Wonder how it's working?

rrd525    40

FAE has a new through plate design for those of us with boats with the long stinger plate. You send your plate to them, they cut a hole and ship it back.  Our issue is the boat is in storage until May. We would like to have the setup in hand by mid April.
Does anyone know what Fineline would charge for a new Stinger Plate?  I still think the Centurion Silent Stinger would work well.
If I order or fabricate my own stinger plate, is it worth adding the side wings on a 2016 S238, or it is completely unnecessary on this year?

5a78a18fbe30f_StingerPlatew-FAE(2)midposition.jpg.3e511039641867ff1530138d572be217.jpg 

• Like 1

gravity12    83

Thats what want to build. Where id you find that picture? Do you have any others? Different angles? 

rrd525    40
1 hour ago, gravity12 said:

Thats what want to build. Where id you find that picture? Do you have any others? Different angles? 

They sent me 2 other pics from the same angle. They just show the stinger in different positions. I can post them later.

gravity12    83

Thanks. My concern was water would spray up through the gap. But i would imagine this design would do away with the spray issue people where having. 

stoked    1,039
8 hours ago, gravity12 said:

Thanks. My concern was water would spray up through the gap. But i would imagine this design would do away with the spray issue people where having. 

Exactly my concern as well. There has to be enough of a gap to accommodate all of the angles, allowing lots of room for spray at all speeds

rrd525    40

5a79cddf3cb1c_StingerPlatew-FAE(1)upposition.jpg.4f99cd48a3b03556b4f62e252754ccb4.jpg5a79cde1b96c0_StingerPlatew-FAE(2)midposition.jpg.b16bcb9bc695514de3c5c37a614e0243.jpg5a79cddcd7db3_StingerPlatew-FAE(3)lowestposition.jpg.1076316b5a995ecf695d05c8571a5abd.jpg

All FAE provided pics with a Stinger.  Don't wan't to drop Canadian pesos if it will spray and wreck the wave.  Some action video from above and behind would be ideal.

gravity12    83

That info would be great. And a picture of the hole size. Can't imagine someone with the skill set to take the plate off not being able to cut there own hole. 

rrd525    40
On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:56 AM, h20king said:

h20king, now that you have your Fi in hand, do you think the Silent Stinger would have been a direct bolt on to your S238?
Will the shape of the Silent Stinger with the additional wings and small turndowns affect the wave, or offer improvement?
My assumption is you need to ensure the Lenco Ram ears are located at the same point on the Silent Stinger to keep the plate travel the same, then the new Stainless Band clamps for the rubber outlet hose will clamp on the existing Exhaust hull Outlet.  The hinge shape and bolt pattern seems the same, but I am judging all this from photos.

h20king    794

Yep think it would be as bolt on as a bolt on comes. It would take some modification but not much. The key to it working is the exhaust tip. If you have a tip that is long enough for the hose to clamp to you should be good. I could have made it work on our 16 238 for sure.  As for what it would do to the wake one could only speculate 

rrd525    40
48 minutes ago, h20king said:

Yep think it would be as bolt on as a bolt on comes. It would take some modification but not much. The key to it working is the exhaust tip. If you have a tip that is long enough for the hose to clamp to you should be good. I could have made it work on our 16 238 for sure.  As for what it would do to the wake one could only speculate 

Thank you for the speedy reply. I think I will try and order a setup if they aren't too outrageous.

Jake707    171

Anything is bolt on with a BFH, although not always recommended haha

DarksideR    1,679
On 1/5/2018 at 10:28 AM, rrd525 said:

Darksider was FAE able to create a solution for you?
My wife has asked me to look into putting an FAE on for this summer and I'm not too keen on it if it is not 100%. That, and with the double edge sword trim tab it will stick out a ways.
Really wish we could buy the RI stinger exhaust plate and tubing. Don't see why that setup wouldn't work. I would gladly pay a few more dollars to Fineline for that setup.  maybe it is as easy as buying the rubber exhaust tube from Fineline, and then fabricating a plate.

Hey! Sorry for the late reply. Been busy with the board company and haven't had alot of time to check with the Crew. I had talked to Larry sometime in the middle of the summer about making me a new FAE. Then about a month later I sent him another email asking if it was being made and if I needed to ship the original back first... no response. Another two weeks later I emailed again... no response. So, I do not endorse his product and now I have to resort to having a machine shop hack it up to try to make it work myself. The mudflap thing I strapped to it does the trick, but looks god awful, so I'm trying to do away with that.

On another note. The silent stinger does an ok job at reducing fumes and noise, but the way they have it allowing exhaust to exit the trailing edge of the plate kinda defeats the purpose. On really cold days we still get the "white cloud" coming at you on my buddies Ri and Fi's.

cheers fellas!

rrd525    40
6 minutes ago, DarksideR said:

Hey! Sorry for the late reply. Been busy with the board company and haven't had alot of time to check with the Crew. I had talked to Larry sometime in the middle of the summer about making me a new FAE. Then about a month later I sent him another email asking if it was being made and if I needed to ship the original back first... no response. Another two weeks later I emailed again... no response. So, I do not endorse his product and now I have to resort to having a machine shop hack it up to try to make it work myself. The mudflap thing I strapped to it does the trick, but looks god awful, so I'm trying to do away with that.

On another note. The silent stinger does an ok job at reducing fumes and noise, but the way they have it allowing exhaust to exit the trailing edge of the plate kinda defeats the purpose. On really cold days we still get the "white cloud" coming at you on my buddies Ri and Fi's.

cheers fellas!

Thank you for the honest feedback DarksideR.  Maybe I should see Tony, and grab some measurements on an Fi or RI and see if I could make my own Silencer. Just purchase the rubber tubing and clamps then fabricate a Stainless or Aluminum plate with a tapered thru pipe.
Can't wait to get the boat out of storage.

DarksideR    1,679
12 minutes ago, rrd525 said:

Thank you for the honest feedback DarksideR.  Maybe I should see Tony, and grab some measurements on an Fi or RI and see if I could make my own Silencer. Just purchase the rubber tubing and clamps then fabricate a Stainless or Aluminum plate with a tapered thru pipe.
Can't wait to get the boat out of storage.

Not a bad idea!

InfinitySurf    302

Larry was supposed to make a flap on my FAE this Spring as well to reduce the spray at surf speeds. He responded pretty quick last year, but has not responded to 2 emails I sent him since Feb since that is when he told me to get back to him about it. Assume he is either really busy with his contracts, or does not care about the small customer service stuff. Hopefully he will respond, would suck if he leaves me hanging since I love the FAE benefits, but the spray is annoying.

I am pretty sure it happens on the Centurion cause of the deep V. When surfing, I can look down and see how basically an air pocket forms just behind the V and where the water rushes together and meets is where the tip of the FAE is and at surf speeds it will create some spray. I can get it to go away or not hit me by messing with trim plate, but should not have to do that.