DarksideR    1,679
On 2017-05-12 at 7:43 AM, Dandy said:

I have attached a page out of the instruction manual that mentions the final measurement and how they want it between 1.5-2.5".  You may have to adjust your mounting brackets to push it further down, if your tabs will allow and so it doesn't drop below level as noted.  I believe these are the general instructions for all boats, but maybe yours was sent with a different set of instructions.  Mine was a final distance of 4".  To get it to the 2.5" mark, it was over a full bubble off level.  Larry and his team have been great - they provided a return shipping label to send the old one back and are manufacturing a new one for us.  We are just lucky that we do not intend to drop our boat in the water until at least memorial day weekend and the final install should be quick now.  You may need to make some adjustments or send them some pictures and suggestions to get it dropped 1/2" lower.5915c8c8a6cc2_FAEFinalMeasurementPage.thumb.JPG.b800facfe29d7bc7015de37a8f0cb65a.JPG

There is pretty much zero adjustability in the solid single port exhaust FAE for this. The only adjustment you can make is angle side to side. I'm currently waiting for them to send me a "spray diverter plate" that attaches to the downtube. Similar to what Nautique uses. Will see if that helps with my spray issue.

Dreamer    96

I couldn't modify the shape of the down tube enough to make a difference on my single outlet exhaust so ended up adding a flap to knock down the spray. I still think that sloping the down tube back more would make a difference. That's how it was on my last two boats. On my current Enzo it basically slopes forward once the bow goes up which does not improve hydrodynamics.

DarksideR    1,679
On May 15, 2017 at 3:49 PM, Dreamer said:

I couldn't modify the shape of the down tube enough to make a difference on my single outlet exhaust so ended up adding a flap to knock down the spray. I still think that sloping the down tube back more would make a difference. That's how it was on my last two boats. On my current Enzo it basically slopes forward once the bow goes up which does not improve hydrodynamics.

Agreed. I mentioned that and the fact it seems to be too short to Larry through email and got no reply. I may have to get it modified by a fabricator myself. Shouldn't have to do this. They used to ask for some measurements before making  them, but I was never asked. I assumed that they had it all figured out... Lesson learned. Gotta get it sorted out quick. Summer's here... ok, not quite. But soon?

Dandy    43

Dark, FAE is currently slammed, so their response time has been a bit delayed which you have to expect with a very seasonal business as they can only have so many knowledgeable staff.  Did you do a custom welded or the multi piece unit?  If it was a single piece welded, I also thought they would ask for measurements.  

We had some issues with ours and when I believed their were issues, I took some photos and did a write up and sent it in for them to review.  This provided them with photos and measurements and also verified that the measurements I had originally sent in were correct.  When they got back to me, they had already determined that there was nothing I had done incorrectly and that they would need to repair or re-manufacture it for us.  Christina sent a return shipping tag to have it sent back.  In our case, for what ever the reason, our down pipe was cut at the wrong length and didn't match up to the cut list for our part.  Mistakes happen, just happy that I wasn't waiting to install it the first weekend we were dropping the boat in.  

Our boat is currently waiting on the part to arrive.  Seeing as how we have everything installed, we can't put it in the water due to the open exhaust ports now.  I was up front with when we thought we would drop her in the water and assume that FAE will get us parts in time.  

gravity12    83
On 5/15/2017 at 3:49 PM, Dreamer said:

Do you have any pics of this flap? 

Dreamer    96
12 hours ago, gravity12 said:

Do you have any pics of this flap? 

I'll see if I can post some pictures up this weekend. They might already be on the site here somewhere too.

Dreamer    96

here the post with pictures of my flap 

DarksideR    1,679

My version of the Duffy mudflap. Works like a hot damn. Just hope it's not adding too much stress on the hull/FAE connection. It's a heavy rubber stair tread that has a fair bit of flex to it so it works really well. 

The third pic is the deflector that Larry sent me to try. There's two issues with it. One, it has to be mounted too high so that the trim tab doesn't hit it. And Two, it's a horrible shin basher when getting back into the boat. We had two casualties the other day even though I warned everyone before hand. 

image.png

image.png

image.jpeg

gravity12    83

Nice.  I wont hang some big tush flap off the back of mine.  But the small one around the tube might be ok if it works. 

InfinitySurf    302

Darkside...how long have you had the FAE mounted and working? Did you put thru-bolts thru the exhaust plate where it connects....and have you had any issues with it (flange) pulling loose when running at higher speeds (like 25-30mph)? Another member with SV244 had issue with it "shearing" the thru-bolts where it connects to the exhaust 2 different times at wakeboarding speeds, I had taken mine back off since dealer was replacing my transom drain assembly...and its kindof made me a little nervous to put it back on after seeing a couple of his issues. Cant tell from picture...is the square tube mounted around the drain plug assembly, or does it go into the trim tab screw holes? (mine was designed to secure to drain assembly screws which is why I had to temporarily remove it while dealer did that work and he has been slammed so had not happened yet).

I emailed Larry about it cause I know they are great at customer service and will take care of any issues...just curious if you have had any of those issues. Thanks for the info

CO Surfer    289

It's kind of too bad FAE still hasn't figured out all of these issues yet.  

I know there were concerns with both of these issues when the discount deal was going on.  I'd like to get one but would really like them to get them to work correctly before buying one. 

DarksideR    1,679
3 hours ago, InfinitySurf said:

Darkside...how long have you had the FAE mounted and working? Did you put thru-bolts thru the exhaust plate where it connects....and have you had any issues with it (flange) pulling loose when running at higher speeds (like 25-30mph)? Another member with SV244 had issue with it "shearing" the thru-bolts where it connects to the exhaust 2 different times at wakeboarding speeds, I had taken mine back off since dealer was replacing my transom drain assembly...and its kindof made me a little nervous to put it back on after seeing a couple of his issues. Cant tell from picture...is the square tube mounted around the drain plug assembly, or does it go into the trim tab screw holes? (mine was designed to secure to drain assembly screws which is why I had to temporarily remove it while dealer did that work and he has been slammed so had not happened yet).

I emailed Larry about it cause I know they are great at customer service and will take care of any issues...just curious if you have had any of those issues. Thanks for the info

So. I've had it on for a while but have only used the boat maybe 5-6 times. We mostly surf... actually, all we do is surf! So there's limited time that I'm doing any more than 17MPH.

I did NOT through bolt it because it would have required a contortion artist to get into position to thread on the nuts inside the engine compartment. I DID however drill the holes out a bit and used larger diameter lag type screws to secure it to the boat. Along with some silicone sealant. 

You can kinda see the brace in the bottom pic. It's a square tube that's bolted to a bracket at the drain hole. 

So far, it's totally sturdy and showing no signs of loosening or anything. I'm going to email Larry and see if we can come up with a better solution. But for now, my mini beaver tail mudflap is doing the trick. Just looks ridiculous. 

• Like 1

stoked    1,039
On 7/4/2017 at 0:19 AM, DarksideR said:

I did NOT through bolt it because it would have required a contortion artist to get into position to thread on the nuts inside the engine compartment. I DID however drill the holes out a bit and used larger diameter lag type screws to secure it to the boat. Along with some silicone sealant. 

You have no idea!! It was the most ridiculous thing I've had to do yet. Not only do you have to be a contortionist, you also have to move the clamps for the exhaust on the inside, otherwise you won't have enough clearance for the bolts. 

However once completed, well worth the piece of mind

I'd also like to toss in that the screw holes for the old plastic exhaust were leaking on the inside of my boat. I had filled them with silicon, but I guess it gave up after a while. Refilled with 5200 and we're water-tight again! Probably smart you left yours in

Bongo Fury    640
On July 3, 2017 at 6:11 PM, CO Surfer said:

It's kind of too bad FAE still hasn't figured out all of these issues yet.  

I know there were concerns with both of these issues when the discount deal was going on.  I'd like to get one but would really like them to get them to work correctly before buying one. 

I loved my FAE on my Falcon V and felt it was the best mod I did on the boat.....I just am a little afraid of the issues now and agree with CO 100%.....I hope to have Hillside put one on for my next season.....we will see!

Ramzety    1

classifieds-1279-0-54463500-1331926101.jpgpost-1279-1284088715_thumb.jpg

gravity12    83
14 minutes ago, Ramzety said:

classifieds-1279-0-54463500-1331926101.jpgpost-1279-1284088715_thumb.jpg

Can you please take some pictures of your wake at 18-24mph. Mine is routed just like yours and it washes out my wakeboard wake.  I might have to take it off till winter because i wakeboard 75% of the time.  Thanks for the help. 

Ramzety    1

I have since upgraded to an adjustable trim tab so ill update the photo and get some pics this weekend at Wakeboard speeds. 

gravity12    83

Cool.  Did it wash out the wake with the manual tab? Or can you put the tab straight out for the pics? Thanks again

Mrdeerwood    26
On 5/9/2017 at 9:18 AM, stoked said:

Roughly mid prop:

post-4405-14585964865924_thumb.jpg

Is that on your FS? Been debating getting one for my 33... did you notice a big difference? 

stoked    1,039
2 hours ago, Mrdeerwood said:

Is that on your FS? Been debating getting one for my 33... did you notice a big difference? 

Yup! Noticed a HUGE difference! The exhaust was really really bad before putting it on, way better now. Also pulled our first wakeboarding since putting it on last year, no spray made it to the boarder.