Sign in to follow this  
arono

Not enough push in Surfwave....need suggestions

arono    0

The boat is an 06 SV230 with 1100lb bag in the port rear locker and 580lb bag under the seat on the port side both were completely full and there was an addition 215lb human ballast on the port side. The sweetspot seems to be right behind the boat and not very forgiving. Comparing my wave to an FX-22 I surfed last year the FX-22 wave had more push further back but I don't know how it was weighted.

WakeMakers suggested putting in another 1100lb bag on the starboard side, using a wake shaping device and possibly putting the 580lb bag in the bow. I'm not really sure what the best option is but I know this boat can make killer wave once I get it right. 

Any suggestions?

Link to video: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByZ8SLtfN_JNSjVxZnFDT2lfTlk

stoked    1,039
44 minutes ago, arono said:

The boat is an 06 SV230 with 1100lb bag in the port rear locker and 580lb bag under the seat on the port side both were completely full and there was an addition 215lb human ballast on the port side. The sweetspot seems to be right behind the boat and not very forgiving. Comparing my wave to an FX-22 I surfed last year the FX-22 wave had more push further back but I don't know how it was weighted.

WakeMakers suggested putting in another 1100lb bag on the starboard side, using a wake shaping device and possibly putting the 580lb bag in the bow. I'm not really sure what the best option is but I know this boat can make killer wave once I get it right. 

Any suggestions?

Link to video: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByZ8SLtfN_JNSjVxZnFDT2lfTlk

What was your speed? Looks pretty fast

• Like 1

Gollas108    9

i was having the same issue with my boat as well i was running 1100 in port locker 250 in center 250 under seat- port 250 ontop of seat 450 in ski locker and it was punting up a nice wake for me about 9-10.2 mph but just not long enuf could lose sweet spot very easy im 6ft.5 195lbs soo big guy so i bought Ronix Wakesurf Shaper and now i run both rear lockers full 1100 in each and 250 in center and will have one or 2 people sit up front or i will throw a 250 up front but not needed and before i had to stay right behind the boat now i can get a good 6ft back or more and keep it i had to lean how to have the brake on all the time bec there is soo much push all the time it made the sweet spot amazing and it was by far the best investment ive ever spent on my boat and nice i have way more seating room and not haft to lean the boat to one side when im done empty tanks and im done no more moveing bags around or anything GO with the Sharper you wont regret it all all 

Top pic is at 11.5mph way too fast for me to surf 

bottom pic is at 9.5 mph its way taller longer and clean my wife is about 115 lbs and she can get back a good 7-10 feet about 10.5mph  hope this helps

unnamed (7).jpg

arono    0
17 minutes ago, stoked said:

What was your speed? Looks pretty fast

11.2 on the perfect pass but I'm not sure how accurate that is

Jake707    171

I would try adding more bow weight. It will shrink the height of the wave a bit but also push it back from the boat.

Gollas108    9
2 minutes ago, Jake707 said:

I would try adding more bow weight. It will shrink the height of the wave a bit but also push it back from the boat.

your speed looks way to fast download a speed app on your phone and check it that way 

unnamed (7).jpg

arono    0
8 minutes ago, Gollas108 said:

i was having the same issue with my boat as well i was running 1100 in port locker 250 in center 250 under seat- port 250 ontop of seat 450 in ski locker and it was punting up a nice wake for me about 9-10.2 mph but just not long enuf could lose sweet spot very easy im 6ft.5 195lbs soo big guy so i bought Ronix Wakesurf Shaper and now i run both rear lockers full 1100 in each and 250 in center and will have one or 2 people sit up front or i will throw a 250 up front but not needed and before i had to stay right behind the boat now i can get a good 6ft back or more and keep it i had to lean how to have the brake on all the time bec there is soo much push all the time it made the sweet spot amazing and it was by far the best investment ive ever spent on my boat and nice i have way more seating room and not haft to lean the boat to one side when im done empty tanks and im done no more moveing bags around or anything GO with the Sharper you wont regret it all all 

Top pic is at 11.5mph way too fast for me to surf 

bottom pic is at 9.5 mph its way taller longer and clean my wife is about 115 lbs and she can get back a good 7-10 feet about 10.5mph  hope this helps

unnamed (7).jpg

Great info; thanks for the feedback! There's a big difference in the wave between those photos.

Gollas108    9
5 minutes ago, Jake707 said:

thank you like i said i would get a surf gate system if you hate it send it back but you will be amazed how much better it is thats why all the new boats are going to it its a better setup

unnamed (7).jpg

h20king    794

I disagree I have a factory surf system and don't use it. My advice is work on the  basics of surfing. If you are just standing there expecting the wave to push you  work on progression. 9.5 mph is way to slow most of us ride between  11 and 11.5 mph. The Enzo should put out a awesome wave with the setup you have  just sounds like you have not learned how to utilize it yet. 

• Like 3

Jake707    171

Or just blame it on the board. I did for the first season I was learning.  My wife and friend could ride it no problem without the rope but my big tush was struggling on the small hyperlite skim style board that came with the boat.  After the first season I was able to ride ropeless but Im still not really able to carve like I want or even ride that long before eventually washing out the back.

257Tsunami    50

In my experience (on my Malibu so it may not count here), adding bow weight lengthened the wave big time, but I did lose push if I added too much. If I were you I would start adding some bow weight and reduce your speed. If you are wanting to use a surf device, I'd recommend just making your own suck gate. Run that with a slight list. Play with those to find your happy medium. I'm new to Centurion. I haven't had a chance to play with the new 257 yet. So my advice may not apply to the Centurion. But it worked great with my Malibu. I found we were going faster to try to lengthen the wave which started to lack push. By adding the bow weight, we lengthened the wavr and started having a lot more usable area. By slowing down we put more push into the wave. We could only slow down so much obviously. The suck gate worked awesome. It allowed us to surf level which amounted to being able to run a ton more weight. I still ran a slight list. Careful though, as all of this added weight will probably send you shopping for a new prop.

Rhale    80

Same boat/year as yours and I fill my enzo sac till the rub rail touches the water.  Ours is taller and about the same length as yours from what I can see in the video.  I still notice the push is not super strong and have to really work to keep up with the boat. Lol, I've blamed boards and changed to little success, this year I'm trying a suck gate to see if it'll help

h20king    794
1 hour ago, Rhale said:

Same boat/year as yours and I fill my enzo sac till the rub rail touches the water.  Ours is taller and about the same length as yours from what I can see in the video.  I still notice the push is not super strong and have to really work to keep up with the boat. Lol, I've blamed boards and changed to little success, this year I'm trying a suck gate to see if it'll help

You guy's should be starting help me surf  threads  instead of blaming  the Enzo.  It's wake has tons of push as is  with just ballast.  Post up some video  and we can give you some pointers.  Does  not matter how you set  up the boat if you don't have the correct fundamentals down your results will be the same. 

• Like 2

carguy79ta    67

a note from one who knows...it is easier to learn to surf on the biggest wave you can generate.  also a big board helps.  when I decided to sink my Axis with 4k ballast and got a larger board..It seemed to shorten the learning curve.  once I was able to go ropeless I was then able to surf smaller boards that I previously couldn't.  losing weight also helps. alot.

• Like 2

nailem    29

I have a 05' Enzo. Basically the same boat. I have 1100 in rear locker and 650 under bench but only fills so about 500. I would check your speed with your phone. My PP had been way off and is usually be off after I disconnect and reconnect my batteries for the winter.

I run my center trim plate around 25-50% depending on how steep I want it and run between 11.2-11.5. Plenty of push and wave and is better than most pre 2012 boats.  

My run rail corner is an inch or so under the water. 

• Like 1

Dreamer    96

My previous boat was on 07 SV230 and we have an amazing port side wake. We pulled the tank that was under the seat behind the driver and replaced it with a 400# sac. A few hundred pounds of lead between the two port sacs or a couple people sitting in that corner helps. We had gps PP so speed was 11.5 mph for steep wake and 11.2 for a little softer. Wakeplate around 25%. The only time we used ballast in the bow was when there were lots of passenger in the back.

Bongo Fury    640

My 233 (same hull as 230) has a wicked wave.  We run both quick fills full, port pro full, port plug and play full and an extra 400 or so on port side.  We are listed and at rub rail.   We almost never run bow ballast.  Speed is right around 11.  I have pictures on this site if you care to search for them.  A good board does make a huge difference too but you should have no issues at all at 195lbs.  My boys ride way back there....not really sure how many towel lengths that is........I'm heavy and stay closer to the boat but still have a nice pocket to ride in.

Edited by Bongo Fury
  • Like 2

bluesman280    99

Like Bongo, I'm running the SV 233. Same hull, just the cabin area has been pushed forward a foot making the bow area is a little smaller. That alone seems to change the factor on bow weight. 

500 lb quick fill full on both sides, 750 in rear port locker, 650 under port seat. No bow ballast. I'm 245# and no issues surfing. Usually to people on the port side. At my weight, a proper board is key. Currently using a phase 5 trident or Drew. 

We have also started adding lead and currently have 90 lbs a side in the back corner of each rear locker. Took a great wave to new heights.

The biggest factor for me in the whole surfing game was getting behind a dialed in boat to figure out what the wave was supposed to feel like, what it was supposed to look like, and how I was supposed to be positioned on the board. 

That helped me tremendously early on. Thanks goes out to Islander for the day on the water.

Because of that, I would happily invite anyone in the Edmonton area that is having trouble to join us out on the water anytime, or get in touch with me and I can try and join you to help you get your boat sorted out.

Once you get up surfing, while you are still holding the rope, fall back as far as you can in the wave, then start playing with your speed, you will find that happy speed where the wave all of a sudden takes over.

Also remember, front foot placement on the board plays a huge factor. If your back leg is getting tired, odds are your front foot should be further forward.

Have a great surfs up summer.

• Like 1

arono    0
On 5/5/2017 at 1:39 PM, h20king said:

I disagree I have a factory surf system and don't use it. My advice is work on the  basics of surfing. If you are just standing there expecting the wave to push you  work on progression. 9.5 mph is way to slow most of us ride between  11 and 11.5 mph. The Enzo should put out a awesome wave with the setup you have  just sounds like you have not learned how to utilize it yet. 

I feel like we've got the basics down as we were surfing behind an FX-22 last summer before I bought my boat last October. I haven't been able to surf behind my boat as I had surgery April 3rd to re-attach my bicep tendon, so I've been going off of what it looks like when my buddy is behind the boat and what he feels while surfing compared to last summer. So there is definitely the possibility he needs to work on the fundamentals again since it's been a while.   

On 5/5/2017 at 1:54 PM, Jake707 said:

Or just blame it on the board. I did for the first season I was learning.  My wife and friend could ride it no problem without the rope but my big tush was struggling on the small hyperlite skim style board that came with the boat.  After the first season I was able to ride ropeless but Im still not really able to carve like I want or even ride that long before eventually washing out the back.

The board is a P5 58" Model X, so unfortunately I know it will hold both mine and my buddy's weight as we're both over 220lbs. I supposed we could try to loose weight but who wants to give up beer???

On 5/5/2017 at 3:08 PM, Rhale said:

Rhale- let me know your thoughts once you change over to the suck gate.....