VaBeachBum

Fiberglass Swim Platform Rubber Surface

VaBeachBum    0

Ok, I just read this in the Teak platform thread and it sparked my memory. I have one of the rubber covered fiberglass platforms. Late in the season last year, the black from the rubber started to get on people's boardshorts if they sat on the platform. Sometimes they would track the black across the seats.

Is there anything I can do with the rubber to prevent this? Or is it just time to replace the rubber mat that's glued down?

Either way, I gotta do something....I have a brand new pair of boardshorts that have a lot of white in them. :crazy:

(I'd really like to get the rubber covering that has all the helmets pressed into it. That's awesome, but if it's just gonna start staining things soon after, I don't want it.)

Any suggestions welcome!!

WakeDoc    471
Ok, I just read this in the Teak platform thread and it sparked my memory. I have one of the rubber covered fiberglass platforms. Late in the season last year, the black from the rubber started to get on people's boardshorts if they sat on the platform. Sometimes they would track the black across the seats.

Is there anything I can do with the rubber to prevent this? Or is it just time to replace the rubber mat that's glued down?

Either way, I gotta do something....I have a brand new pair of boardshorts that have a lot of white in them. :crazy:

(I'd really like to get the rubber covering that has all the helmets pressed into it. That's awesome, but if it's just gonna start staining things soon after, I don't want it.)

Any suggestions welcome!!

What year is the boat? Is it still under warranty?

VaBeachBum    0

It's under the extended engine warranty, but not sure about bumper to bumper action. Would that be something that's covered?

WakeDoc    471

It's under the extended engine warranty, but not sure about bumper to bumper action. Would that be something that's covered?

I would at least ask the dealer, would not think rubber deck should be going bad that quick.

Bigshow    0

A friend has an '05 Avalanche. He replaced the rubber with Gator Grip. Much better.

WakeVB    0

Hey VBB,

Yeah man, you gotta keep that black stuff out of your boat dude. I know you dont want to spend half your summer cleaning that mess. If you dont end up with the stock stuff, I would check out "Sea Deck" in addition to Gator Grip. In all honesty, after calling both companies for samples, I think I preferred the sea deck product better than the gator grip. If I remember correctly, the gator grip has these huge bubbles in it and it looked like a pain in the rear to keep clean. Either way, most of these companies will hook you up with samples, just keep that in mind.

WakeDoc    471

I will have to agree with WakeVB the Sea Deck has a more finished look, I have had both and would go with Sea Deck if I was replacing mine.

VaBeachBum    0

Well, I went to my dealership, Airtime Watersports, and discussed the issue with them. Art, the proprietor, called the factory immediately. Within a couple of minutes, he had hung up the phone and told me that a new rubber mat was being shipped free of charge. I'll finally have the helmets (getting rid of the random honeycomb pattern) that I've wanted ever since I saw the first one roll into the shop!!

So, thanks WakeDoc, for suggesting that it might be a warranty issue. They didn't specifically say it was a warranty issue, but your comment got me to at least ask the question!!

tgaugh    2

Did you ever use 303 or any conditioner on it? What about the type of boat soap you were using?

It's great you are getting it fixed but if there is any chemicals or cleaning/treatment products you were using they may have been contributing to the breakdown.

VaBeachBum    0

I don't think I've used anything but carwash soap on it. I'm not quite sure what the people did who owned the boat before me, though.

I'm not sure how to take care of it honestly. Does anyone treat the rubber grip on the platform?

If so, I'd love to know how to keep this looking great when I get it.

WakeVB    0

303 :rolleyes:

WakeDoc    471

I have never used anything buy soap and water of any of my swim plateforms.

Well, I went to my dealership, Airtime Watersports, and discussed the issue with them. Art, the proprietor, called the factory immediately. Within a couple of minutes, he had hung up the phone and told me that a new rubber mat was being shipped free of charge. I'll finally have the helmets (getting rid of the random honeycomb pattern) that I've wanted ever since I saw the first one roll into the shop!!

So, thanks WakeDoc, for suggesting that it might be a warranty issue. They didn't specifically say it was a warranty issue, but your comment got me to at least ask the question!!

That's Art and Airtime for you... Can't say enough good things about them. Centurion is pretty good about standing behind their boats, maybe because they are still small enough to care.

tgaugh    2

That is really cool that you're taken care of like that, good on Centurion and the local dealer. I love that there is an outlet to give props to the dealers that are all about customer service like that, recognizing there efforts and Centurion supporting customers.

Does anyone know what Centurion says about treatment and conditioning of the platforms? What is the manufacturers recommended care practice is?

Kevin Baugh    78

The reason Centurion has been so successful the last few years

Great products

Reliable Products

and people at Both plants that take care of there customers

Add that to growing list of dealer's like Art and you have a winning combination

Edited by Kevin Baugh

I don't think you will like the rubber mat with the helmets on it. The complaint is the the points or to sharp and it cuts into your knees and hands. I elected not to put it on the Typhoon that I ordered but chose to put a simulated teak mat. The look of teak without all the work.

Joe

post-23-1210129540_thumb.jpg

smitty    0

Hanger,

I've never noticed the pattern hurting and no one has complained..But that looks bad a$$ I have never even seen one like that!

VaBeachBum    0

Hangar P.

Man, you are a little too late. That look is awesome, but I've already got the helmets stuck to the platform. Looks like some sharp edges, but I don't think anyone will get hurt.

Love the faux teak look!! Didn't even know that was available. You must know someone! :lol:

Hangar P.

Man, you are a little too late. That look is awesome, but I've already got the helmets stuck to the platform. Looks like some sharp edges, but I don't think anyone will get hurt.

Love the faux teak look!! Didn't even know that was available. You must know someone! :lol:

My local dealer Get Wet Marine had it done. The simulated teak is done by www.ttcustommarine.com. It is a product called PlasDeck. If your interested just give them a call or drop them an email and ask about the Centurion Helmet.

Joe

Kevin Baugh    78

I never thought about putting the Tahoe package platform on another boat but that looks great!