MFaso    56

ok. Stock ballast bag with 350lbs of lead under it.(port side) Starboard had 100lbs of lead and started with 15%(75lbs or so) then even tried 50% full Starboard later. 450lb sumo sac was half full on the seat. QF port and star and bow tanks were full. 0% in the bow bag(pnp). Tried speed from 11.2-11.8. quick surf was off, then on with a setting of 75, then 60, then 30, then 20.(tried everything)

The wave was bigger but the push wasn't there. It was more than stock but the pocket was so small and about 5ft off the swim platform. Any slight turn and you got washed out with no chance of recovery because there was no push in any other spot. Dropping the rope worked but for maybe 10 seconds at a time(15 max) then you wash out.

The boat was listed pretty hard. I didn't know what was "ok" so I stopped the 450lb sumo at about half.(225lbs roughly)

Driver was about 215lbs, my daughter is 50 and my cousin is 160. They were port side watching.

Not really impressed. I'm actually a little depressed about the whole thing. I expected it to be good today with a nice big pocket and it was still pooh. If you all weren't here saying it does eventually work with the right setup I think I'd be on the phone with my dealer or even supreme telling them their biggest boat shouldn't even have the word surf on the side. I'm that upset about it right now, and frankly a little lost on what to try next even with the ballast upgrade coming. I'm just bummed out overall. Did I buy the wrong boat or are my expectations of dropping the rope (like every little kid on youtube) just too high?

Am I going to waste the whole summer trying to drop the rope? Super bummed.

h20king    794

Sounds like you had to much trim. When I say 15 to 20% that is just slightly down from all the way up. You need more weight you should be getting something like this post-777-0-10653500-1440877870_thumb.jpgpost-777-0-66417000-1440878306_thumb.jpg

h20king    794
42 minutes ago, MFaso said:

ok. Stock ballast bag with 350lbs of lead under it.(port side) Starboard had 100lbs of lead and started with 15%(75lbs or so) then even tried 50% full Starboard later. 450lb sumo sac was half full on the seat. QF port and star and bow tanks were full. 0% in the bow bag(pnp). Tried speed from 11.2-11.8. quick surf was off, then on with a setting of 75, then 60, then 30, then 20.(tried everything)

The wave was bigger but the push wasn't there. It was more than stock but the pocket was so small and about 5ft off the swim platform. Any slight turn and you got washed out with no chance of recovery because there was no push in any other spot. Dropping the rope worked but for maybe 10 seconds at a time(15 max) then you wash out.

The boat was listed pretty hard. I didn't know what was "ok" so I stopped the 450lb sumo at about half.(225lbs roughly)

Driver was about 215lbs, my daughter is 50 and my cousin is 160. They were port side watching.

Not really impressed. I'm actually a little depressed about the whole thing. I expected it to be good today with a nice big pocket and it was still pooh. If you all weren't here saying it does eventually work with the right setup I think I'd be on the phone with my dealer or even supreme telling them their biggest boat shouldn't even have the word surf on the side. I'm that upset about it right now, and frankly a little lost on what to try next even with the ballast upgrade coming. I'm just bummed out overall. Did I buy the wrong boat or are my expectations of dropping the rope (like every little kid on youtube) just too high?

Am I going to waste the whole summer trying to drop the rope? Super bummed.

I  have 200 lbs of lead in both rear lockers. Plus I have 800 lb sacks in the rear lockers. Also have a 275 lb sack under the side seat plus 240 LBS of lead I also fill both quick fills. Add it up that's 2015 lbs on the surf side  plus 700 on the opposite side plus 500 in the bow tank that's a total of 3215 lbs so as you see your still a ways off. Don't get discouraged  it's a big boat and needs lot's of weight. Once you get it figured out you will be happy 

Sounds like you had to much trim. When I say 15 to 20% that is just slightly down from all the way up. You need more weight you should be getting something like this post-777-0-10653500-1440877870_thumb.jpgpost-777-0-66417000-1440878306_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

h20king    794

We are going out this weekend I'll do a quick walk through video how I set up for you

• Like 1

MFaso    56
47 minutes ago, h20king said:

We are going out this weekend I'll do a quick walk through video how I set up for you

I'd REALLY appreciate that. I got camping with my kid this weekend  and softball/tball games like crazy next week after work so I'm probably not going to make it back until memorial day weekend.

Thank you!

• Like 1

NW Vettes    11
1 hour ago, MFaso said:

I'd REALLY appreciate that. I got camping with my kid this weekend  and softball/tball games like crazy next week after work so I'm probably not going to make it back until memorial day weekend.

Thank you!

If I have issues with going rope less on mine I'll be pissed too. My 1100's are in and I have 500 in lead. I hit the lake on Saturday or Sunday.

I will say the best way to dial in the wave is to have a really good surfer surfing while you make small changes. That's what it took for my s226 to find its sweet spot and know what it looks like. Problem is I don't have that good surfer to tap in to this year.  Keep us updated and did you take pics or video?

MFaso    56
24 minutes ago, NW Vettes said:

If I have issues with going rope less on mine I'll be pissed too. My 1100's are in and I have 500 in lead. I hit the lake on Saturday or Sunday.

I will say the best way to dial in the wave is to have a really good surfer surfing while you make small changes. That's what it took for my s226 to find its sweet spot and know what it looks like. Problem is I don't have that good surfer to tap in to this year.  Keep us updated and did you take pics or video?

No pictures or video today. I was just testing a whole bunch of different things that didn't work for me. I have someone on Facebook who is going to tell me their exact settings in the morning. They have a sweet looking wave non listed with the WakeMakers upgraded ballast package. I've also had quite a few people say the boat is great and once dialed in its just insane. I just wish figuring it out was easier. I'm not looking to waste a summer playing with settings. I'll keep you posted. Let me now how you make out this weekend. I'll be reading from my tent in the woods on Saturday might! Lol

I spoke with a Supreme dealer here when I ordered my 1100 sac for the rear port side. He told me Supremes don't like any bow weight as they're already bow heavy and it causes the wave to actually become harder to get/dial in. Now I'm 100% new to Supremes so anything I say should be taken with a grain of salt.

With what he said in mind I didn't order and weight bags, I also went against his suggestion and installed the 1100. With that bag nearly full, center tank 1/4 to maybe 1/2 full and one person in the boat the port side wave is GREAT. Trim tab is 75%. I have yet to fill the center tank full yet, or even the quick fills at all.

I will say, the front end definitely does stick up, but the boat lists enough to make my GF think we're going to flip.

So are there people here who've added an 1100, and then lead later on and seen a difference? 

NW Vettes    11
27 minutes ago, Specialblend07 said:

I spoke with a Supreme dealer here when I ordered my 1100 sac for the rear port side. He told me Supremes don't like any bow weight as they're already bow heavy and it causes the wave to actually become harder to get/dial in. Now I'm 100% new to Supremes so anything I say should be taken with a grain of salt.

With what he said in mind I didn't order and weight bags, I also went against his suggestion and installed the 1100. With that bag nearly full, center tank 1/4 to maybe 1/2 full and one person in the boat the port side wave is GREAT. Trim tab is 75%. I have yet to fill the center tank full yet, or even the quick fills at all.

I will say, the front end definitely does stick up, but the boat lists enough to make my GF think we're going to flip.

So are there people here who've added an 1100, and then lead later on and seen a difference? 

The S226 is a different animal and makes a great wave stock. I will say I never used any bow weight or lead on my 226 and had a great wave. Bow weight will lengthen the wave some but be careful of the rollers as water will come over the front (tends to wake up everyone in the boat lol). 

If it was me I would be using the QF tanks loaded and then fill the 1100 bags as needed to dial in the wave but there are guys on here that will give way better advice then me. 

h20king    794

Like I said above I weigh the he'll out  of my boat I'll do a walk through this weekend  with pics of both listed and QS set up.  We put 150 hours on our 238  last year and have not had any problems getting it dialed in.  Same for our last boat which was a 226 put 300 hours on it.  It baffles me  that you guy's are struggling so much getting your boats to surf. 

Nolance    18

My experience is that these boats are quite finicky but once you have them dialed in, it is sweet.  Trust me, it took me half the summer last year to figure out. I wish I could off you some advice Mfaso with you quest but it sounds like the 238 is a different beast.  My optimal settings on my 226 are as follows.  Surfside PNP full.  I installed the 1100's. Both quick fills and center tank full. Trim set at 20-30%.  I will drain opposite quick fill at surf speed (10.8-11.2) until desired shape and then close the tank.  Wave has decent height with plenty of length and tons of push.  Also, I'll put an additional 400 pounds on the surfside and use the surf system to shape.  Doesn't take much to shape.  Good luck man!!

• Like 1

49faith    4
12 minutes ago, Nolance said:

My experience is that these boats are quite finicky but once you have them dialed in, it is sweet.  Trust me, it took me half the summer last year to figure out. I wish I could off you some advice Mfaso with you quest but it sounds like the 238 is a different beast.  My optimal settings on my 226 are as follows.  Surfside PNP full.  I installed the 1100's. Both quick fills and center tank full. Trim set at 20-30%.  I will drain opposite quick fill at surf speed (10.8-11.2) until desired shape and then close the tank.  Wave has decent height with plenty of length and tons of push.  Also, I'll put an additional 400 pounds on the surfside and use the surf system to shape.  Doesn't take much to shape.  Good luck man!!

This is exactly what I've been doing with my S21 the last few times out. I have no bow or center tank so I put 150 pounds of lead up front and another 150 out back on surf side (i'll move more up front if I have a big crew.) Port surf with 10-20% trim tab and starboard with 90% tab down. I don't have quick surf either so I shape my wave with a suckgate, but only for the starboard side. Listed port fine without.

MFaso    56
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:06 AM, h20king said:

Like I said above I weigh the he'll out  of my boat I'll do a walk through this weekend  with pics of both listed and QS set up.  We put 150 hours on our 238  last year and have not had any problems getting it dialed in.  Same for our last boat which was a 226 put 300 hours on it.  It baffles me  that you guy's are struggling so much getting your boats to surf. 

Did you get to video anything H?

h20king    794

No was tons of debris in the water so my focus was on driving will try to get it' done for you this weekend 

Edited by h20king
  • Like 1

Does anyone know the dimensions of the 50lb lead wake bags or the POP bags?  I'm using some 45lb plates under the fat sacs but would like to have something a little more elegant that I can stuff into smaller areas.  I'm assuming both the pop and LW bags are about 2-2.5" thick. 

MFaso    56

Going on my memory a 45lb plate is definitely lower in height than the lead wake bags I have. I'd say a bag is about 3-4 inches high. The difference however is they are not round and wide like the 45lb plate so you can focus the weight more to a single area. Also, I can't imagine stacking 4 plates on each other and even if you did, it isn't much weight. 4, 50lb bags would fit inside or close the circumference of 1 plate.(although they would be a little higher.

I have the wake makers sacks in my rear lockers now and 400lbs(6 bags) of lead with the bag, and all fits fine. I don't know how well 400lbs in plates would fit with an upgraded bag.

The only good thing about the plates you have is I'm guessing you had them or they were free. I spent just over 500 on 10 bags of lead. buy 9 and the 10th is free from leadwake.

Good luck!

Right.  I have room for one layer of 45lb plates but there is a lot of wasted space with the indents of the plates and the space between them.  They are round so the fat sac kinda fills in the gaps and indents but it would be nice to have a better solution with a little added weight. 

Nick213    583

Pop bags, they will leave no space unused and you can put them all the way in the back of the boat.

IMG_4758.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for the visual Nick.  That's very helpful. 

Nick213    583

@2ndtimearound just to be clear the pic isn't a 226 it's a avalanche C4 and the pop bags are 40#'s each.

Edited by Nick213