stoked    1,039

A thought: leadwake's logo is a bullet. That's because he started by going to local ranges and taking their lead off of their hands. They actually have a problem getting rid of all of the used lead bullets. If anyone wants to try and do it on the cheap, swing by your local range and see if they have any lead they want to get rid of. You can then find the bags on amazon and fill them yourself.

I tried to go this route, but when I checked my local ranges someone else was already grabbing the lead for fishing weights. 

MFaso    56

Sorry, I was off the computer yesterday. Back at work today.(ugh) Here's the deal. POP can't deliver to a residence. He owns a machine shop and the lead(not actually lead anymore by the way) comes from his scraps. He has freight trucks coming out and sends the bags with the trucks. The bags aren't his primary business and are made differently. Something like that anyway...

I spoke to Jared on the phone for a solid 15 minutes. He is a good guy. There is a 10% off code he will give you but if you call him he will take care of it all over the phone. I ended up ordering 500lbs(10 bags) for $531. Yes, it was more than POP BUT, the bag sizes are actually smaller with more weight. His bags can get wet, they won't absorb water and the water will NEVER reach the inside of the bag. If you are in Cali, close to him, he is even willing to go out with you and help you dial the wave in with his bags. All around good guy and good for the sport.

I'd say call him and talk to him and you could mention me saying he does 10% off on over 9 bags. I may end up buying more but I'm just starting to add weight and I don't know where I'll be after my ballast upgrade. I don't want to carry 1k around every time out for no reason. I may buy a duffle bag with a lock and leave some on the dock. NO ONE is going to be able to lift/steal a 500lb duffle bag. ;) 1k lbs? forget it! I'd love to see someone try.

Mike

• Like 1

RhuntIII    555

Well we just went all over the place then back to where we started. Keep us posted on your weighting progress. 

Tungsten now that's where it's at. 

Edited by RhuntIII

volzalum    280

When I researched, the lead wake bags had a smaller footprint and weighed more. Since I wanted 200 pounds per corner, it took 4 smaller footprint bags whereas the pop-product bags would take 5 bags.

just to note, the lead wakes may come in slightly different than 50 pounds exactly. Per the USPS notes, I had 1 at 48.5 pounds, two at 49 pounds, 4 at 50 pounds, 1 at 50.5 pounds, and 2 at 51 pounds. 

CO Surfer    289

The code for the leadwake bags is: SPRING10.  I just bought 6 bags.  Came out to $1.06/lb.  I probably just should have bought the 9 to get the 10th free.  I'm thinking I can get $300 worth of bags past the wife; over $450 might be a little much.  My daughter is already convinced I'm going to sink the boat after the water ballast bag and pump upgrade.  The response she gets from me is "Sink it and surf it!".  I usually get an eye roll on that one.

• Like 2

RhuntIII    555
5 hours ago, CO Surfer said:

The code for the leadwake bags is: SPRING10.  I just bought 6 bags.  Came out to $1.06/lb.  I probably just should have bought the 9 to get the 10th free.  I'm thinking I can get $300 worth of bags past the wife; over $450 might be a little much.  My daughter is already convinced I'm going to sink the boat after the water ballast bag and pump upgrade.  The response she gets from me is "Sink it and surf it!".  I usually get an eye roll on that one.

Nice. I'm in the works on a new 2 me 233 but enough of that. Lets talk about your ballast up grade and what you are planning on doing with all this lead.

Cwazy1    89

I'd put nearly all of that in the rear lockers under the ballast bags and a few under the bench seating to move around to tune it depending on your crew size.. If it becomes too bow high then fill the bow/center bags. 

CO Surfer    289
6 hours ago, RhuntIII said:

Nice. I'm in the works on a new 2 me 233 but enough of that. Lets talk about your ballast up grade and what you are planning on doing with all this lead.

Here's the thread with some info on what I'm doing:  

It's a Ramfill boat that I did not originally order with the PnP bags.  I am more or less correcting that now.

i plan on putting the lead bags all the way bag against the transom.  There's a small shelf there on the SV that should work fine.  The other bag (or 2) may end up going against the engine divider below where the water ballast bags are.

I'm not quite finished with it yet so lead (steel shot really) bag placement may change.

strev    26
On 5/5/2017 at 11:00 AM, MFaso said:

Sorry, I was off the computer yesterday. Back at work today.(ugh) Here's the deal. POP can't deliver to a residence. He owns a machine shop and the lead(not actually lead anymore by the way) comes from his scraps. He has freight trucks coming out and sends the bags with the trucks. The bags aren't his primary business and are made differently. Something like that anyway...

I spoke to Jared on the phone for a solid 15 minutes. He is a good guy. There is a 10% off code he will give you but if you call him he will take care of it all over the phone. I ended up ordering 500lbs(10 bags) for $531. Yes, it was more than POP BUT, the bag sizes are actually smaller with more weight. His bags can get wet, they won't absorb water and the water will NEVER reach the inside of the bag. If you are in Cali, close to him, he is even willing to go out with you and help you dial the wave in with his bags. All around good guy and good for the sport.

I'd say call him and talk to him and you could mention me saying he does 10% off on over 9 bags. I may end up buying more but I'm just starting to add weight and I don't know where I'll be after my ballast upgrade. I don't want to carry 1k around every time out for no reason. I may buy a duffle bag with a lock and leave some on the dock. NO ONE is going to be able to lift/steal a 500lb duffle bag. ;) 1k lbs? forget it! I'd love to see someone try.

Mike

Glad you finely came around and saw the light... Told you he was a good guy 8)...

Mike if you need a commercial address with a loading dock to ship to you can have it shipped here.  Should definitely save you on shipping either way.  Just give me a heads up so I know when to expect it.. 

• Like 1

MFaso    56
2 hours ago, South Shore Marina NJ said:

Mike if you need a commercial address with a loading dock to ship to you can have it shipped here.  Should definitely save you on shipping either way.  Just give me a heads up so I know when to expect it.. 

Thanks Matt. Appreciate it. I didn't even think of that. Wait until you see my wife's face when we are out and talking about 500lbs in lead bags. She'll be cursing me out real soon. :)

h20king    794
44 minutes ago, MFaso said:

Thanks Matt. Appreciate it. I didn't even think of that. Wait until you see my wife's face when we are out and talking about 500lbs in lead bags. She'll be cursing me out real soon. :)

Werun 640 LBS of lead in our 238 at all times. 200 lbs under each rear sack and 240 LBS we move side to side under the side seats 

MFaso    56

I'll have to tinker with it. My first attempt will probably be 500 in the port/surf side rear locker and maybe 30% in the bow tank. Listing it stock didn't help me at all. I didn't have anyone other than my daughter in the boat which did nothing and the boat didn't really list. I'd call it a slight list but you barely noticed and the wave didn't change in push at all. My bags are getting upgraded soon but not for another week or two. As I add weight I'll have to play with what works. Thanks h20.

h20king    794
41 minutes ago, MFaso said:

I'll have to tinker with it. My first attempt will probably be 500 in the port/surf side rear locker and maybe 30% in the bow tank. Listing it stock didn't help me at all. I didn't have anyone other than my daughter in the boat which did nothing and the boat didn't really list. I'd call it a slight list but you barely noticed and the wave didn't change in push at all. My bags are getting upgraded soon but not for another week or two. As I add weight I'll have to play with what works. Thanks h20.

What side are you surfing? Would be happy to share what works for us. Regular side does not list as hard as goofy post-777-0-89762200-1469666759_thumb.jpg

MFaso    56
3 minutes ago, h20king said:

What side are you surfing? Would be happy to share what works for us. Regular side does not list as hard as goofy post-777-0-89762200-1469666759_thumb.jpg

port side and my boat did not look anything like that when I tried to list it...haha The weight is coming today. I'm going to try and get it to the boat and test the wave Thursday night. It's gonna take me a few trips to talk 500lbs from the truck to the boat. :)

I'm patiently waiting for my wife to get home from work and check the mail today. She's going to try and bring the packages(aka, weights) in the house and lose her pooh. I'm just sitting back waiting for the text..."WTF did you order now? What's in these effing boxes?????" It's going to be something just like that...

• Like 1

h20king    794
12 minutes ago, MFaso said:

port side and my boat did not look anything like that when I tried to list it...haha The weight is coming today. I'm going to try and get it to the boat and test the wave Thursday night. It's gonna take me a few trips to talk 500lbs from the truck to the boat. :)

I'm patiently waiting for my wife to get home from work and check the mail today. She's going to try and bring the packages(aka, weights) in the house and lose her pooh. I'm just sitting back waiting for the text..."WTF did you order now? What's in these effing boxes?????" It's going to be something just like that...

LOL I have heard that same thing many times. My set up for port side is as follows. 200 lbs of lead under each rear sack. Both quick fills full, center tank full,  port side sacks full  ours is upgraded so 800 lb sack  in the rear locker and a 275 lb sack under the port side seat plus another 240 LBS of lead under port side seat set trim at 20% and speed at 11.2 - 11.8 mph depending on what you are comfortable with. To shape we use 10 -20% quick surf 

Edited by h20king

MFaso    56
1 hour ago, h20king said:

LOL I have heard that same thing many times. My set up for port side is as follows. 200 lbs of lead under each rear sack. Both quick fills full, center tank full,  port side sacks full  ours is upgraded so 800 lb sack  in the rear locker and a 275 lb sack under the port side seat plus another 240 LBS of lead under port side seat set trim at 20% and speed at 11.2 - 11.8 mph depending on what you are comfortable with. To shape we use 10 -20% quick surf 

So just to be clear...your star rear sack and bow bags are totally empty?

h20king    794

Yep bow sack empty and starboard side sacks empty. Starboard quick fill full as well as 200 lbs of lead under starboard rear sack  

MFaso    56

H,(Your private messages are turned off man)

Finally heading to the boat today just to test the wake with the lead and the 450 seat sac to see the difference from stock to EXTRA weight. I'm trying to follow your exact weight setup but I'm a little off.(but close) I'm looking to drop the damn rope so if I accomplish that today then I'm going to be real happy. I have the upgraded sacs coming in and getting installed this weekend.(which should put me right where you are)

The question is - You said "trim at 20% and speed at 11.2 - 11.8 mph depending on what you are comfortable with. To shape we use 10 -20% quick surf"

TRIM - This is the stinger plate, right? 0-100 so you are saying set it to 20 or 70?

10-20% quick surf - So, under EDIT, what number(s) should I be around?

Keep in mind I have the screen on the '17 so I'm not exactly sure what people mean by "clicks" on the rocker switches and such. Meeting my buddy at 5pm. If you get a chance to reply before then I would appreciate it. I don't care about anything today other than dropping the rope...:)

h20king    794
1 hour ago, MFaso said:

H,(Your private messages are turned off man)

Finally heading to the boat today just to test the wake with the lead and the 450 seat sac to see the difference from stock to EXTRA weight. I'm trying to follow your exact weight setup but I'm a little off.(but close) I'm looking to drop the damn rope so if I accomplish that today then I'm going to be real happy. I have the upgraded sacs coming in and getting installed this weekend.(which should put me right where you are)

The question is - You said "trim at 20% and speed at 11.2 - 11.8 mph depending on what you are comfortable with. To shape we use 10 -20% quick surf"

TRIM - This is the stinger plate, right? 0-100 so you are saying set it to 20 or 70?

10-20% quick surf - So, under EDIT, what number(s) should I be around?

Keep in mind I have the screen on the '17 so I'm not exactly sure what people mean by "clicks" on the rocker switches and such. Meeting my buddy at 5pm. If you get a chance to reply before then I would appreciate it. I don't care about anything today other than dropping the rope...:)

Yes trim is the center plate so set it at 15-20% for the regular side. On the 16 238  quick surf is on rocker switches  so for the screen  set quick surf  at surf left or port side and just barely on to shape you will have to play with it some but it is not necessary to use it running listed. Set your speed at 11.2 mph  for some extra push and you should have no problem dropping the rope. Don't worry about the quick surf at first just leave it off and see what you get.

Edited by h20king