bradassault

Got my 17 ri 217 out and have a few ??

bradassault    1

Hey guys got on the lake on weekend to test out my new ri and have a couple questions. boat has the 409 in it with the 1589 14.5 by 16 prop. After cruising around for break in we filled it up and did a little surfing water was a bit chilly at 48 degrees but we suited up and toughed it out. Do these things get less "gassey" when they break in? The exhaust fumes were terrible out back, couldn't sit on the back of the boat either it was to much, this only seemed to be while we were surfing. Any prop recommendations as I like to have a spare cause the lake we are at gets pretty shallow in places. My findings as of now with the 1589 where empty with 3 people on board it would go 38.5 mph at 5500 rpm(there was still more throttle left as I didn't want to rev it more than 5500. Surfing at 11.3 with 3 people and we had full ballast was around 4100 rpm, it pulled up to surf speed fairly well nothing crazy, I plan to add some more weight in the rear and usually have three more passengers, it won't bother me to sacrifice some top end either, wondering what you guys recommend I have read a lot on what you guys are doing with the 257 and 237's not sure if the 217 is similar or not any feedback would be great! 

MrHudson13    8

H5 is gonna get a work out. I'd do a 15" if not 15.5" diameter prop. Try 15x14.25. 16 pitch is not gonna give you what you need for surfing and you'll burn a lot of gas!

stoked    1,039

So the issue we have is that the plastic exhaust what ever you want to call it, I call it at the bottom of our lake, sits above the water line when you're surfing, so those exhaust fumes hit you right in the face. The new 2017s have the stinger plate that push the exhaust out of the bottom of the plate and into the wash. So far I haven't seen anyone retro fit, or if it is even possible. So the other option is FAE. It is a pipe that connects to the exhaust port and pushes the exhaust into the prop wash and doesn't surface till a 100 feet or so later. It's a must have for anyone that surfs a boat with the exhaust at the rear: http://www.freshairexhaust.com/

InfinitySurf    302

I have the PCM ZR409 on my SV244 with a 1433 prop (14.25 X 14.25). TONS of low end torque and zero cavitation...still get 40mph on the top end. I don't get fumes like you describe at any time.....but I did install an FAE like Stoked is talking about. Quiets the boat down a lot and it will get rid of fumes if it stays an issue. They are great to work with and should have the 2017 models out now.

On a smaller boat like yours, no way you will have a power issue with the 409 as I can max out 5k lbs of ballast and have 12 people on boat and it still does not hesitate. Do you have the H5 (which I am sure would still be plenty of power) or the ZR409? The H5 has 355HP with 405ftlbs of torque and the ZR409 is 409HP with 492ftlbs...I ask cause of the comment made above by MrHudson and didnt know if they still put the ZR409 in new models.

bradassault    1

It has the 409 in it they didn't offer the h5 in 17 it was either the 409 or the h6. I'm gonna get in touch with my dealer and see if it will be possible to switch out the stinger plate to the new one that the exhaust goes into, should have ordered it with it never even thought of it as my 09 Avy never had any issues with that at all. As far as prop I talked to acme and they recommended a 2923 which is a 15.5 by 13. 

Edited by bradassault

InfinitySurf    302

ACME should know best for that model.....if you wanna double check them, call Nettle Props in TX. They are great, I bought my last prop from them and send in my old one for repair....and it was in pretty bad shape, I didnt think they would get all the nicks out of blades....when repaired prop came back, it looked brand new. Very impressive. If you want a 2nd opinion on prop, call J. T. Nettle @ 512-837-7707.

Your 22' boat has got to have impressive power with that 409. I know it has impressed me in my boat. My next boat will either be an RI237....or a Tige RZ2. I love my Centurion and love the RI series, reason I am considering the Tige is simply due to dealer relationship, makes a big difference when you need something done or have warranty work pending.

I would do the stinger plate with exhaust outlet too if I could, just seems like less possible things could go wrong doing it that way compared to FAE, tho I must admit, mine is solid. Still, one less thing that could break off if something hit back of boat. Will be interesting to see how the durability of that "hose" that connect exhaust outlet to stinger plate will be like. Hope its tough.

Woody    1
21 hours ago, bradassault said:

It has the 409 in it they didn't offer the h5 in 17 it was either the 409 or the h6. I'm gonna get in touch with my dealer and see if it will be possible to switch out the stinger plate to the new one that the exhaust goes into, should have ordered it with it never even thought of it as my 09 Avy never had any issues with that at all. As far as prop I talked to acme and they recommended a 2923 which is a 15.5 by 13. 

I would love to hear how you make out with that new prop.

bradassault    1

Thanks guys and woody I can post up when I find my results, it will be a bit as I'm a farmer and right now is busy season so I won't get back on the water for a month or maybe more 

ryankat84    0

Did you get a chance to test the Acme 2923 prop?  I am trying to figure out what prop to get.  I am coming from an axis a22 that seems to  be way more efficient than my RI217.  I am hoping that a new prop will make a big difference.  if there are any other  suggestions please let me know.