Sign in to follow this  
CWGeorgia

Replacing the steering cable in 2006 Centruian Avalanche C4

CWGeorgia    0

I have a 2006 Centurian Avalanch C4. Its been a great boat and is still in fantastic shape. Last year the steering started to get harder to turn. I read online that it was most likely the steering cable. I shopped the cable and can get one for under 200$. I have asked two dealers to quote me a price on installing it but am having a difficult time getting an answer. One wants me to bring it in and have them look at it before they will tell me a price the other has not called me back after several calls to them. Has anyone out there done this on their Avalanche and do you have any advice for me if I decide to tackle it. I believe I just have to undo the 4 bolts where the rack attaches to the steering column and then undo the cotter pin and bolt where it attaches to the rudder mechanism. It feels like there is also another small bracket about 12-18 18" forward of where the end attaches to the rudder. Does that bracket need to come off to remove the cable - I cant see or reach it very well. Any help would be much appreciated. I am 6'4" with lone arms but it is still way down there for me. Seems like there must be an easier way. Thanks for any help!

04C4    0

Did you ever figure out your cable replacement?

chinocat    0

I have a 2003 Elite V and I just changed the steering cable on it.  If you have a little help, you should be able to do it in less than an hour!  All you have to do is remove the cotter pin and bolt where it attaches to the rudder, there is a 1 1/8" nut to loosen off forward of the rudder about a foot and a half.  (I removed the two cooling hoses off the water pump to make a little more room) and then tie a rope to the cable where the pin goes through.   Undo the four bolts at the steering wheel and have someone help feed the cable forward as you slowly pull it from under the starboard front seat(works best for angle going through he belly of the boat).  When you feed it back in have someone way out front with the steering wheel end and feed it back through with via the front seat opening and then it is easy to get the wheel attachment part back where it belongs by passing it up and under the dash. Then just tighten and put everything back together.   

A quick explanation but it really was not hard to do.  

chenige    84

The biggest bugger in the elite is getting st the large nut under the motor. 

Zackariah    0

I did mine on an 03 avalanche. I wish I was a contortionist! But that goes for most repairs. I can't give any advice that has not already been said. Good luck!

02Eclipse    0

I have an 02 exlipse v drive. I am having a terrible time getting the cable loose from the bracket below the engine. Do the 4 bolts that clamp the cable into the clamp block need to come off or does the clamp block itself separate from mounting bracket affixed to the hull? Those four bolts are a nightmare!!

gravity12    83

Has anyone tried to lube the  cable?  And how would you go about it. 

chenige    84

You do not need to remove the bracket. As I recall loosen the large nut at the front of the bracket all the way off.  Cable then slides forward out of bracket. 

chenige    84

Here is my famous 2000my production PVC bracket. The Howard nut needs to be taken off. 

IMG_5837.JPG