dejoeco

Making a real good wake better

dejoeco    59

I am a person who is always looking to make my boat's wave better. I love my 233. 6-7 peeps along with my normal ballast was GREEEAT. The goofy wave is always just alright as compared the regular side.

Anyway, I tried one those suctions systems. I have used the Mission Delta and the Tsunami by Agenda Surf. My first attempt was with a borrowed Mission, but I decided to purchase the Tsunami from Agenda. Similar results with both although it took me a couple times to smoothly install the Tsunami. The wave was AWESOME, best ever. I could ride faster and the push was fantastic, especially from far back. This with just two people in the boat. In addition, I was running the RamFil at 70% along with the hard weight I have stashed around.

• Like 1

BrandinS21    11

That's sweet! I just purchased the Tsunami and looking forward to trying it out on my S21. Let us know what your settings are. I'm hoping with the device that I can utilize all of the stock ballast and avoid bags on the seats and f$@king with pumps! Got any pictures?

dejoeco    59

That's sweet! I just purchased the Tsunami and looking forward to trying it out on my S21. Let us know what your settings are. I'm hoping with the device that I can utilize all of the stock ballast and avoid bags on the seats and f$@king with pumps! Got any pictures?

I have the front bag full and have an additional 150 under the removable cushion.. I do not have plug and play in the rear so I have about 400lbs of hard weight on each side and RamFil to 70%. Trim anywhere from 20 to 40%. YRMV I used to ride at anywhere from 10.9 to 11.1 and now I am at 11.3-11.4

N8 Froelich    12

Considering grabbing one of these. I read that the fuel consumption is a lot higher, which, is worth it but also I wouldn't mind mitigating that as much as possible. I saw this Roswell unit that just came out, I like that it has built in floatation and I thought it was interesting that it is not nearly as steep as the mission or Tsunami.

Our goofy wave just needs a little help to be pretty dialed in. I wondered if this would have the "clean up" effect but maybe cause a little less drag = fuel consumption? Thoughts?

I've not found any reviews besides one 5 star one Wakemakers. I hate to buy this cause it looks so easy to build but I've got NO TIME.

https://www.amazon.com/Roswell-Marine-Deflector-Wake-Shaper/dp/B01MDS2NZC/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1493086867&sr=1-1&keywords=roswell+deflector

InfinitySurf    302

Seems like a steep price for a suction cup shaper. Guess its possible that shape could help with fuel, don't know if it would make a difference or not, you would think not having as much resistance, maybe so....but then again, are you giving up performance for a couple dollars of fuel? I honestly don't know and also did not see any reviews on it. The concept of all of the shapers, is changing the way the water comes off side of boat, called "delayed convergence". The ones that are not adjustable, you can move from the front to back of boat to change shape of wave.

I have tried 2 and both similar results. Last year...A homemade one that looks like the "Swell"....which is the one they advertise on CC and think there is 15% off for members.

I actually bought the one made from aircraft aluminum from Nauticurl.com (both are about $200). You can also get a discount on that one.

Anyway, worked well on my boat. I honestly have not fully tested it yet since I have a great listed wave with a lot of ballast. I plan to play with it more as I always thot the more ballast, the bigger the wave could be. Just havent put in the time yet on the one I bought. I do worry that since I have such a big boat with lots of ballast, how the suction will hold up thru a day of using it, but only one way to find out! Just bought a wetsuit this weekend, so will be out this weekend giving it hell.

dejoeco    59

Considering grabbing one of these. I read that the fuel consumption is a lot higher, which, is worth it but also I wouldn't mind mitigating that as much as possible. I saw this Roswell unit that just came out, I like that it has built in floatation and I thought it was interesting that it is not nearly as steep as the mission or Tsunami.

Our goofy wave just needs a little help to be pretty dialed in. I wondered if this would have the "clean up" effect but maybe cause a little less drag = fuel consumption? Thoughts?

I've not found any reviews besides one 5 star one Wakemakers. I hate to buy this cause it looks so easy to build but I've got NO TIME.

https://www.amazon.com/Roswell-Marine-Deflector-Wake-Shaper/dp/B01MDS2NZC/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1493086867&sr=1-1&keywords=roswell+deflector

I can say that the Tsunami has three positions for potential set up. I have not used the setting with the least angle. (the furthest from 90 degrees) Yes, you use more gas and run at higher rpm's. The are many on the market and for 200-250 you can get something pretty nice. The Tsunami came with a leash. IT currently does NOT float, but I think they may be working on a floating model. This is not an issue with the leash.

1rusty68    1

Not sure if your opposed to drilling holes in your transom, but the fast Lenco rams are down to $340 shipped from marinepartssource and 3/4" HDPE is about another $50. Add a couple switches and its a fairly economical way to adjust the wake. I'm surprised I haven't seen more people adding these. We have had amazing results with the boats we have put them on and the great part is you can adjust the wave by just running the ram in or out at the switch. I'm convinced that if Malibu didn't have the patent locked up so tight on surfgate that most if not all manufactures would be trying it.

InfinitySurf    302

If you run a suck gate, one suggestion I would highly recommend (on models that do not float). Rather than tying the leash or line to the actual boat.....I tie it off to a spare fender and set the fender on the sundeck or back seat. that way if the suck gate falls off it takes the fender off boat with it and it doesn't bang into gelcoat or into swimdeck while you are trying to slow down....it will just fall off and float under the fender. Also WAY less chance of the leash breaking and you losing your suck gate. I have heard of that happening to a couple people, the drag was great enough that it broke the leash and they lost the device...or it scarred the gelcoat by banging into the boat.

N8 Froelich    12

Not sure if your opposed to drilling holes in your transom, but the fast Lenco rams are down to $340 shipped from marinepartssource and 3/4" HDPE is about another $50. Add a couple switches and its a fairly economical way to adjust the wake. I'm surprised I haven't seen more people adding these. We have had amazing results with the boats we have put them on and the great part is you can adjust the wave by just running the ram in or out at the switch. I'm convinced that if Malibu didn't have the patent locked up so tight on surfgate that most if not all manufactures would be trying it.

I've wondered about this too. A $450ish version of the wakemakers $4,000 "WaveControl System" I've been off the forum for a little bit. Has anyone done this mod and documented the process/results? We have a great reg side wave and our goofy is sooo close but it just doesn't quite get there. I also could benefit from an a plate but I've seen a lot of mixed result with spray and so on.

Are you suggesting putting the tab vertically? Meaning parallel to the side of the boat rather than the bottom? Like the Malibu surf gate?

Happy surfing!

stoked    1,039

If you are talking surf gate, check out my DIY Surf Gate 2.0. I made it for shallow water surfing to clean up the wave

WakeDoc    471

I have a SWELL Wake Creator in hand, we are going to try it out over the weekend, will try to get pics and video of before and after. They product also floats so no real need for a leash since I had the same worries as pointed out above of it coming off and banging down the side of the boat. Checkout this THREAD, they are also currently a Support Business/Member of the Crew.

1rusty68    1

I have done a couple vertical style gates like the Malibu surfgate using the fast lento actuators. It is amazing what delayed convergence does to the length and depth of the pocket. I plan to do this to about any boat I own until I can actually afford a boat with a factory surf system. It's relatively cheap and not very complicated. And you can adjust and run them in or out with just a momentary contact 3 position switch.

Edited by 1rusty68

Lak3surf3r    714

Joe did you take any wave pics after putting this on?

dejoeco    59
14 hours ago, Lak3surf3r said:

Joe did you take any wave pics after putting this on?

I did not take any pics and I need to.  I won't be heading to the lake for a couple weeks.  Jackie graduates this weekend with her doctorate and visiting oldest daughter in Jersey the following one..

I used it this past weekend with a full crew and I am not sure I like as much as I do with a small crew. It was hard changing settings and emptying weight with RamFil is hard to judge since it is on a timer..  The 233 is more sensitive to shifting weight and bodies than the new RI series.  My rpm's  are significantly higher with  all the people.

• Like 1

BigFoiz    23

I'm glad to see that the crew is coming around to the idea of wake shaping devices.  Last year I made a few posts about the one I built and people scoffed at me for putting something like that on a Centurion that is built to be listed.  I gladly took the heat though considering that my surf wave is INSANE now, even on the goofy side!  No shame in that...

• Like 2

N8 Froelich    12
On 4/27/2017 at 3:25 PM, WakeDoc said:

I have a SWELL Wake Creator in hand, we are going to try it out over the weekend, will try to get pics and video of before and after. They product also floats so no real need for a leash since I had the same worries as pointed out above of it coming off and banging down the side of the boat. Checkout this THREAD, they are also currently a Support Business/Member of the Crew.

Doc, Did you run the Swell? I've got the same boat so I thought I'd see what you thought. I keep thinking I'll make one but haven't been able to find the time. If you liked it I might just take advantage of the crew deal. Thanks. 

Mrdeerwood    26

I have been testing the SWELL wake shaper on a 2015 FS33. I started a different thread on it not realizing this one was going. I have pics and numbers posted there. Don't think I will be listing mine anymore, shapers really do work

Edited by Mrdeerwood

Nick213    583
18 minutes ago, BrandinS21 said:

Link to the other thread?