seattlehd

S238 Weight and New Tow Vehicle Help

seattlehd    9

Hi Everyone. I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for a little while and would really appreciate some help. My wife and I ordered a 2017 s238 in February and it just showed up at our dealer and will be ready for delivery soon. I'm wondering if anyone has been able to weigh their s238 on the trailer? I know that the specs say 4700 pounds dry plus trailer, gear and fuel. This would put the boat and trailer at around 6200 plus maybe 1000 pounds for fuel and gear. This is just a guess and I hope someone has a real number for me. I'm asking because we have a 3/4 ton Duramax but need a second tow vehicle so we can pull our boat and large travel trailer at the same time. The s238 weight puts us at the top end of the mid size suv category (Durango and Grand Cherokee) and pretty close to max on larger SUV's also. We live in Washington and will pull over the Cascade mountain passes on a regular basis so anyone's feedback on loaded weight and your tow vehicle experience would be much appreciated. Thanks!

NW Vettes    11

Hi Everyone. I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for a little while and would really appreciate some help. My wife and I ordered a 2017 s238 in February and it just showed up at our dealer and will be ready for delivery soon. I'm wondering if anyone has been able to weigh their s238 on the trailer? I know that the specs say 4700 pounds dry plus trailer, gear and fuel. This would put the boat and trailer at around 6200 plus maybe 1000 pounds for fuel and gear. This is just a guess and I hope someone has a real number for me. I'm asking because we have a 3/4 ton Duramax but need a second tow vehicle so we can pull our boat and large travel trailer at the same time. The s238 weight puts us at the top end of the mid size suv category (Durango and Grand Cherokee) and pretty close to max on larger SUV's also. We live in Washington and will pull over the Cascade mountain passes on a regular basis so anyone's feedback on loaded weight and your tow vehicle experience would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Just my opinion and experience. I'm sure others will chime in but I wouldn't pull these boats with a Durango or Cherokee. The breaking is zero issue and I think my dodge hemi 1500 breaks better towing since these trailers have great breaks. The problem is really the weight of your tow vehicle along with power going over those long drawn out passes. My hemi which has basic power adders still struggles some with towing. It does the job but not easy on it. If you are wanting an SUV then I'd go with a larger SUV like taho/similar. With all the said, it can be pulled by smaller vehicles that have the towing capacity. Just harder on them and maybe your sanity

daz28iroc    73

For reference as I pull only an avalanche currently so a bit lighter. Previously used a 2000 ram cummins with a large single turbo so not easy to keep boosting. Drum rear brakes.

Last year got to use a 2010 1500 chev with 5.3l again drum rears.

Now using a 2012 grand cherokee hemi.

Pulled boat from lower mainland to osoyoos and to kamloops.

I already feel more comfortable pulling with the grand cherokee. While i know i wont be able to pull 130kph up the coq shed anymore. The silverado pulled 80 kph up the coq and had no issue slowing it down on way back down.

The silverado and the GC both technically have mid 7k towing capacity.

daz28iroc    73

For reference as I pull only an avalanche currently so a bit lighter. Previously used a 2000 ram cummins with a large single turbo so not easy to keep boosting. Drum rear brakes.

Last year got to use a 2010 1500 chev with 5.3l again drum rears.

Now using a 2012 grand cherokee hemi.

Pulled boat from lower mainland to osoyoos and to kamloops.

I already feel more comfortable pulling with the grand cherokee. While i know i wont be able to pull 130kph up the coq shed anymore. The silverado pulled 80 kph up the coq and had no issue slowing it down on way back down.

The silverado and the GC both technically have mid 7k towing capacity.

rrd525    40

Weighed our 2016 S238 last summer.
Loaded with normal boat gear, small bag cooler, 3 wakeboards,2 surf boards, 200 lbs lead and full tank of fuel - 7300 lbs Total boat and Boatmate trailer

570 lbs of that ended up on the tongue.

Our Silverado 1500 could handle the weight with a 9500lb tow rating, but ran out of payload capacity. Long steep hills were not friendly if you got out of the power zone..
Going to put the Duramax 3500 in front of it in a few more weeks.

• Like 1

seattlehd    9

Thanks for the replies everyone! We spent the day test driving yesterday and did a pretty good job of eliminating options. We ruled out the Durango, Grand Cherokee and Colorado diesel. Just too small and close to their tow limits for long trips over the mountain passes. We drove an eco boost Expedition and really liked the motor, I just can't wait for the updated body style next year and the current Expedition feels dated. We loved the Tahoe with the max trailering option but the 5.3 platform is a little sluggish. Then we drove a Denali and almost left the dealer with that but the lower tow rating and payload is a concern. As I'm typing this I'm slowly convincing myself that the the best option is another Duramax. Thanks for the numbers and 1500 feedback rrd!

• Like 1

InfinitySurf    302

Best option...probably is a Duramax. I have had several and very hard to beat them for trailering. You wont hardly feel a boat behind one of those. Your cost of course is much higher to pull trigger and cost of ownership is also higher, but certainly provides peace of mind with a vehicle like that.

I picked up a 2016 Silverado 5.3 last year. Double cab with extended rear seats with 5.5 short bed...has the gear ratio to tow almost 9k (think its 1.72 ratio...don't remember if that is correct, but know its the higher rating). I pull an SV244 which is similar to what you have...says 5000 dry weight. I figure 7200-7500 depending on how much fuel and gear I have on board.

Anyway, I have a 40min tow to the lake I like to be on the most and do it at least once a week, sometimes 2-3 times. No huge hills or anything, but definitely not flat and half of it is small winding country roads due to the way I like to go (hate traffic). Anyway, that truck pulls with zero issue. Plenty of power, no sway and no issue at ALL with braking. I honestly was not sure how it would handle cause I figured a 24+ boat would max out any 1500 truck and was thinking I may switch out trucks. But after a few months of pulling it all over tho this year, I am really happy with it. Don't know that I would be if there were lots of steep hills (only due to steep climb and not wanting to max out the transmission, cause I am quite anal about taking good care of everything I own), but does much better than I expected.

I say that cause you mentioned the Tahoe, but with same engine, a Tahoe would have more vehicle weight I would assume. I think it would do ok, but for the price you pay for a loaded Tahoe, you might as well get the Duramax. Side note....my buddy bought his wife a 2017 Tahoe and has the same boat. It does just fine for him, but he does not pull it far...under 10mins for him.

Jones737    1

I pull my s238 with a ford f-150 with a ecoboost and it pulls like a dream.. 

seattlehd    9

Thanks for the feedback everyone! We decided on a Silverado 3500HD Duramax. Complete overkill but we'll never have to worry about being over the tow capacity. I'll try and post a few pics of the new truck and boat soon.

• Like 1

Jake707    171

Im a bum I guess I pull my Elite with my trusty 97 Tahoe haha   She may not be the prettiest or have all the new gadgets and big diesel motor but that chevy 350 still chugs alone the highway at 75 no problem.

DjOM21    59
4 hours ago, seattlehd said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone! We decided on a Silverado 3500HD Duramax. Complete overkill but we'll never have to worry about being over the tow capacity. I'll try and post a few pics of the new truck and boat soon.

No such thing as to much truck, plus now you are future proof for when you need to tow the 257 home. 

I say throw a 1000# of lead in the 238,  then you are justified in your purchase. 

Diesel Powah. 

Edited by DjOM21