257Tsunami

New Member, New to Centurion, New Ri257

257Tsunami    50

Question for the 257 guys running the Bow Sac (Centre PnP as Centurion refers to it). Where is the pump for that bag? I was crawling around the boat again tonight. I could only find the 4 Jabsco's. I haven't been able to locate the plumbing or the pump for the Bow Sac. Not sure if I'm looking in the wrong spots, or if it's not there. The more I look through this boat the more impressed I am by it. They sure did a nice job. Right down to the stuff you never see, such as the SS brackets the ballast pumps are installed on.

Chowder - Are you still liking the 16x15 with the XR7? There is a substantial difference in gear reduction between the XR7 and the H6. The XR7 is only running 1.48. Or at least that's what the ratio is on mine. Apparently the M235's were coming out of the factory with several different ratios last year. The dealers were having a hell of a time propping them for this reason. Not sure if this has been the case with the 257's. Either way, I've been working with ACME and my dealer to try to figure out the best prop for us. They'll swap out my 16x13 for whatever I want. When I talked to ACME today I was pretty sure I was running 1.48 gearing (which I confirmed tonight). He couldn't see that being the case as he said I should be seeing over 40 MPH with that prop and that gearing. I'll be talking to him again tomorrow now that I've confirmed my gearing. But he was saying with that ratio the 16x13 should be pretty close to the right prop for that boat. Still seems like overkill to me. That's why I ask about how you're liking the 16x15. I know the H6 guys say it's plenty. I believe the H6 is pushing 1.72:1 though. That difference makes it pretty hard to compare propping between those 2 engines.

wheels    151

If the boat was not factory ordered with the bow sac plug n play option you will not have anything. No pump, no lines, no bags. 

• Like 1

Darkside    248

Tsunami,

The difference in gearing and difference in power make the H6 and XR7 very comparable to a certain point.  Surfing 11 MPH very comparable,  trying to get 40mph not so much.

The H6 and 16x15 is a good combo,  the H6 does not have the power to spin the 16x15 up to redline when fully loaded,  4300 RPM is all she will achieve @2100' of elevation.

The 16x13 is full on freight train mode.  It will run full ballast no problem,  top end is 32 though with H6 on XR7 35-37 should be attainable.  

I think the 16x13 is too aggressive and 16x15 is not aggressive enough.  I am betting a 16x14 or 17x13 would be the sweet spot for the H6.  

257Tsunami    50

We were seeing 36MPH with the 16x13. If we held it longer I'm sure it would've bounced off the limiter around 37-38MPH. It sure didn't take long to get there. It was a crappy day and we were freezing, so there are a lot of details I forget from Saturday, but I believe we were around 3400 RPM at 11MPH with all ballasts full. The fellow I've been dealing with at ACME said basically the same thing you did...... if I end up confirming that I am in deed running a 1.48 ratio (which I did), the ideal prop would likely end up being the 16x14 or 17x13. I'll be talking to him again here today. Seems like a 17" diameter wouldn't be all that bad on this boat given it's weight and power. He seemed to think that might be ideal.

chowder2016    110
23 hours ago, 257Tsunami said:

Question for the 257 guys running the Bow Sac (Centre PnP as Centurion refers to it). Where is the pump for that bag? I was crawling around the boat again tonight. I could only find the 4 Jabsco's. I haven't been able to locate the plumbing or the pump for the Bow Sac. Not sure if I'm looking in the wrong spots, or if it's not there. The more I look through this boat the more impressed I am by it. They sure did a nice job. Right down to the stuff you never see, such as the SS brackets the ballast pumps are installed on.

Chowder - Are you still liking the 16x15 with the XR7? There is a substantial difference in gear reduction between the XR7 and the H6. The XR7 is only running 1.48. Or at least that's what the ratio is on mine. Apparently the M235's were coming out of the factory with several different ratios last year. The dealers were having a hell of a time propping them for this reason. Not sure if this has been the case with the 257's. Either way, I've been working with ACME and my dealer to try to figure out the best prop for us. They'll swap out my 16x13 for whatever I want. When I talked to ACME today I was pretty sure I was running 1.48 gearing (which I confirmed tonight). He couldn't see that being the case as he said I should be seeing over 40 MPH with that prop and that gearing. I'll be talking to him again tomorrow now that I've confirmed my gearing. But he was saying with that ratio the 16x13 should be pretty close to the right prop for that boat. Still seems like overkill to me. That's why I ask about how you're liking the 16x15. I know the H6 guys say it's plenty. I believe the H6 is pushing 1.72:1 though. That difference makes it pretty hard to compare propping between those 2 engines.

I'm loving everything about the XR7 and the. Prop I have. The only thing that sucks is filling up the gas tank lol.  I haven't taken it up to elevation yet. I have a Tahoe trip planned in August, I imagine at 5k plus feet is where the XR7 will really shine compared to the H6. As it stands now I have no complaints. I'm going out this weekend with stock ballast plus 1500 lbs of lead out in Lake Folsom. We will see how it handles that. But i don't feel the need to experiment with different props right now. 

• Like 3

257Tsunami    50
35 minutes ago, chowder2016 said:

I'm loving everything about the XR7 and the. Prop I have. The only thing that sucks is filling up the gas tank lol.  I haven't taken it up to elevation yet. I have a Tahoe trip planned in August, I imagine at 5k plus feet is where the XR7 will really shine compared to the H6. As it stands now I have no complaints. I'm going out this weekend with stock ballast plus 1500 lbs of lead out in Lake Folsom. We will see how it handles that. But i don't feel the need to experiment with different props right now. 

After my chat again with ACME today, he narrowed it down to 2 props for the 257 with the XR7. The first being the 16x15 (2829) which is what most on here are running. The second he recommended was the 3163. This is a 16.5x14 (.075 cup). This prop is new on the market. I guess when they were testing the 257, he gave 6 props to Centurion. The 3163 wasn't on the market at that point. Centurion came back and decided the 16x15 (2829) and 16x13 (2907) were the 2 best choices. The 16x13 obviously being the "High Altitude Prop". I think you'd need a lot of extra weight and a lot of bodies on board to need the 16x13 with the XR7. He was really interested to see how the 3163 would work on this boat. He thinks it would work really well with the XR7 at 1.48 in the 257. Couldn't guarantee it would work as good or better than the 2829 though. A 17" prop wasn't recommended with the tall gearing in the 257. So after all that I'm back to the 2829 and that's what the dealer is going to send me. Seems like Centurion got it right with the prop choices afterall.

Chowder - I'm interested to see how your 2829 works out with that extra weight this weekend. Do you have the rear trunk bag in yours?

Edited by 257Tsunami
  • Like 1

MistyCreek    3

I would like to publicly volunteer to test the 3163 prop on the xr7 powered 257 at 4500 and up for altitude.  Anybody from acme reading this???  Sounds very interesting. We have the 16x13 now and I'm very confident it's going to be unnecessarily aggressive, even at the higher altitudes we frequently play.  We picked up our 257 yesterday.  Very Excited to hit the lake in this beast.  

PicTapGo-Image.jpg

Edited by MistyCreek
  • Like 3

Fivebar2    176

MistyCreek enjoy! You're going to love it!!

luluzer    50

Beautiful boat Misty. Nice to see some female presence on this site as well. Enjoy the new ride!

InfinitySurf    302

very nice, love the silver flake...crazy how much freeboard those boats have

Fivebar2    176
1 hour ago, InfinitySurf said:

very nice, love the silver flake...crazy how much freeboard those boats have

Is it silver flake or gun metal?

Fivebar2    176
7 hours ago, MistyCreek said:

It's gun metal. 

I thought so, I have gunmetal on mine and love it.

chowder2016    110

Took the 257 out on Lake Folsom on Saturday.  I had 4 people on board, ram fill 100 / 95, center ballast at 50%, full PNP and full transom bag + 1500 lbs of lead underneath the rear seats.  11.4 mph, stinger at 90, cats 20, surf tab 85.

Wake was huge!  XR7 was doing 3100 RPM the whole time.

Im not sure how much of a difference another prop would make, but its safe to say I was pretty happy.

screen copy.jpg

• Like 3

Darkside    248

Chowder,

That is a  awesome wave!  I ran similar this weekend.   500 lead each rear corner,  full PNP, Full transom,  20% bow,  rams both full,  cats at +/-10, stinger at 45, wave was great and you could get clean transfers!   

Also, not that many seem to care,  but wakeboard wake is great with 500 in each corner,  so my lead only,  no stinger,  and 22.8 MPH.  Wake was big and clean!

Back to prop on H6.  16x15 seams to be a good fit.   Top speed bouncing off rev limiter is 36 @ 2100' of elevation.  Fully loaded surf RPM seams to be 3800-4100 depending on tab and stinger position.     Without any tabs deployed, and minimal stinger,  10.7 MPH is all she will do,  this tells me this Prop is at its limits,  it still works,  but may be slightly too much prop for the H6.  16.5 x 14 may be a sweet spot for H6 also.  16x13 is a touch too aggressive,  16 x 15 not aggressive enough,  so that one may be just right.   Although the 16x13 and 16x15 are both very good props on the 257 with H6.  

257Tsunami    50

Those are some good looking boats. And an awesome looking wave Chowder. 3100 RPM with that weight? Now I'm pumped I got the XR7. I'm surprised your having second thoughts about the 16x15 Darkside. Seemed like that prop was more than enough at first. Must've not had a chance to totally stretch it's legs until now.

On another note, I waxed the 257 tonight and got the 303 Aerospace on the vinyl. MY GOD I CAN'T GET OVER THE SIZE OF THIS BOAT. It's bloody huge. The freeboard is insane. There was a lot of fiberglass there to wax. And a heck of a lot more vinyl than my 22 MXZ. Not that I was expecting anything different, but there sure is a lot of boat there. I love this thing. We just need to get it out on the water now.

NW Boat Sports    232
8 hours ago, 257Tsunami said:

Those are some good looking boats. And an awesome looking wave Chowder. 3100 RPM with that weight? Now I'm pumped I got the XR7. I'm surprised your having second thoughts about the 16x15 Darkside. Seemed like that prop was more than enough at first. Must've not had a chance to totally stretch it's legs until now.

On another note, I waxed the 257 tonight and got the 303 Aerospace on the vinyl. MY GOD I CAN'T GET OVER THE SIZE OF THIS BOAT. It's bloody huge. The freeboard is insane. There was a lot of fiberglass there to wax. And a heck of a lot more vinyl than my 22 MXZ. Not that I was expecting anything different, but there sure is a lot of boat there. I love this thing. We just need to get it out on the water now.

You're telling me. A ski boat came in the other day, I had her detailed inside in out in one hour flat...

257Tsunami    50
8 hours ago, NW Boat Sports said:

You're telling me. A ski boat came in the other day, I had her detailed inside in out in one hour flat...

Makes me think I should go back to Skiing. Less of a hassle and less money. Mind you a lot more work once you're behind the boat.