257Tsunami

New Member, New to Centurion, New Ri257

257Tsunami    50

I'm just telling you what the manual says, and if you have any engine issues they will probably test your fuel. I run Torco in mine. It takes 32 ounces per 30 gallons of 91 octane to get the tank to 93 octane. I average about $500 per year on Torco octane boost. They actually did send a fuel sample to PCM on mine for the first O2 sensors that went out, because that was what PCM wanted to blame their failure on. My fuel came in above 93 octane thanks to the Torco so they replaced all 3 sets of O2 sensors. They verbally said Torco was an acceptable octane boost for the 550. Feel free to run whatever octane fuel you want, just be aware the manual requires minimum 93 octane. For all the other motors the manual recommends an octane and says reduced performance if running less, for the 550 they use the word required instead of recommended.

I'll have to keep that in mind for sure. Good to know. If that's the case I may have to keep a slip tank full of Torco in the truck this summer.

Darkside    248

I had the LSA in my last boat. It did just fine on 91 e10. Which is the best gas avail in AZ. You will be fine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

257Tsunami    50

Darkside. How did that new prop work out? Have you had a chance to run it yet?

257Tsunami    50

Also, what is the deal with the updated Ballast bags on the 257's? My understanding is that they updated to include more weight (200lbs each IIRC). I have to check with my dealer, but if ours doesn't have the updated bags than does Centurion just send you the updated bags for free? Which bags were included in the update? At what point did they start including the updated bags from the factory?

Edited by 257Tsunami

Darkside    248

257T, new prop worked very well. Lowered surf RPM down to 3600 or so. That was with everything full 5 adults 2 kids and 1000 pounds of lead on board. I was dragging at 24 at 3800 RPM. So very happy with the results. I would like a touch better cruise, but it's good enough I doubt I will do anything else

Fivebar2    176

I'll add that it had zero issue pulling rider up to surf speed quickly

Edited by Fivebar2
  • Like 1

257Tsunami    50

Darkside. I know you switched to a 16x15. What # Prop was it that you switched to? What was your top speed with it?

carguy79ta    67

hey Darkside x2 on the prop no. I will prolly switch mine since they haven't started building yet.

Darkside    248

The prop that is on there now is a 2829. 16x15 .075cup. I do believe there is still room to improve but this is a very good start. I did not do top speed test.

One other important observation. The 257 does not have a bow rise issue, it is a size issue. And really not a problem. They say a picture is worth 1000 words.

Like most I am used to low sleek wake boat lines. I was used to seeing right in front of the boat. However my bow was not very far out of the water, which made chilli dipping the bow a serious concern. The 257 is simply designed different. The bow sits out of the water, I have not been able to take any water over the bow, even with intentional bad driving.

I also noticed this weekend that overall visibility is very good, you just can't see the first few feet in front of the boat. I found myself standing coming back to the rider, so could see the near field. Far field, which is your concern whole pulling a rider is not an issue. I also did find myself standing while navigating through debris.

On that note...log 1...fivebar 0.... he hit a log while riding a surfboard....no harm to anyone or anything. 69ac2f4096b99e60a06a31361fa58ea5.jpg76225c33a9908c5f3dcb3e6088da4870.jpg

Also, what is the deal with the updated Ballast bags on the 257's? My understanding is that they updated to include more weight (200lbs each IIRC). I have to check with my dealer, but if ours doesn't have the updated bags than does Centurion just send you the updated bags for free? Which bags were included in the update? At what point did they start including the updated bags from the factory?

They now install the 257s with the bigger bags. If you ordered it early you didn't get the bags, just contact your dealer and they will order and switch it out for you for FREE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fivebar2    176

That is an experience that I would prefer not to have happen again :)

257Tsunami    50

They now install the 257s with the bigger bags. If you ordered it early you didn't get the bags, just contact your dealer and they will order and switch it out for you for FREE. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect. Thanks

257Tsunami    50

Darkside. The Silver Surfer was still one hell of a BA looking boat. Love it. I'm a huge fan of Red/Silver so that might explain it. Big difference in how high the bows sit in those pics. The 257 is a beast.

I would think that with my gearing I should have no issues seeing 40MPH with that prop. I'll never go that fast but it's a good benchmark for figuring out where my RPM's will be cruising around 28MPH.

Edited by 257Tsunami

chowder2016    110
Darkside. The Silver Surfer was still one hell of a BA looking boat. Love it. I'm a huge fan of Red/Silver so that might explain it. Big difference in how high the bows sit in those pics. The 257 is a beast.

I would think that with my gearing I should have no issues seeing 40MPH with that prop. I'll never go that fast but it's a good benchmark for figuring out where my RPM's will be cruising around 28MPH.

I max out at about 38mph, and that is red lining it with 3 people on board.

At about 28 mph 3800 rpm at sea level

InfinitySurf    302

The love the look of that 257. The freeboard is incredible. High bow would not bother me either and at rest, you can see its designed that way like you said. I have taken a few rollers over the bow in my boat and it sucks! Still think when I upgrade tho it will be to a 237 since you have the wide front. Even tho my 244 is technically a foot longer, i bet the 237 has more room than mine does and that boat is plenty for me....and I have zero wish to have 3 axle trailer. Awesome boat tho, if I didn't trailer I may do it. Maybe I will be in my lakehouse when I upgrade in summer of 2019. Got a brand new interior coming for my boat this fall and love the boat, so gonna keep it this year and next before I trade up...I would say all bugs should be worked out of the RI's by then too.

257Tsunami    50

I max out at about 38mph, and that is red lining it with 3 people on board. At about 28 mph 3800 rpm at sea level Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that with the 16x15? You have the XR7 correct?

chowder2016    110

I max out at about 38mph, and that is red lining it with 3 people on board. At about 28 mph 3800 rpm at sea level Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that with the 16x15? You have the XR7 correct?

Yes on the XR7 and I forget which prop is in I'll double check this weekend. Coming from H5 engine on the 237 and an Indmar 350 on my 22MXZ it's amazing how little effort it takes the XR7 to get up to surf speed fully sacked out. It's zero effort for the engine. I'm pretty sure you could load it up with another 1000 lbs of lead and barely see it struggle. Even with 6-8 people on board.

On my 22MXZ it would take about 30 seconds to get up to speed and only if you had enough bow weight to keep it level. If the rear sank to low there was no way it would get up to 10.5 mph.

Same goes for the H5 on the 237. It could barely get up to speed fully sacked out with no additional lead.

• Like 2

Darkside    248

With h6 fully loaded, surf speed was really easy and quick. 11.8 no problems at all. So with the 550 hour gonna have power for days

Edited by Darkside