257Tsunami

New Member, New to Centurion, New Ri257

257Tsunami    50

Lugging is essentially overloading the engine to a point where it can't get the RPM's into the optimal operating range with the right amount of throttle. A bunch of you guys have the right idea. Every engine has an optimum operating range. This is generally the range in where you make your peak torque. You want to run within that range when loading up the engine. Lugging creates extra stress on your rings, etc. On certain engines it will create high EGT's (Exhaust Gas Temperatures) which can melt your pistons, overheat the engine, and so on. This is especially important to pay attention to on any engine with a turbo. In our situations we'd be lugging the engine if we were surfing heavy and RPM's were too low and you heard that deep moan from the engine. Might look good because your RPM's are only 2500, but in actuality you're killing your engine and burning more fuel than necessary. Install a prop that puts you at 3000 RPM and suddenly you're using 25% less throttle while surfing and burning far less fuel, eventhough your RPM's are higher. Engine load usually dictates your fuel consumption, not necessarily RPM's. If your engine makes it's peak torque at 3500 RPM's, the idea is to get to 3500 RPM's using the least amount of throttle possible. There are other factors that come into play depending one what your end goal is with the said engine. Lugging is exactly what causes fouled O2 sensors. You are pouring fuel to the cylinders with excessive throttle but getting an incomplete burn. You can tell you're lugging your engine just by the sound it makes. I'm sure I'm forgetting important details to bring this all home and make it easier to understand. But I'm going to go home, crack open a beer, and make XR7 noises in my bathtub and dream about summer.

Thanks all for the warm welcomes. Chowder - Sorry to hear about your XR7 man. That is a huge downer. I hope I don't have the same experience. Sounds like guys are having the exact same issues with their 575's in their M235's on the Malibu Forum.

• Like 1

Bawshogg    77

I wish I had more info for ya, BUT I live in the shittiest part of the earth and the weather sucks balls. Rains constantly and hardly gets above 60 degrees for some reason this year.

257Tsunami    50

I wish I had more info for ya, BUT I live in the shittiest part of the earth and the weather sucks balls. Rains constantly and hardly gets above 60 degrees for some reason this year.

Did you get the H6 or the XR7 Bawshogg? I couldn't remember if you mentioned over on the "other" forum.

Bawshogg    77

H6. I've driven and ridden behind the XR7.. you should be more than happy with it. Surfs effortlessly at 3200 rpm. Super quite and smooth.

I went back and fourth between the two and was advised for my area and use H6 was plenty. Guess we will have to see.....IF IT WOULD STOP F'N RAINING for more than a few hours!!!

I know the XR7 is 1.55 ratio and the H6 is 1.72 trans ratio, so there is some difference there . The XR7 should be able to turn a bigger wheel at lower RPM.

257Tsunami    50

All sources have led me to believe the H6 is plenty on these boats. The XR7 was what was available to me. If I wanted to order the H6 it would be a 2018 order. I'm not convinced there will be a ton of difference between the H6 and XR7 at surf speeds given the difference in gearing. I'll likely see all of my gains on the top end. Lower RPM's cruising at 25-30MPH. I'm curious to see the difference in the H6 vs. the XR7 when it comes to fuel consumption given that the XR7 utilizes older technology.

Fivebar2    176

I did a lot of research on the fuel consumption prior to making my decision. According to PCM and Cwnturion Engineering they will get equivalent fuel economy. That being said the cost of premium fuel is more expensive.

volzalum    280

I did a lot of research on the fuel consumption prior to making my decision. According to PCM and Cwnturion Engineering they will get equivalent fuel economy. That being said the cost of premium fuel is more expensive.

And you will most likely need fuel additive to get to the warranty required 93 octane. 91 octane is all I can get at pumps here, and usually 87 octane when fueling on the water. I keep lots of octane boost race additive to keep my octane at the minimum levels.

Jake707    171

Where the hell do you live haha

Jake707    171

Can someone layout for us poor folks the rough specs or differences between the H6 and XR7 (which I cant help thinking of the 67 cougar XR7 a friend of mine had in high school)

Darkside    248

H6 is a 6.2L Direct injection engine 450HP 465 TQ. Gets paired with 1.72:1 tranny

XR7 is 6.2L Super Charged engine (Cadillac CTS-V) 575 HP 550 TQ Gets paired with 1.48:1 tranny.

So at the prop torque is almost identical, however the XR7 will run lower RPM (due to tranny ratio) for similar speeds. This also translates to higher top speed and cruise speed

Jake707    171

Nice. Thanks Dark. Im assuming it would be a roots style blower and not a centrifugal offset since space is limited?

Both seem like fairly powerful motors but a supercharger would def help with the hole shot.

Darkside    248

Actually should make virtually zero difference in hole shot! Where it will make the biggest difference is at altitude and cruising speeds. Your RPM will also be lower while surfing/boarding.

Because of the difference in tranny ratio, the TQ at the prop is virtually identical. TQ is where you get your hole shot. 465 x1.72 = 799.8 550 x 1.48 = 814. So less than 2% difference.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

257Tsunami    50

We ONLY have Premium at our dock. So no worries there. I had to run it in my L96 when I didn't have to. :thumbdown:

chowder2016    110

That really sucks Chowder, I think anyone would be upset in your position and especially considering it was not by anything whatsoever that you did. Not to mention the coin you threw down for such a beast. Hopefully the below gets you the info you are looking for (prefer you do not mention me as I do not want to get on their bad side)....currently dealing with a couple warranty issues, though I must say, they have been very fair with me and I am 100% happy with the service I have received. I hope that you get the same. Good luck bro

Patty Jones...who I believe is a manager there and is over warranty (I do not know this for sure....just an assumption)

pjones@centurion-supreme.com

Nicole Turpin...Very fair lady who handles warranty issues

nturpin@centurion-supreme.com

209-205-2188...direct number

My guess is that one of these 2 ladies is who you need to speak too, since I would assume this is a warranty issue.

Nicole has been super responsive and awesome in all my dealings with her. Highly recommend her.

Below is the main number for Fineline....in case you choose to ask who to speak to about that, since I am only assuming the above statement

209-384-0255

Thanks. I kept your name off of it, but I am in touch with Patty now and looks like I might be able to go surfing tomorrow. Hopefully I don't get stranded in the middle of the delta....

Darkside    248

Chowder, that is good you may make it out tomorrow. Sad you have been banning issues, hopefully that's all you ever have

chowder2016    110

Chowder, that is good you may make it out tomorrow. Sad you have been banning issues, hopefully that's all you ever have

Yeah, can't wait to get back out. Also my upgraded rear PNP sacks supposedly shipped out already as well. So definitely excited to get an extra 400 pounds of ballast for free..although tomorrow looks like we are gonna have 14 people on the boat so Im not sure I would need the extra weight tomorrow. Normally we only run 4-6 deep so this is gonna be interesting.

carguy79ta    67

sounds like a killer wave....def want to see pics and vids of that wave. full ballast plus 14 crew=Awesome!

volzalum    280

We ONLY have Premium at our dock. So no worries there. I had to run it in my L96 when I didn't have to. :thumbdown:

Make sure it is minimum 93 octane premium. As I said, around here in Washington State, I can only find 91 octane premium so I still have to put octane boost in the premium gas I get.

257Tsunami    50

Make sure it is minimum 93 octane premium. As I said, around here in Washington State, I can only find 91 octane premium so I still have to put octane boost in the premium gas I get.

Have you ever ran 91 without your Octane Boost? What was the result? I would think you'd need to run a heck of a lot of Octane Boost in a tank that size in order to make a noticeable difference.

Most of the guys at our dock are running XR7's, LSA's, and 575's. Not one of them have ever had an issue. 93 isn't as easy to find up here. I'd be willing to bet 90% of the guys up here running XR7's are running 91 at best. Will the engine pull timing with 91? Possibly. I'd be surprised though. If memory serves me, Canadian Fuel and American Fuel are spec'd slightly different. I could be wrong on that though. Pretty sure you guys run a lot more ethanol in your fuel.

Edited by 257Tsunami

volzalum    280

I'm just telling you what the manual says, and if you have any engine issues they will probably test your fuel. I run Torco in mine. It takes 32 ounces per 30 gallons of 91 octane to get the tank to 93 octane. I average about $500 per year on Torco octane boost. They actually did send a fuel sample to PCM on mine for the first O2 sensors that went out, because that was what PCM wanted to blame their failure on. My fuel came in above 93 octane thanks to the Torco so they replaced all 3 sets of O2 sensors. They verbally said Torco was an acceptable octane boost for the 550. Feel free to run whatever octane fuel you want, just be aware the manual requires minimum 93 octane. For all the other motors the manual recommends an octane and says reduced performance if running less, for the 550 they use the word required instead of recommended.

Edited by volzalum