257Tsunami

New Member, New to Centurion, New Ri257

257Tsunami    50

Hi Gang,

Thought I'd take a moment to introduce myself. We just recently purchased a 2017 Ri257. We haven't picked the boat up yet. We're still waiting for the ice to melt out in the lake by our dealer so we can do our Lake Test. We're coming from a 22 MXZ. Loved the boat but it wasn't the ultimate surf machine. We surf 99% of the time so we're pretty stoked to get behind the 257. We weren't even talking about a new boat this year but the deal was right and we got a lot of money for our trade so we made the jump. We started out looking at G's and Malibu's. We took a quick look at a Centurion one day and were very impressed with the new Ri's. We weren't blown away with the overall feel of the new Malibu's. One thing led to the next and here we are. If you told us 2 months ago that we'd be in a Centurion this summer we would've called you a liar. Huge props to Centurion. You can really see the CC influence in these Ri's. We're looking forward to getting out on the water (still a few weeks yet) and getting the beast dialed in. It'll be great to bounce ideas off fellow Ri owners and work with the new 257 owners this year to figure out what these things can do. The boat is a full load with the XR7 550 and sits on a Boatmate trailer.

Question for you 257 boys. I'm trying to figure out what prop will be suitable for us with the XR7. I can't see us adding any more weight than the factory PnP. The boat comes with the "Surf Prop". I'm not even sure what prop that is. Still waiting for confirmation on that. Maybe somebody here can enlighten me. We do a lot of cruising as our lake is 90 miles long. It'd be nice to maintain what we can for top end. We don't plan to cruise at 35 MPH, but keeping the RPM's down at 25-30MPH would be nice. At the same time we don't want to lug the engine too hard when surfing as that will cause it's share of issues as well. So we're looking for a happy median. FWIW we don't usually run with a large crew (makes the 257 seem like overkill for us). Not sure how many guys out there have had a chance to experiment with propping on a 257 with the XR7. We generally run at 2400' of elevation but might rarely go up to 3600'.

InfinitySurf    302

Congrats on a badass boat. I am sure the 257 owners will chime in soon. In meantime, there are a couple threads started not long ago on the prop subject and sounds like they are testing that very subject. Enjoy the boat, I crawled thru some RI's the other day as I plan to trade into an RI next year. I will personally go with the 237 just cause its the size I want....but there is no doubt the 257 is incredible. Link below will give you some of the answers you are looking for

Search for...."257 tips, hints and questions"....(pasted link below for you)

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php/topic/11894-257-tips-hints-and-questions/

257Tsunami    50

Congrats on a badass boat. I am sure the 257 owners will chime in soon. In meantime, there are a couple threads started not long ago on the prop subject and sounds like they are testing that very subject. Enjoy the boat, I crawled thru some RI's the other day as I plan to trade into an RI next year. I will personally go with the 237 just cause its the size I want....but there is no doubt the 257 is incredible. Link below will give you some of the answers you are looking for

Search for...."257 tips, hints and questions"....(pasted link below for you)

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php/topic/11894-257-tips-hints-and-questions/

Thanks for the feedback. I've been following those posts. Seems like all feedback is on the H6. Haven't been able to find much on the XR7. Truth be told, with the higher gearing on the H6 there probably won't be a lot of difference in requirements for a proper surf prop. There aren't a lot of these 257's out there, and even less have been in the water as of yet. So I'm not expecting to find much on this topic at this point. A lot of things will be trial and error on these boats this year. It's all good as I enjoy figuring all of these things out.

Edited by 257Tsunami

Fivebar2    176

Welcome. Mine goes in the water May 1. Mine has the H6 as I moor mine and there is no premium fuel and I am at sea level so the xr7 wasn't necessary. You're going to love it!! Darkside will chime in as he has been one of the few to actually put hours on it.

Darkside    248

Welcome to the crew, glad to see they got you in. You will see a lot of familiar folks here, wheels, Baws, carguy, myself, just to name a few.

I suspect you are WAY overpropped. The surf prop is 16x13, I am at 1800 and it is too much prop on the H6, so with 550 you gonna need a taller prop. I just put a 16x15 on mine, and 5bar is such a giver, he flew all the way from Portland to help me test it this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Fivebar2    176

Hahaha absolutely darkside! Anytime I can help out.

wheels    151

Congrats and welcome to the new side. I would imagine you are gonna want the 16x15 prop like darkside said for your application. I'm sure wizard will have no problem setting you up with the right prop.

wheels    151

Congrats and welcome to the new side. I would imagine you are gonna want the 16x15 prop like darkside said for your application. I'm sure wizard will have no problem setting you up with the right prop.

257Tsunami    50

Welcome to the crew, glad to see they got you in. You will see a lot of familiar folks here, wheels, Baws, carguy, myself, just to name a few. I suspect you are WAY overpropped. The surf prop is 16x13, I am at 1800 and it is too much prop on the H6, so with 550 you gonna need a taller prop. I just put a 16x15 on mine, and 5bar is such a giver, he flew all the way from Portland to help me test it this weekend. Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks Darkside. Wasn't sure if the Surf prop was the same for the XR7. 13" is definitely overkill. I'll see what's on it and try it out during the lake test. If we need to changeup We can always swap them out that day. What are you seeing for top end with the 15"? Are you getting much lugging when surfing?

Gavino    10

Congrats 257Tsunami. I'm also waiting for the ice to break to pick up my Ri. Which 257 did you get?

InfinitySurf    302

I thought an engine could only "lug"...if it was a manual and it was not possible on an automatic like a boat engine. Doesn't that term refer to low rpm shifts (in manual) where it starts knocking cause shift was not done at high enough rpm? My understanding was that "lugging" was running an engine at an rpm that is too low for the engine to run smoothly.

Perhaps it means something else in boat terms and I am wrong

Jake707    171

Do the new boats have more than one gear? My Elite has one speed so you can absolutely lug it if the weight is to much or the prop is wrong. I forgot to take of our suckgate one time when going to travel across the lake and it just didn't want to go until it eventually popped off and I realized what was going on. The motor would just stay in the low RPMs not really gaining no matter how much throttle I give it. That is my definition of lugging the motor, could be wrong but either way I know engines have powerbands and really should only have a load put on them in those powerbands otherwise it is way too much long term stress on the motor.

volzalum    280

My 2015 FS44 with 550 did have some lugging issues with the second prop the factory put on. The first prop I turned 3250 rpm at surf speed. The smaller prop put on after gelcoat repair turned at 2850 rpm at surf speeds. They have sent me a 3rd prop to try this season, so I do not know if issue is corrected yet or not. The lugging on the 550 caused me to go through 3 sets of O2 sensors last season. When the O2 sensors goes, the fuel consumption triples. Mine would go from 5 gph to less 2 gph. The 550 likes to be run above 3200 rpm, and anything lower will cause engine troubles.

• Like 1

Darkside    248
My 2015 FS44 with 550 did have some lugging issues with the second prop the factory put on. The first prop I turned 3250 rpm at surf speed. The smaller prop put on after gelcoat repair turned at 2850 rpm at surf speeds. They have sent me a 3rd prop to try this season, so I do not know if issue is corrected yet or not. The lugging on the 550 caused me to go through 3 sets of O2 sensors last season. When the O2 sensors goes, the fuel consumption triples. Mine would go from 5 gph to less 2 gph. The 550 likes to be run above 3200 rpm, and anything lower will cause engine troubles.

This, lower RPM is not always a good thing. The ECM is programmed to "need" a certain level of RPM for emissions, etc to work properly.

Thus fouling O2 sensors etc.

On the 16x15 I will report back after the trial. Just swapped it out, and haven't tried it yet. I will have a light load on Friday and a Full boat on Saturday. So if she handles Saturday without issue, I am gonna be a happy camper.

I keep 1000 pounds of lead on board as I normally have very small crew. Split 350 each rear side, and 300 in bow. So empty is never truly empty.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jake707    171

I would imagine it is just like my old 2 stroke dirt bike riding days. If you aren't on the pipe, meaning on the throttle in the powerband, it loads up the spark plug with oil and fouls the plug. At low RPMs under a load you aren't burning gas efficiently causing all that unburned crap to build up in the O2 sensor and foul it out.

volzalum    280

I would imagine it is just like my old 2 stroke dirt bike riding days. If you aren't on the pipe, meaning on the throttle in the powerband, it loads up the spark plug with oil and fouls the plug. At low RPMs under a load you aren't burning gas efficiently causing all that unburned crap to build up in the O2 sensor and foul it out.

That's my thoughts as well. It took lots of back and forth with the Fineline Engineers to get them to understand what I think was happening, but I will know in the next few weeks if the prop gets my RPM in an acceptable band. And then should know within another few weeks if the O2 sensors stay working.

chowder2016    110

Tsunami, congrats.

I have the XR7, not to scare you but mine has been in the shop for 3 weeks. Apparently they did not bleed the lines for the heater core, make sure to have your dealer double check that if you have the IceBreaker package. Also one of the thermostats was installed backwards, so the engine did not know it was over heating. There was a coolant leak in the system that leaked coolant into the bilge. And when the engine overheated it melted the "flapper thingy" in the exhaust and the exhaust line going into the silent stinger plate.

It has been 3 weeks now and I still don't have my boat back. Missed out on 3 weekends of 75 degree weather and Im pissed about it. Make sure you dealer checks everything with a fine tooth comb, cuz my XR7 was basically a complete botch job from the factory.

Anybody know who I can complain to at Centurion? Maybe they can pay my boat payment for this month since I haven't been able to use it all.

Im sure once its all fixed its gonna be great, but I can't provide you with much input on settings and props and such since I only had 4 hours on it before it went down the pooper.

InfinitySurf    302

That really sucks Chowder, I think anyone would be upset in your position and especially considering it was not by anything whatsoever that you did. Not to mention the coin you threw down for such a beast. Hopefully the below gets you the info you are looking for (prefer you do not mention me as I do not want to get on their bad side)....currently dealing with a couple warranty issues, though I must say, they have been very fair with me and I am 100% happy with the service I have received. I hope that you get the same. Good luck bro

Patty Jones...who I believe is a manager there and is over warranty (I do not know this for sure....just an assumption)

pjones@centurion-supreme.com

Nicole Turpin...Very fair lady who handles warranty issues

nturpin@centurion-supreme.com

209-205-2188...direct number

My guess is that one of these 2 ladies is who you need to speak too, since I would assume this is a warranty issue.

Nicole has been super responsive and awesome in all my dealings with her. Highly recommend her.

Below is the main number for Fineline....in case you choose to ask who to speak to about that, since I am only assuming the above statement

209-384-0255

• Like 1