Jake707    171

Ya I love the tint........ 90% might be a little excessive but that with the bimini sure keeps the sun out on those hot days with little ones running around

post-7643-0-58502200-1492618970_thumb.jpg

post-7643-0-53017000-1492618989_thumb.jpg

stoked    1,039

I'm pretty certain that is 5%

• Like 1

InfinitySurf    302

The lower the percentage, the darker it is. 35% is what is "legal" in most states for a vehicle. That I know of...there is no regulation on a boat.

I was originally gonna go with 20%, but they talked me into having 5% installed (very dark)...and it is harder to see out of it unless bright and sunny out when you are sitting down fully in chair, but since I usually look over the windshield and have the seat bolster up, that does not bother me one bit. It also does seem to keep boat a little cooler in tandem with my large bimini top

I did not remove my glass to tint...and they did tell me there would be a slight "line" around the perimeter where they cut tint. However, the line was so faint I could not even tell...and they said a fix for that is after it dries for a week, use a permanent black marker to color it in. Mine turned out so good I doubt I will do that. Maybe that is why some people are paying so much money to have tint done, but holy crap that feels like a rip off to pay $500 for something that takes them 2hrs at most. I paid only 250 AND got a lifetime warranty on material and labor. I did tell them I would refer them since they are about an hour from the big lakes in this area so dont get a lot of boat business...but think a lot of people would be willing to make that drive for the quality of work and price.

I dont think many of the members here are on the East Coast tho. If anyone is and is interested....It is LUX Tinting out of Hickory, NC. I am also gonna have them do my wifes new car soon. They have a ceramic tint that block a lot of the heat and since her car is dark colored with black leather, it gets hot. They showed me the difference with a heat lamp and it seemed to block 75% of the heat and cost was only like $50 higher.

ReSession    165

The lower the percentage, the darker it is. 35% is what is "legal" in most states for a vehicle. That I know of...there is no regulation on a boat.

I was originally gonna go with 20%, but they talked me into having 5% installed (very dark)...and it is harder to see out of it unless bright and sunny out when you are sitting down fully in chair, but since I usually look over the windshield and have the seat bolster up, that does not bother me one bit. It also does seem to keep boat a little cooler in tandem with my large bimini top

I did not remove my glass to tint...and they did tell me there would be a slight "line" around the perimeter where they cut tint. However, the line was so faint I could not even tell...and they said a fix for that is after it dries for a week, use a permanent black marker to color it in. Mine turned out so good I doubt I will do that. Maybe that is why some people are paying so much money to have tint done, but holy crap that feels like a rip off to pay $500 for something that takes them 2hrs at most. I paid only 250 AND got a lifetime warranty on material and labor. I did tell them I would refer them since they are about an hour from the big lakes in this area so dont get a lot of boat business...but think a lot of people would be willing to make that drive for the quality of work and price.

I dont think many of the members here are on the East Coast tho. If anyone is and is interested....It is LUX Tinting out of Hickory, NC. I am also gonna have them do my wifes new car soon. They have a ceramic tint that block a lot of the heat and since her car is dark colored with black leather, it gets hot. They showed me the difference with a heat lamp and it seemed to block 75% of the heat and cost was only like $50 higher.

Another option for that small gap is using some black 1/4" automotive vinyl pinstriping tape - https://www.amazon.com/Oracal-651-Vinyl-Pinstriping-Tape/dp/B01LXQLG9K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492619922&sr=8-1&keywords=black+pinstriping

CO Surfer    289

I went all out on mine. 100%!

post-7344-0-58174400-1492649956_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

carguy79ta    67

I think tinting looks awesome...I just have problems seeing thru it...57yo. eyes ...

InfinitySurf    302

When you go dark...like a 5%, it is harder to see out of it unless a really bright day and if sun is behind you, its even worse. 95% of the time tho, I am sitting on the bolster and looking over the windshield. I just feel safer driving that way cause your field of vision is so much better and I boat on really busy lakes with a bunch of dumb-donkeys that have no clue how to drive, so i drive the boat like a do a motorcycle...constantly expecting some idiot to try to ram me or run me or my rider over.

Nothing pisses me off more than someone who will drive directly behind you (even if 200ft) while pulling a tube or wakeboard. How brainless can you be, if rider falls, they would be in direct path of boat and all it takes if several seconds of not paying attention when doing 20-25mph. I always slow down or pull out of way when an idiot does that, someone has to be the smart one (and its not like this is a narrow river, in some places this lake is 1/4 mile wide and has 520 miles of shoreline. I have seen some real fools on our lake and there is usually a fatality each year on Lake Norman. Actually last 4th of July....a girl got killed cause some fool was driving behind them while wakeboarding, she fell and he ran her right over with his pontoon, cut her up badly. She made it to hospital and then died....and of course the fool was drunk too. Someone did that to my kid, I would gladly go to jail for rest of my life for taking their life. Same day on another lake....3-4 people were driving full speed while drunk in the dark. Hit rocks, threw them all out of boat and they all died....crazy. I could TRY and still not be that stupid

stoked    1,039

When you go dark...like a 5%, it is harder to see out of it unless a really bright day and if sun is behind you, its even worse. 95% of the time tho, I am sitting on the bolster and looking over the windshield. I just feel safer driving that way cause your field of vision is so much better and I boat on really busy lakes with a bunch of dumb-donkeys that have no clue how to drive, so i drive the boat like a do a motorcycle...constantly expecting some idiot to try to ram me or run me or my rider over.

Nothing pisses me off more than someone who will drive directly behind you (even if 200ft) while pulling a tube or wakeboard. How brainless can you be, if rider falls, they would be in direct path of boat and all it takes if several seconds of not paying attention when doing 20-25mph. I always slow down or pull out of way when an idiot does that, someone has to be the smart one (and its not like this is a narrow river, in some places this lake is 1/4 mile wide and has 520 miles of shoreline. I have seen some real fools on our lake and there is usually a fatality each year on Lake Norman. Actually last 4th of July....a girl got killed cause some fool was driving behind them while wakeboarding, she fell and he ran her right over with his pontoon, cut her up badly. She made it to hospital and then died....and of course the fool was drunk too. Someone did that to my kid, I would gladly go to jail for rest of my life for taking their life. Same day on another lake....3-4 people were driving full speed while drunk in the dark. Hit rocks, threw them all out of boat and they all died....crazy. I could TRY and still not be that stupid

THIS is exactly why I put a WS-420 in, my PA system has blared multiple 4 letter words

• Like 1

Darkside    248

We had this happen several times yesterday. I wad staying fairly close to shore, yet people passed between us and shore several times. I don't get it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

InfinitySurf    302

The most messed up part of it...is that usually when they do something stupid and crash or cause a crash, its OTHER people that get hurt and pay the price.

But I digress and derail the thread, just a touchy subject for me since I have young daughters and this papa bear will do anything in this world to protect them from fools and idiot.

• Like 2

DrNate    426

post-1251-0-89157100-1493051391_thumb.jpg

Can you guys tell me about what percentage this is? It came with the boat. I initially thought window tint on a boat was stupid but after having it I would never be without it! On hot Texas days it acts like an extra bimini top for the cockpit area and cools it quite a bit. I will say that I would not want the 5% that some of you do because it would be difficult to see through it but a lighter tint like mine would be good for the vast majority I would think

Darkside    248

I would guess about 20%. I really need to tint mine also. It's starting to get warm and I am tucked into the helm more than I was on previous boats. That big freaking windshield really magnifies the heat!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

257Tsunami    50

I would guess about 20%. I really need to tint mine also. It's starting to get warm and I am tucked into the helm more than I was on previous boats. That big freaking windshield really magnifies the heat! Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Heat factor aside, can you imagine what you're 257 would look like with tint? That colour scheme would be an excellent candidate for tint. Get 'er done. I can't believe you guys are already talking about tint to keep the heat out. Send some of that heat this direction. It's snowing here today. :crybaby:

Edited by 257Tsunami
  • Like 1

InfinitySurf    302

It looks more like 35% to me...which is the "legal" max here in NC.

Darkside....you can get a "ceramic" tint (Adds about $50 to the material costs)....but besides blocking UV, it also blocks a large percentage of heat coming thru it. I didnt put the ceramic on my boat and kindof wish I did. After they installed it...they showed it to me by putting different tints in front of a heat lamp, the difference of heat coming thru it was impressive, would say about a 70% reduction. I am gonna have it installed on wifes car cause its dark color, with black leather. they say it makes a big difference. Thought I would mention it cause you already have a dark boat...tint will look awesome.

My boat is black....I love the color, the downsides are that its hot as hell in summer and its harder to keep looking clean and water spots show up easier. I have to spray it after every use to keep it looking shiny. When its clean tho, its best looking boat out there, IMO

• Like 2

truekaotik    458

http://www.centurioncrew.com/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif IMG_0424.JPG

Can you guys tell me about what percentage this is? It came with the boat. I initially thought window tint on a boat was stupid but after having it I would never be without it! On hot Texas days it acts like an extra bimini top for the cockpit area and cools it quite a bit. I will say that I would not want the 5% that some of you do because it would be difficult to see through it but a lighter tint like mine would be good for the vast majority I would think

Looks like

http://www.centurioncrew.com/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif IMG_0424.JPG

Honestly a pic is hard to determine the percentage. It could be 20 or 35 but I'm guessing 20 by the sunshine and white background.

There is no legal max for boats, that only refers to passenger vehicles..

• Like 1

truekaotik    458

It may of take them 2 hours to tint the glass (if that's what they told you) but they are not removing it and re installing it either.. and it's gapped tint to boot... Most people do not want a gap running the edge of there tint on a $80,000 plus boat and pay for that service. The Film Brand also plays a HUGE roll in quality not to mention demographics.. Thats awesome you got it tinted for $250 and your happy, we re tint those kind of jobs all the time. Wehave 20-30 boats go through here a season that are happy to pay for high end service and quality. Some want to pay for that and some don't...

InfinitySurf    302

You cannot see the gap, they just warned me that it may happen, at least they told me upfront. They obviously took their time and did a fantastic job. I also told them upfront that if the job was not perfect, they would be re-doing it. I did check into quality of tint before I took my boat there, but thanks for warning me cause I may have had to bring my boat to Indiana to get it redone. Sounds like you assume cause price was reasonable, the job will be crappy? Perhaps I am not a person that would meet your high standards since you insinuate that I didn't want to pay for "high end quality and service"....or maybe that just makes me smarter than most since I now have an extra $250 to get some other upgrade I want. Expensive does not always equal quality.

$250 is plenty fair for a good quality tint job in my situation. They in fact said they would do it for $200 (I gave them $250) as they are trying to grow their business and wanted referrals...isn't that the American Dream, start from nothing and end up the kingpin? If you gotta remove glass that is a different story. I don't know how much time they had into it, I guessed...but they did a perfect job and I have had no less than 15 vehicles and 4 boats tinted in my life, as I don't own anything with glass that does not get tinted. So I am not a noob at this and know what a quality job looks like. I see 35% all the time (hence the reference to it being the legal percentage here) so only provided that for reference. Obviously you do it for a living, perhaps your eyes are better than mine.

My personal opinion is that most shops....see a 100k plus boat and figure the owner will pay whatever they quote. Why.... cause owner wants to act like money is nothing to them, even if they are mortgaged to the hilt and actually "own", nothing, cause bank owns the title...I could personally care less about what others think of me "being cheap" and because I am like that, is probably why I don't have a loan on mine. If you can get that much money for tint, more power to you. I own a business too and sometimes I gouge people to support my boating habits too, its the nasty circle of life...then again, sometimes I give it away for free. All depends on how I feel about that person. Are they happy if they cannot find a better price, sure! Some even thank me as i pocket 100% profit. If I had gotten the tint done where I live and where all the other $100k+ boats are with the fancy homes, I am sure they would have quoted me double that price and I would have gotten the same quality job. I have no problem living in a palace while shopping in the ghetto acting like a pauper. Takes all kinds. Why don't you throw some more crap at me, I got a big shovel and love throwing it back! Hopefully, someone will even get a laugh out of this, I know I had several while reading and writing.

Nick213    583

Let's see it, Post some pic's!

So since they didn't remove the windows from the frame I'm assuming they tinted the outside of the windows. In that case what happens when your cover rubs against the tint.....

Edited by Nick213