Sign in to follow this  
Akeap

Ri217 - factory ballast gph?

Akeap    0

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has experience with an RI217 on standard ballast with how much fuel at around sea level per hour might be used?

I know there are many variables to consider - altitude/air temp etc but roughly a figure for when wakeboarding and wakesurfing.

I think it's a 64 gallon tank stock.

Thanks

The reason I ask is it be used at a club and it won't be converted to LPG for a couple of months and the tows are paid by customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheels    151

Around 6 gph. I will bite, converting to lpg?

InfinitySurf    302

On my 2014 SV244....I have the PCM ZR409 engine. Loaded down with ballast and surfing at about 3200rpms, I use an average of 4-5 GALLONS per hour which in my opinion is very good.

Its all gonna depend on the boat you use, the size engine it has, the rpms of surfing/running, etc. From what I have read on other boats....pretty much the BEST you will ever get is about 4gph, but I have also heard some boats burn up to 8-10gph. Also depends on if you are running a suck gate and how much drag there is. With Malibu and Axis, that have that "wedge"....those burn a lot more. A Tige or Centurion is gonna do better due to shape of hull.

Anyway, that is my experience on my Centurion which I have been tracking. Last 10hrs it has been a consistent 4gph and that includes half the time running 25-30mph at more like 4000-4200rpm since its still chilly to surf, so been doing some cruising as well. Biggest reason I track it is cause statistically, fuel gauges in boats are not very accurate cause you are listing or riding bow high. I have a 72 gallon talk and wanted to know roughly how many hours I would get out of full tank so I did not risk running it dry...but then just got in habit of tracking how many hours I have on engine each time I fuel up.

Akeap    0

Ok many thanks for the information. I know it's a finger in the wind subject due to many differences in environment etc.

The reason I ask is the boat will be used at a members club who pay per tow for wakeboarding or wakesurfing and is being delivered tomorrow.

The manager of he club wants to try and work out how much roughly fuel will be used so in petrol as we will have buy fuel in jerry cans an know roughly when fill up will be needed and not book a tow around that time.

In regards to convert to lpg, in the UK (we will be the only club with an RI 217 in the county I believe) we have onsite lpg tank with lpg and I believe the cost is about 49 pence per litre and petrol is £1.21 per litre so much cheaper for the club to run the boat. Also the lake is a nature reserve so needs to be a bit more environmentally friendly.

Only a few hours until the boat is delivered and super excited to be able to drive and ride behind it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheels    151

Where are you going to put the lpg tank?

Akeap    0

Where are you going to put the lpg tank?

I will have to check this with our Centurion dealer who will carry this out. But I imagine to replace the petrol tank with LPG tank?

InfinitySurf    302

Be interesting to find out if power is the same with LPG as well, since those engines are geared for low end torque

Akeap    0

Well it took until the following season to get the LPG conversion as the dealer was delayed in getting the work carried out.Performance seems OK generally, maybe a slight hit to "out of the hole" performance if loaded fully.

The location of the tank is by the amps/ batteries compartment, don't know if this is a good idea or not but seems to work, although from what I can tell the tank isn't that big and the inlet nozzle is pretty small bore.

InfinitySurf    302
On 7/4/2018 at 6:55 AM, Akeap said:

Well it took until the following season to get the LPG conversion as the dealer was delayed in getting the work carried out.Performance seems OK generally, maybe a slight hit to "out of the hole" performance if loaded fully.

The location of the tank is by the amps/ batteries compartment, don't know if this is a good idea or not but seems to work, although from what I can tell the tank isn't that big and the inlet nozzle is pretty small bore.

Really interesting conversion.

What did you end up getting on gallons per hour for fuel?

Have you had enough time to know what your usage is for the LPG...is it working out to be a lot cheaper for you guys? If you do not have significant power loss, sounds like a pretty cool idea!

carguy79ta    67

Also how many lbs/gallon tank do you have.  A pic would be awesome! I think the tank would be smallish.  An upright 100 lb. Tank is about 16in x 48in  about 15 gallons. A special tank to fit in there would be shorter and wide.  Basically you can't go out for long with a 15gal tank. Interesting idea tho.