Kaiguy702

2014 fx44 ballast bags

Kaiguy702    8

So I can't decide on a bag for my rear locker... I've had boat shop tell me to put 300lb bags and then I've had another say a 750. So what do you guys use? I called wakemakers and they have the 740 on sale for 129. Here: https://www.wakemakers.com/wakemakers-rear-lbs-ballast-bag-740-blem.html

But then I also see they have an "Enzo specific bag". But when I told the people over the phone I had an fx44 they said there is no bag that will fit perfect/made for my exact boat. So what is this Enzo bag for??? Here: https://www.wakemakers.com/wakemakers-centurion-enzo-ballast-bag.html

Thanks for the help/suggestions! ...and YES I've searched and searched for surf settings and ballast bag topics- I have zero luck with the search on here.

CO Surfer    289

Your boat has Ramfill, correct? Get the 750 lb bag. 300 is WAYYYYY too small.

The Enzo bag was for older model boats without Ramfill.

Kaiguy702    8
Your boat has Ramfill, correct? Get the 750 lb bag. 300 is WAYYYYY too small.

The Enzo bag was for older model boats without Ramfill.

Yes I have ramfill. The 750 bag just seems huge to stuff into the locker. But I will try it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CO Surfer    289

Here's another option. Attached are photos I took of the locker compartment on my '16 SV233. post-7344-0-66497000-1491965415_thumb.jpgpost-7344-0-38250400-1491965437_thumb.jpgpost-7344-0-72446400-1491965457_thumb.jpgpost-7344-0-10431700-1491965474_thumb.jpg

The first photo is the front of the compartment by the rear seat. 2nd is the back of the locker. 3rd is the length measured to the blower hose. Last photo shows how short it gets past the hose looking to the back of the boat.

I will be buying a Wakemakers LBS bag that will measure 15" tall by 25" wide by 50" long. It will not fill all the way but it will definitely fill the entire locker. I have a slightly smaller bag in the other locker.

I guarantee your locker will be bigger than mine. Get the biggest bag you can. I used a Tsunami over the side pump last year that worked fine but will be integrating it into the factory touchscreen this weekend. I'll do a write up on how to do it in the next week or two if you're interested.

Kaiguy702    8
Here's another option. Attached are photos I took of the locker compartment on my '16 SV233. post-7344-0-66497000-1491965415_thumb.jpgpost-7344-0-38250400-1491965437_thumb.jpgpost-7344-0-72446400-1491965457_thumb.jpgpost-7344-0-10431700-1491965474_thumb.jpg

The first photo is the front of the compartment by the rear seat. 2nd is the back of the locker. 3rd is the length measured to the blower hose. Last photo shows how short it gets past the hose looking to the back of the boat.

I will be buying a Wakemakers LBS bag that will measure 15" tall by 25" wide by 50" long. It will not fill all the way but it will definitely fill the entire locker. I have a slightly smaller bag in the other locker.

I guarantee your locker will be bigger than mine. Get the biggest bag you can. I used a Tsunami over the side pump last year that worked fine but will be integrating it into the factory touchscreen this weekend. I'll do a write up on how to do it in the next week or two if you're interested.

I'd love to plumb it in and connect to the touchscreen but the 2014 firmware doesn't allow that... 2015+ you can.

My lockers seem similar. My partner measured them today. I think we're gonna go with those 740s on wakemakers outlet section. I have to call them b/c under description it says:

Description

NO FITTINGS ARE INCLUDED WITH THIS BALLAST BAG

Due to a welding error the fill and drain ports were miss aligned from the original design affecting efficiency of draining.

Size: 50" x 25" x 15" / Weight: 740 lbs.

CO Surfer    289

Hmmm, wonder what they did. I like their bags because they have several ports.

My guess is the ports in the bottom of the bag would be a bit higher up the side of the bag instead of being right at the bottom of the bag. That definitely would not allow them to drain all the way if you ever wanted to put in an integrated pump system. If all you're planning on using is an over the side pump, it would likely not be a big deal.

Kaiguy702    8
Hmmm, wonder what they did. I like their bags because they have several ports.

My guess is the ports in the bottom of the bag would be a bit higher up the side of the bag instead of being right at the bottom of the bag. That definitely would not allow them to drain all the way if you ever wanted to put in an integrated pump system. If all you're planning on using is an over the side pump, it would likely not be a big deal.

Yeah i plan to just get the tsunami and toss it in manually. So should I buy another 750 and put it on the port side side? No matter what I plan to buy one for the port locker. We don't surf goofy and if we do it's b/c of a friend coming with... so no need for double locker bags IMHO.

CO Surfer    289

Other people on here could answer that question better than me. I only had the one bag last year and moved it from side to side. What a huge pain.

We surf both sides so I'm buying a second bag and will fill both at the start of the day and leave both filled the entire day. I'll switch sides using Ramfill.

You could definitely go with only one bag. Two might make it a little better though.

stoked    1,039

Yeah i plan to just get the tsunami and toss it in manually. So should I buy another 750 and put it on the port side side? No matter what I plan to buy one for the port locker. We don't surf goofy and if we do it's b/c of a friend coming with... so no need for double locker bags IMHO. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends how much counter weight the FX44 likes. Like CO Surfer says, we fill bags on both sides, then use the Ramfill to switch back and forth, so for us, the bags are the counter. Personally I'd get two, If you ever do pick up a goofy crew member or want to ride heal side, it'd be way easier on you to just fill both sacs, then use the Ram to switch, you'd just be filling and draining once. Where with just one, you'd be filling, draining, filling, draining, filling, draining, etc, etc.

JJOcean    30

I'd love to plumb it in and connect to the touchscreen but the 2014 firmware doesn't allow that... 2015+ you can. My lockers seem similar. My partner measured them today. I think we're gonna go with those 740s on wakemakers outlet section. I have to call them b/c under description it says: Description NO FITTINGS ARE INCLUDED WITH THIS BALLAST BAG Due to a welding error the fill and drain ports were miss aligned from the original design affecting efficiency of draining. Size: 50" x 25" x 15" / Weight: 740 lbs. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should be able to connect it to your touchscreen on your 2014. I'm having 2 bags plumbed in my rear lockers of my 2014 SV244 next week and they will be controlled through the touchscreen's existing port & starboard PNP controls.

I almost went with the 740lb bags, but ultimately just had them build custom bags that fit exactly, so I wouldn't have any pushing up on the cup holders and such. The custom bags spec'd out at 645lb each. The 740lb are certainly more economical though.

InfinitySurf    302

JJOcean...who is hooking it up to your 2014 software? I have the exact same boat..I have seen MANY threads where people tried and failed to connect it to the 2014 software (both rear PNP bags) cause there was some error that does not support it, even tho it does show them under the ballast settings. On my boat, they were able to connect the bow sac to software since that is a dealer option, but I had to get toggles installed for both bags in rear lockers and know of no software update that allows a 2014 to be wired directly.

However, if that has changed and there is an update....I would LOVE to change it over.

Can you please let me know if it ends up working for you and how you did it? My boat is actually at the dealer right now and one of the things that is being done is the most current software update cause my CATS does not seem to always work right....and last weekend, the ballast for my bow sac "disappeared" and I was not able to use it.

FYI....is it possible that you will have to get the toggles for your rear sacs if there has not been some kind of update from Fineline that allows it to be directly hooked up. If they have created an update, I know that will make a LOT of people very happy!!

JJOcean    30

My dealer is doing it. I also talked to Fineline directly before I turned it over to the dealer of what would need to be ordered/connected to enable it all on the touchscreen. Basically, he said "you need the PDM parts to make it work". Neither expressed any concerns to me about it working.

Outside of the parts list you'd expect to need (pumps & plumbing), there's 3 additional parts - PDM power harness, PDM (ballast box) and PNP Add On Ballast Kit that Fineline said are needed to make it all work/connect. I assume those 3 parts are the items missing from our boats to make it all work.

Like I said, the work isn't getting done until next week, but I'll let you know how it goes. They're also updating my software, swapping out my Ramfill valves for the new ones and fixing my CATS. They said the pin that connects the CATS arm to the rudder is missing ... how's that happen?

InfinitySurf    302

I also talked directly to Fineline when my boat was done and so did the dealer cause they thot it had to be possible to connect to software system...Fineline said that 2014 had a glitch for rear locker PnP and it was not possible (which is why only the front sac was directly wired)...but that was at end of 2015, so perhaps they have figured out how to fix it. All other 2014 models that I have seen with PnP where done the same way. (anyone else on CC been able to wire directly to firmware?)

They are also replacing my Ramfill valves over to the Valterra, while it in shop getting the other warranty work done.

Interesting thought on pin missing from CATS....how did you figure out that was the issue? Just trying to determine if that may be whats going on with mine tho I figure it must have a software issue since my bow sac "disappeared" recently. Did the CATS system not work at all for you after one day, or just start working erratically...I have a hard time figuring out how pin could be missing too unless it was never installed when it came from factory, but then I would think it never would have worked right.

Love to hear back from you on if it does end up working so I can swap mine out, hope it works out for you. The toggles are not bad and you cannot even see them where installed, but occasionally they get bumped om/off by mistake cause they are down near the key and would be nice if they could be operated strickly from the screen, dont wanna risk burning up my pump motor.

JJOcean    30

Hope it works out too. Everybody involved - service mgr to parts guy to Fineline knows the year, model and VIN of my boat. I talked to Fineline, dealer service mgr talked to Fineline and dealer parts guy talked to Fineline all about the same install on different dates - conversation and parts list all the same from all 3 discussions. There are no toggle switches in the parts list. The only way the pumps can be turned on is via the touchscreen. Major breakdown in communication if it doesn't work. Would never have thought it wouldn't work since the options are sitting there in the software grayed out. I'll let you know end of next week.

Missing pin in CATS is easy to see once you remove the floor - arm moves and you can see it isn't attached to the CATS fin. Dealer confirmed it. I'm 99.9% sure it worked the day I purchased it in December (buddy's eyes under boat when I articulated it & a mechanic run through of boat), but it didn't appear to adjust attitude of the boat on the first water run in March after it was de-winterized. Immediately popped it up on lift, moved CATS via screen and no rudder movement when looking under boat. Absolutely nothing bumped or hit out on water. Have no idea how the pin gets removed & disappears though.

Kaiguy702    8

I've talked to Jesse and Roger at Centurion directly numerous time and they both confirm the 14 PNP/locker bags will not work on the touchscreen. Even though they are on my screen.

I've also had the same confirmed from Melanie at century marine and last but not least Mitch at M&M water sports in Utah.

So I'm curious to see how this will go...

JJOcean    30

As a follow up, the short story is that I got both 645lb bags installed and plumbed into the rear lockers.  The longer story is that despite multiple resources at Fineline and the dealer stating that the PNP options could be turned on for my boat, they cannot be integrated into the touchscreen where everything works seamlessly.  To be exact, you can turn on the PNP options and run the pumps on a 2014, but in doing so it turns off the ramfill options. It was fully installed on my boat, so there is no speculation. The software in 2015's accommodates both ramfill & PNP, but not 2014 and you can't run the 2015 version on the 2014. So after installing, uninstalling, reinstalling & several calls with Fineline, we eventually got to a resolution I'm happy with.

So ... the install was modified to put 2 switches hidden behind the lip of the dash under the steering wheel, so nobody would accidentally bump them on.  I'm very happy with how the bags completely fill the rear lockers - nice to get an added 1,290 lbs back there.  I also ended up inserting a cotter pin in the bottom channel of each engine panel to keep them from popping in and/or sliding back towards the ramfill drain valves.  They bags don't bow the panels, but they do lift/shift them when filling that causes the panel to pop out.  If I held them while filling - no problem, but I don't want to do that every time.  The pins solved that.

JJOcean    30

Pic of the bags installed and full ...

PNP full both sm.jpg

InfinitySurf    302

Dang, I was hoping they had figured out a fix for the 2014 firmware. My fill buttons are in same place you mentioned tho and its not bad, so not a big deal to me really.

I get a great wave, big with good push...I am just trying to figure out how to lengthen the wave some to make a longer pocket. I also have the bow sac but does not make much of a difference on my boat by adding the weight in bow, probably just cause its such a big boat, it takes an extreme amount of weight to counter all the weight I have at the back. Will be ordering lead bags soon and will see what that does both using at back, at front....and combination of both.

Weird cause a suck gate makes the wave a lot longer, so guessing its the change in the delayed convergence that makes the big difference on this boat. I Just have not messed with the suckgate much yet and due to design, the gate has to be placed perfectly to stick and work well. Sure I will get a lot more testing in later this summer. Been more about the kids so far....soon, I will be going out during week more often and will have time to dedicate to surfing perfection.

JJOcean    30

I asked them to modify the 2014 software because there are a lot of owners of 2014's that would want to do this.  They claimed it would "cost them $100K to do it, so it won't happen".  Hard to believe that cost given the fact that the functions both can be turned on/off ... just need to modify probably a small amount of code to prevent graying of the options.  The 2 systems have no reliance on each other.  One has valves the other has dedicated pumps.  Anyway, that's the details.