Sign in to follow this  
Idaho Mike

Air Compressor Recommendations?

Idaho Mike    29

I have two vehicles, a boat trailer, and umpteen kazillion bikes and balls that constantly need to be inflated. I'd like to have an air compressor that's portable, quiet, and up to the job of all these things. I was thinking that there's a model out there that keeps an air reservoir full, where it sits atop the unit that inflates it, and you can just pick up the reservoir portion and walk it over to the bikes/car/trailer etc. and then inflate. But online I can't seem to find one of these. Was I imagining this or does it actually exist.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Wylie_Tunes    146

Portable as in operates off 12V DV or 110 AV? On average, DC limits the CFM but expands the use, where as AC gets you greater CFM but limits you to a wall socket.

Wylie_Tunes    146

So portable as in pick up and move around more that put in the back of the SUV and run it off an ACC socket then. No need for for an oil bath motor for occasional use like tires and blow guns. A storage tank is great for blow gun use and small air tools for short periods. Otherwise, a good CFM motor and no tank works great for just inflating.

If you want a high output 12V, check out the 4WD sites and parts houses. Options there that will quickly inflate big tires off 12V. Just may need to beef up the 12V socket though.

• Like 1

truekaotik    458

I have two vehicles, a boat trailer, and umpteen kazillion bikes and balls that constantly need to be inflated. I'd like to have an air compressor that's portable, quiet, and up to the job of all these things. I was thinking that there's a model out there that keeps an air reservoir full, where it sits atop the unit that inflates it, and you can just pick up the reservoir portion and walk it over to the bikes/car/trailer etc. and then inflate. But online I can't seem to find one of these. Was I imagining this or does it actually exist.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

To answer your question properly, you didn't imagine it, Steele or Rigid is a brand that does what your asking. You can also use a reservoir tank attached to a air compressor in your garage and detach it as well. I have seen this many times, so you don't have to carry the compressor portion with you or have to worry about power source somewhere. Now days they make them pretty small and convenient to move around weight wise with the compressor attached to the tank so they are harder to find. Most basic tankless air compressors will be portable and up to the basic jobs of inflating tires or balls mentioned as well but needs a power source to work. Edited by truekaotik
  • Like 1

h20king    794

Like true said a small ridgid pancake compressor will do the trick and not break the bank. Another option we also use is a storage tank that is tied to the compressor for the air bags on our truck. Both are tucked up out of sight on the underside of our truck. It has been super convenient to have a built in fill station .

Stretch    409

sounds like you don't need anything crazy. I would look at a nice simple unit then drop one of these

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Multi-Purpose-Air-Tank/50126548?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-CompressorsDiyAndStationary-_-50126548:Kobalt&CAWELAID=&kpid=50126548&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=487&k_clickID=fdcc9858-b8cb-48f9-a08a-401e9aaa31b6&gclid=CjwKEAjw2qzHBRChloWxgoXDpyASJAB01Io0fghmiar47hbt0eldtuyu53MqiDr7ecPUN5VtPcVZmRoCaK7w_wcB

in line tanks beside it. Simply unhook the extra reservoir and take it wherever you want. Plus extra air storage when operating normally that can band-aid not having a bigger tank/motor.

viking    491

Instead of creating a new thread I'll piggy back off this one :good:

Anybody have experience with any 220v 80gal standup compressors for home shop?  Looking at single phase for operation of a car lift and various air tools.  I don't want to break the bank but want a good unit that will last.

Thanks