Sign in to follow this  
Gollas108

new Tower speakers? Wet Sounds

Gollas108    9

Hey guys im looking at upgrading my Tower Speakers i currently run 6 Diamond Audio 6.5 tower speakers and thinking about selling them and going with 4 REV 10 wet sounds speakers

my diamond audio's are super loud but everyone craves about the wet sounds and ive never heard the REV 10 whats your thoughts

h20king    794

What are you waiting for ? You only think your 6.5's are loud until you hear 4 properly powered REV 10's you will be blown away.

• Like 1

Cwazy1    89

IMO unless you're wakeboarding, theres no reason to go with 2 pairs of rev10s. They will be louder than all your interior speakers combined and are complete overkill for wakesurfing.

But if you enjoy the rafting up part of boating and showing off how loud your cans run, then sure, why not.

Wylie_Tunes    146

With a small speaker, volume is sometimes perceived as loud, but in reality, it can be a lack of mid-bass or an overly aggressive tweeter irritating the ears. The perception of loud. Im not saying a smaller speaker cant play loud or not sound good, but rather that a larger speaker may not seem much louder, when actually, it is. Its just that much more pleasing to the ears when you have better balance and warmth. The Rev-10 will deliver here. You will have 4 times the speaker surface area, so yes, it will play louder. The Rev-10 will also produce deeper mid-bass, something no amount of smaller speaker can do. All this without even an upgrade in amp wattage. This will be a substantial upgrade.

For two pair, the Wet Sounds Syn-2.3HP or the SD-2 would be my amps of choice.

Chexi    35

You probably will not need 4 REV 10s, even at wakeboarding distance. 2 will likely be fine.

Chexi    35

More is more expensive. I am not sure it is noticeably better, and there is a downside to more (beyond the cost). You have more headroom and fewer head bumps on the speakers, with 2 than with 4. There is also the extra amp(s) and the space they take up, and more importantly, the extra power draw / extra battery you might need, and perhaps upgraded alternator... It is not as simple as adding 2 speakers. If you wire them in parallel, you probably do not have to worry about another amp, but your power needs are going to go up with 4 vs 2, whether it requires any additional batteries, better alternator, etc., may or may not be the case, but they need to be at least considered.

I realize that I am in the minority here, but if I could get great sound at riding distance with 2 and great + smidge with 4, I would take great with 2 all day long.

Edited by Chexi
  • Like 2

Nick213    583

You are correct on everything you said.

A lot of people on this form know I go stupid on my stereo builds on every boat I've had so the comment I made Is slightly funny.

Chexi I have 18 WS speakers 7 amps and 3 interstate group29 batteries in my boat ;)

Edited by Nick213
  • Like 1

Chexi    35

Haha. Turn it up and I will go outside. I will probably be able to hear it!

SurferAdam    168

I have 4 Rev 10's on my FS33, best decision I ever made. They're insanely loud, great for surfing and partying at the beach.

Idaho Mike    29

I agree completely with what Chexi said.

I have two REv10's, which are loud enough to make my ears bleed, even 100' back on a wakeboard. There is no need for four of them, and I think the drawbacks far outweigh the benefits (if there are any). Spend that extra money on a better subwoofer, or the Rev410s, which actually sound way better than the Rev10s. I sorta wish I had the REV410s so there wouldn't be a big horn tweeter cutting through the middle of the woofer and hindering the bass.

Wylie_Tunes    146

wouldn't be a big horn tweeter cutting through the middle of the woofer and hindering the bass

In reality, the pro-axial compression driver horn flare's effect on mid-bass, is not audible. If you do the math, the horn flare is deducting from the middle of the cone, so the amount of surface area lost, is not a factor. Also, we would never actually get bass from this pod anyway, its all mid-bass. Need to leave the bass to the subwoofers, as this is pod thats intended to run hi-pass. The pod volume is going to effect mid-bass depth and output far greater than the area lost to the horn flare. To close it out, the output of the tweeter greatly impacts the perceived mid-bass output. A little EQ attenuation on the higher frequencies, and you will find there is some serious mid-bass there.

I do agree if you want more mid-bass, add Rev-410. The twin 10" mid-bass drivers and the added pod displacement are the way to go. Two pair of Rev-10 certainly will win in the peak output arena. A pair of Rev-410 is the best sounding setup IMO, and still has solid wake range projection. The rev-3some is a good blend of both. In the end, the tower design has a lot to do with which setup one can go with, without some radical fab'ing.

As to more amps for a 2nd pair of Rev-10...........Wet Sounds offer two 2 channel amps that will drive 2 pair of rev-10 at optimal wattage. No need for a 2nd amp. Two pair of speaker is also more efficient at produce more volume, compared to more amp wattage.

Nick213    583

I agree completely with what Chexi said.

I have two REv10's, which are loud enough to make my ears bleed, even 100' back on a wakeboard. There is no need for four of them, and I think the drawbacks far outweigh the benefits (if there are any). Spend that extra money on a better subwoofer, or the Rev410s, which actually sound way better than the Rev10s. I sorta wish I had the REV410s so there wouldn't be a big horn tweeter cutting through the middle of the woofer and hindering the bass.

With ANY stereo no matter the size or quality of it...... to each there own.

Gollas108    9

ive been looking at doing the REV 410's with 2 REV 10 but just bec of the horn but its the same price as doing just 4 rev 10's and i kinda like the look of 4 REV 10's when you off set them and gives you little walk room down the middle to not bang your head lol but also any of you guys running the Swivel Clamp's or the fixed kinda back and 4th on that part

DrNate    426

It's kind of funny that this thread has turned into 2 REV 10's vs. 4 REV 10's.

I vote 2 because that's what I have. But I also don't judge because I am a closet huge stereo guy but have to dial it back for my the sake of staying married :)

• Like 1

Nick213    583

lol I have no idea how it turned into that Nate!

The OP started the thread stating he wanted to do 4REV's ;)

• Like 1

truekaotik    458

Actually the 3 some Rev set up is MONEY on a SD6.... the 410 has more mid-bass and bass because of pod displacement but let's be real about this as they are normally tuned into bass frequencies when done right, lol. But if you like the look of 4 Rev10's they throw killer sound at 400+ watts each,they wake up, the 300 to each pod is just ok in my opinion.

Edited by truekaotik