ericl11

2017 S238 Wave Setup - Yes - another one

ericl11    6

Feel bad adding another one of these threads but didn't want to hijack the others.

Finally got her out this weekend but only had a couple of hours to play around. My local lake water level was too low to put her in at the ramp so had to travel a bit which limited my time.

I did get the 550 PNP sacs upgraded to 750s but haven't received the weights yet to put in the port storage (or move around). I tried many different settings and have to say I was pretty disappointed. I'm hoping I can dial it in or make great improvements before we're in full swing.

Didn't have a full crew on the boat just three teenager girls and they probably didn't each have 120lb on them. I'm at about 190. When we had a surfer the other two were on the bow trying to get some sun. So no weight on the sides. Full tank of gas. Not much gear on the boat.

My oldest daughter liked to surf at about 10.4mph on the 07 enzo and that's where we started with everything filled but the bow sacs, in 12' of water. Wave was barely rideable. It wasn't until I kicked it up to about 11.2+mph that the wave cleaned up a bit and my daughter was able to ride a little more comfortably. That's the speed we should be going any way and she did get comfortable with it after a few minutes. Wave was still very short and just not very clean. Quicksurf didn't seem to help much

As suggested by others, I did empty some of the starboard bag and listed the boat and it made a noticeable difference, still not comparable to my old enzo with an enzo sac but getting better. It does appear to me that it wants to ride listed.

I should have logged all the settings I tried but was playing on the go. Any suggestions appreciated.

BTW, love the 409 and the ZeroOff is a big upgrade from my perfectpass gps.

h20king    794

More weight. You need another 700 lbs on the surf side then run listed. 700 lbs counter weight when running regular and about 300 -400 lbs counter weight when running goofy.

Cdifranco    463

What he said^^^^ Swap out some of them teenage girls for some sumo friends

• Like 2

h20king    794

Started with the wakemakers kit but had a bag failure so switched to a larger fly high kit from NW Boat Sport's plus added 640 LBS of lead to the boat as well. We put 200 lbs of bags under each rear sack and have 240 LBS of lead we move side to side or can be split evenly if wanted. We have pop bags so they are 40 pounds a bag. We went with 240 up front so it could be split evenly .

MFaso    56

Started with the wakemakers kit but had a bag failure so switched to a larger fly high kit from NW Boat Sport's plus added 640 LBS of lead to the boat as well. We put 200 lbs of bags under each rear sack and have 240 LBS of lead we move side to side or can be split evenly if wanted. We have pop bags so they are 40 pounds a bag. We went with 240 up front so it could be split evenly .

Ahh, I remember you saying that now. The wakemakers was too heavy for the inner wall between the motor and the sack or something? I assume the 2016 to 2017 didn't change much.

Eric said he upgraded the 550s to 750s so I'm thinking he just upgrade the back 2 bags.

DjOM21    59

Gentlemen - let's distill down the 2017 set ups here:

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php/topic/11810-official-2017-supreme-surf-ballasttab-setup-thread/#entry158778

Keeping the info in one thread should make it easier to chase down a good setup.

We can post up what works and what doesn't work too. Maybe the mods can sticky this set up thread so it's at the top and members can easily see it.

Edited by DjOM21

ericl11    6

Ahh, I remember you saying that now. The wakemakers was too heavy for the inner wall between the motor and the sack or something? I assume the 2016 to 2017 didn't change much.

Eric said he upgraded the 550s to 750s so I'm thinking he just upgrade the back 2 bags.

That's right. I had the PNP rear ballast setup which is two 550 sacs in each locker. I simply replaced them with 750s. Adding a total of 400lbs to prior weight. Now trying to find weight as my dealer is having trouble getting them in.

MFaso    56

Gentlemen - let's distill down the 2017 set ups here:

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php/topic/11810-official-2017-supreme-surf-ballasttab-setup-thread/#entry158778

Keeping the info in one thread should make it easier to chase down a good setup.

We can post up what works and what doesn't work too. Maybe the mods can sticky this set up thread so it's at the top and members can easily see it.

I'm with you but he isn't posting his setup. He is asking what works so he can try new things. I thought that thread was for posting your "working" setup. If not that thread will be filled with discussion on setup instead of actual setup and we won't be able to find good info. Know what I mean?

Cwazy1    89

Maybe I should edit that thread to include discussion of setups?

Thoughts?

I'm with you but he isn't posting his setup. He is asking what works so he can try new things. I thought that thread was for posting your "working" setup. If not that thread will be filled with discussion on setup instead of actual setup and we won't be able to find good info. Know what I mean?

MFaso    56

I liked that it was just setups personally. It removes the chase of needing to go through pages of posts to find an actual setup. If it uses just your template then everyone can just find their boat model and try different things. Also, keeping it just to setups allows people to bring the site up on their phone while on the boat testing, more quickly.

How can we get your post pinned by the way? The ease of forum use while on the boat is going to be huge for me this summer being new and all. If not, i'll just be printing and laminating instructions, looking like a real loser out there. :)

• Like 1

ericl11    6

Almost embarrassed to ask this out in the open but maybe it had something to do with how bad the wave was on my first trip out alone. I played with the quick surf quite a bit but didn't do anything with the wake plate. In fact, I don't remember seeing a separate control for this trim tab. Is it part of the quick surf or did I miss a big part of my in-service by the dealer?

Looking at my pictures and now seeing trim tab on the display. Got some work to do. :)

Edited by ericl11

Cwazy1    89

The adjustment is on the steering column.

I leave it at zero, position is fully up.

First thing I would do is get into deeper water.. 12' is not enough. You will not be able to establish a good baseline and you'll be chasing your tail unless you get into deeper water. Id shoot for 20' at a minimum. Next thing I would do is get a real crew and get them in the back of the boat. The couple hundred pounds of crew in the front is doing nothing for you. You might as well be in the boat by yourself. As for speed- 10.8 at a minimum, but 11.2+ would be my recommendation. Seems like you already figured that out. You will always benefit from a slight list. Unless you want to bang a couple transfers each run, favor the surf side with weight. This goes for any boat with any surf system. Anyhow, get into some deeper water and report back with your settings.

h20king    794

Almost embarrassed to ask this out in the open but maybe it had something to do with how bad the wave was on my first trip out alone. I played with the quick surf quite a bit but didn't do anything with the wake plate. In fact, I don't remember seeing a separate control for this trim tab. Is it part of the quick surf or did I miss a big part of my in-service by the dealer?

Looking at my pictures and now seeing trim tab on the display. Got some work to do. :)

set it at about 20% for regular side and about 90% for goofy. Play with it I think you will be surprised at how much of an impact it has on the wake.

DUDE?! Seriously? haha.. It's on the left side of the steering column. Like a turn signal switch. Start with it at 0% and start bumping it down a few percent at a time, you'll see how it effects the wave.. It works well.

Edited by South Shore Marina NJ

ericl11    6

is 12'+ right? I've always used 10'+ as a guideline. Deep, fresh water is hard to find in Florida. I tried to remove that variable by making sure I was in 12'-20' but the 20' is a very small sliver in the lake I was in.

First thing I would do is get into deeper water.. 12' is not enough. You will not be able to establish a good baseline and you'll be chasing your tail unless you get into deeper water. Id shoot for 20' at a minimum. Next thing I would do is get a real crew and get them in the back of the boat. The couple hundred pounds of crew in the front is doing nothing for you. You might as well be in the boat by yourself. As for speed- 10.8 at a minimum, but 11.2+ would be my recommendation. Seems like you already figured that out. You will always benefit from a slight list. Unless you want to bang a couple transfers each run, favor the surf side with weight. This goes for any boat with any surf system. Anyhow, get into some deeper water and report back with your settings.

ericl11    6

Unfortunately, yes, I was serious. Enzo had tabs, my fishing boat has tabs, for some reason had too many new toys to play with and neglected the 238 tabs. I was hyper focused on the touch screen controls... I guess... Got it now. Another excuse to spend more time on the water with it.

DUDE?! Seriously? haha.. It's on the left side of the steering column. Like a turn signal switch. Start with it at 0% and start bumping it down a few percent at a time, you'll see how it effects the wave.. It works well.

is 12'+ right? I've always used 10'+ as a guideline. Deep, fresh water is hard to find in Florida. I tried to remove that variable by making sure I was in 12'-20' but the 20' is a very small sliver in the lake I was in.

I guess it's a matter of opinion. I can see a dramatic effect on the wave once we get under 15' for sure. I can feel a difference under 20. I generally shoot for 20' at a minimum. If you can only find 12-15' you'll definitely need to compensate with extra weight.

And I was just busting ya about the tab, there's a lot on these boats and easy to lose track of things until you have some time in it.. Keep us posted on how you make out.

Edited by South Shore Marina NJ