mooseX

considering a 2016 S238

mooseX    0

I finally dumped my slammed' TIGE 24V after 4 years. Great boat. Never broke once except once for a stiff steering cable. Amazing for sure...BUT

I always wanted a Centurion for the DEEP V. Flat bottom wake boats make me ill. Every day the wind would come up on Tahoe like clockwork after lunch and the ride back with the TIGE's nearly flat bottom hull to the mooring was just fkn miserable. Boat shaking,,,creaking rattling and Slammin' downwind runs with massive spray over the bow...or crawl back and make the whole crew sick

Well now I can't afford a Centurion Ri237 but the S238 is within my budget

Big questions>

How much weight can I add? I like to run a listed boat. Not that interested in a evenly weighted set up

.None of those waves ever impressed me

Hows' the goofy side?

Anyone have pics of a big a*s S238 goofy side wave?

And finally why the fk' did fineline only add 1000 lbs of quick fill? (just venting lol) If I built it I'd have quick fill do the entire ballast like 5000 lbs...sigh

Edited by mooseX

Cwazy1    89

Most people with 238's run *near* 1000 in the rear lockers, and then run between 400-800 of lead around the rear half of the boat. You can also sub out some lead for ballast bags running along the side bench seating, piggy plumbed to the rears. This is personal preference depending on how much storage space you can sacrifice.

mooseX    0

how bout' midships ballast?

The Tige was big...we had 3200 per side

Edited by mooseX

mooseX    0

it had a decent goofy side wave

post-2529-0-25500600-1489984934_thumb.jpg

Edited by mooseX

mooseX    0

Port side was cleaner but equal size

I don't care so much about storage. it would be a day boat..like surf in the morning...then work or whatever

I try not to have more than 4 in the boat so we can get more pulls..ie I want to slam it

mooseX    0

found a '16 about 8 hours away 58 hours on an H5. I was hoping for a 409

I guess that's an upgrade. I looked it up it's only 328 cu inches but has good torque

boat has lots of factory the options. like all of them short of a really big motor

nice bimini

lots of plug and play ballast

full custom cover

after market pretty killer stereo

matching rim/spare tire

etc

Private party. Boat looks showroom. Was stored in a heated garage. Buffed out after every session. Its like new

they want 70k. Maybe I offer them 67..

Edited by mooseX

MFaso    56

found a '16 about 8 hours away 58 hours on an H5. I was hoping for a 409

I guess that's an upgrade. I looked it up it's only 328 cu inches but has good torque

boat has lots of factory the options. like all of them short of a really big motor

nice bimini

lots of plug and play ballast

full custom cover

after market pretty killer stereo

matching rim/spare tire

etc

Private party. Boat looks showroom. Was stored in a heated garage. Buffed out after every session. Its like new

they want 70k. Maybe I offer them 67..

Not sure on your exact budget or if they will go under 70k but if you throw another 5k in you could probably get a brand new 2017 s238. The 2017s have touch screens(the 2016 doesn't) and new tower. If you are taking a loan the payment difference is not going to change much. I just bought a 2017 s238. Closed all the paperwork and loan info within the last month so when I say "just", I mean VERY recently.(It's winter here so I just get to look at it for now)

good luck! let us know how you make out!

mooseX    0

so the new ones have touch screen? doesn't that go against the original idea of the S238> affordable

I'd rather have more quickfill capacity than a dig' dash

Maybe I should offer him 65 and stay firm. I'm good at staying firm.....negotiating that is hehe

it's a private party...not a dealer so he did say we could get 'creative' with the bill of sale to save alot of tax

He also said he'd store it till the snow melted here...for free.

my budget is 70 total. price, taxes, reg to my front door

Edited by mooseX

Cwazy1    89

Just as a point of reference, I was able to negotiate a '16 238 with 50 hours and fully loaded with all upgrades including trailer, down to 70 out the door from a dealer (Seattle is 9.8% tax). That ends up being 62 before taxes/fees.

As mfaso pointed out, a medium build 238 will run you 75 and tax.

I'd say 70 out the door is a good price. Your seller can do whatever he wants with the bill to establish that.

Edited by Cwazy1

MFaso    56

so the new ones have touch screen? doesn't that go against the original idea of the S238> affordable

I'd rather have more quickfill capacity than a dig' dash

Maybe I should offer him 65 and stay firm. I'm good at staying firm.....negotiating that is hehe

it's a private party...not a dealer so he did say we could get 'creative' with the bill of sale to save alot of tax

He also said he'd store it till the snow melted here...for free.

my budget is 70 total. price, taxes, reg to my front door

Touchscreen, yes. I think boat prices are going to go up a little every year regardless. I personally wanted the screen instead of the rocker switches. I would have moved on to another boat that had a screen if not. It's a single screen and smaller than the 120k surfboats out there but better than another 6 switches that I'd probably leave on or have one of my kids hit by mistake. Check out the supreme website, although it does lack pictures in my opinion. I don't think putting 20 pictures up would have killed them. To me, their website could use a ton of work. It doesn't sell boats in my humble opinion. It's a thrown together very poorly and still has last year's flagship s238 video up.

Mike

mooseX    0

I think I'm gonna wait this out see 'till the seller gets more desperate.

I'd like to get a good price when I sell it so getting it cheap is important

Cwazy1    89

Theoretically it'll only get easier and easier to sell as the season gets closer. That is.. unless you live somewhere down south.

mooseX    0

lake tahoe..so central cali'

boat is also in snow country but one state over

he texted me back to see how i was feeling. a def' sign of "I really wanna' sell this boat".

he says him and his son want new yamaha motocross bikes

mooseX    0

Just as a point of reference, I was able to negotiate a '16 238 with 50 hours and fully loaded with all upgrades including trailer, down to 70 out the door from a dealer (Seattle is 9.8% tax). That ends up being 62 before taxes/fees.

As mfaso pointed out, a medium build 238 will run you 75 and tax.

I'd say 70 out the door is a good price. Your seller can do whatever he wants with the bill to establish that.

that's a sick deal. seller is a private party and I'll probably have to get him drunk/stoned to get it for 62. Is is fully optioned with a custom cover so I might give him 65 if he lies like a dog about the purchase price to save on tax...say 30k lol

its got the H5 (52 hours) and not the 409 which bugs me a bit. I really want the 409. I'm right at 6200 ft, I'm praying that motor will pull a slammed 238 with ease.

I've read alot of set up threads and for sure i'd never try to surf a big deep V boat like the 238 stock...no fkn' way. I've seen the stock wave and its a joke... it's gonna get maxed out.

dude is eager to sell..he just text me while I was typing this response..

Edited by mooseX

Cwazy1    89

65 would still be a good deal. The one I was looking at had a ex3 engine, so your h5 was a +5k$ engine upgrade.

The good news is that the 238 isn't super heavy like the ri237, which was under propped for the '16. I think you'll be fine. You'll have to get a high altitude prop anyways.

I completely agree. When I demo'd the first 238, we had it stock and +400 of lead. Wave was awful. It needs to be fully slammed with 1000s in the rear, more bags under the bench, and also lead everywhere.

that's a sick deal. seller is a private party and I'll probably have to get him drunk/stoned to get it for 62. Is is fully optioned with a custom cover so I might give him 65 if he lies like a dog about the purchase price to save on tax...say 30k lol

its got the H5 (52 hours) and not the 409 which bugs me a bit. I really want the 409. I'm right at 6200 ft, I'm praying that motor will pull a slammed 238 with ease.

I've read alot of set up threads and for sure i'd never try to surf a big deep V boat like the 238 stock...no fkn' way. I've seen the stock wave and its a joke... it's gonna get maxed out.

mooseX    0

hi elevation prop will be at the top of the list along with all the ballast.

this particular boat comes with the pnp 500's so I guess set those aside in the old ballast pile lol.

one thing he says he's got some crazy stereo in it and long list of options I can't remember. it's not stock by any stretch which goes along with his 70k price. I won't pay that.

One thing I'd like to see is some of the 238 owners with 'set up' boats to post some wave pics...port and goofy. my crew is half goofy.for once I'm not the only darkie'

mooseX    0

Thanks i'm gonna need all the ballast advice I can get if this deal goes down

I was going to buy a house but you gotta have priorities :devil: